cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Port Protection

david771234
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello,

With the growing use of SMS 2-factor authentication and the various attempts to access people's phone messages to bypass this security, does Public Mobile offer any sort of porting protection and mitigation of sim swap scams?

David

9 REPLIES 9

david771234

Okay, sounds like no, then? Some carriers have for example a private code that only the customer knows that must be provided in advance of a phone number port or sim swap. Some bizarre statements in this thread - this sort of fraud is very prevalent and people are targeted worldwide. 

@esjliv wrote:

Public Mobile posted this article regarding SIM Fraud with a section about how to protect against it: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap

@esjliv , I’ve been thinking of that, especially when I read what it said in that link that you shared. Interesting thing is that Public Mobile will not give Us the option of using an authentication app even though they make the suggestion in their statement below (from their link that you shared)! 

• Set up authentication methods that aren’t text-based: Often, online accounts will require you to set up two-factor-authentication (2FA) for added protection; with 2FA, you need to authenticate yourself with something in addition to your username and password, such as a code that is sent to your phone by text. With SIM swap fraud on the rise, you may want to use something other than your phone number for 2FA like an authenticator app or security key.

hi @david771234 PM does not relies in "bot" agent. You just don't call them on phone but message them  Real persons reply you

@david771234 wrote:

@esjliv social engineering customer service agents to take over phone numbers is a very common scam.

@david771234  perhaps. 

There are ways customers and, people in general, should take care of their own online and personal accounts. Then again, if scammers want to target someone specific, it may be true that they could succeed.

Public Mobile posted this article regarding SIM Fraud with a section about how to protect against it: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/sim-swap

edit typo

@david771234  I do t think the average person will be target of SIM card fraud . And i also hope they pay  CS agents enough money . They wouldn’t be turning to such petty crime 

david771234

@esjliv social engineering customer service agents to take over phone numbers is a very common scam.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@david771234 no, there is no specific port protection with PM

PM is following the CRTC requirements when it comes to port, subscribers will receive a porting authorization text and need to reply YES within 90 mins for any port to proceed 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@david771234  2FA is part of that mitigation to keep you safe . Same with your 4 digit PIN code . Scammer needs your SIM card and account number to make this scam work . Not likely they would have access to this info . Unless one is careless with it 

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@david771234 - unless someone gets access to your My Account (or fools a CSA they are you) then it makes it difficult to swap the sim card. 

edit to add,  see helpful info. here when transferring your number: https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/transfer-your-number

Need Help? Let's chat.