cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor reception for months now

MartyGreen
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi,

For several months now whenever I receive calls the other person says my audio is very choppy. At first I thought it was my phone and rebooted it, added/removed SIM and also double checked APN settings and they seem to be ok. Now my other family members on Public Mobile report the same issues.

I've tried standing 15 feet away from my house and the other caller still hear choppy audio.

I live in Etobicoke so its within the coverage map area.

Please advise as I don't want to change service providers.

25 REPLIES 25

@Mister_E wrote:

I'm seeing issues in Etobicoke as well (M9C area code) - used to be excellent call quality/signal.  Lately, just moving away from a window and further into my condo apartment and the call(s) start to weaken and even drop.

It's at the point that I'm looking at alternate providers for my 3 lines.  I don't think it's the phone(s) since - it's happening with multiple models and used to be fine just a few weeks ago.

Perhaps if PM enabled VoLTE we'd be in better shape.

I suspect that Telus has been moving some more of the 850 and 1900MHz from HSPA over to LTE. This means that phone calls, text messages, and data services on the HSPA network are going to become increasinging more unreliable.

Mister_E

I'm seeing issues in Etobicoke as well (M9C area code) - used to be excellent call quality/signal.  Lately, just moving away from a window and further into my condo apartment and the call(s) start to weaken and even drop.

It's at the point that I'm looking at alternate providers for my 3 lines.  I don't think it's the phone(s) since - it's happening with multiple models and used to be fine just a few weeks ago.

Perhaps if PM enabled VoLTE we'd be in better shape.

@MartyGreen wrote:

have to switch to LTE mode.

@MartyGreen   you can leave it on 3G when you go out as well. Data will work on 3G as well.  In fact, it will be faster on 3G (but ther eis drawback, the latency would be higher).  

MartyGreen

It happened on a call over the weekend and also today, I'd say maybe 30-40% of calls. I've been with Public Mobile for years now but the issue has only been occurring in the last 2 months or so. When I'm out and about and need to use data, I have to switch to LTE mode.

@MartyGreen wrote:

When I receive or make a call that has choppy audio, I hang up, switch to 3G only and that resolves the issue and call person again. The problem is data stops working when on 'WCDMA (3G) only' so I have to turn on 'Auto Connect  LTE/WCDMA/GSM' option again if I need to use data.

@MartyGreen - that is good you found a work around. But unfortunate you need to do that in the first place.

It has been a month now. You still need to perform these actions to get ideal services?

MartyGreen

When I receive or make a call that has choppy audio, I hang up, switch to 3G only and that resolves the issue and call person again. The problem is data stops working when on 'WCDMA (3G) only' so I have to turn on 'Auto Connect  LTE/WCDMA/GSM' option again if I need to use data.

@Nezgar 

That's because it can't.  The only way setting to 3g-only could possibly help with audio quality would be if Pubilc Mobile offered voice service on the LTE network as well (which they don't). 

@MartyGreen   You sure it is not the device itself? Have you try using different kind of headset (like wired, bluetooth, speakerphone)?   Did you try to use the echo test number as provided by @Nezgar  ?  

@MartyGreen  With Public Mobile, your phone will switch to 3G anyway for the duration of a call, so I don't "technically" see how that would improve call quality. I'm curious though to hear any observations you make from the record/playback and echo tests with the aforementioned numbers... maybe test inside and outside, and you can hear what your outgoing audio sounds like in each location, and possibly with different mics (internal, speakerphone, earphones, bluetooth etc)

MartyGreen

I haven't tried using the phone in other areas of Etobicoke as I'm usually at home due to covid. I can hear the other side perfectly fine, they have trouble hearing me. When this happens I usually run out of the house to improve reception but that only works half the time.

Could indoor wifi signals be interfering?

I'm keeping phone on 3G only as an interim solution as I haven't had any issues in the past week.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@MartyGreen- Do you know if this issue occurs in other areas of Etobicoke, or while in other cities? When the other person says you are "choppy" you do not experience the same when hearing them?

To help in troubleshooting if it is your phone, or the phone on the "other end" I recommend tests with someone using a landline, and not a mobile phone on their end as well.

Very useful for testing are these "echo test" numbers, of which there are two Canadian access numbers. Great for testing the audio qualitywithout having to bother someone else:

• +1 416 342 9562 - Toronto, ON
  • +1 250 412 5922 - Victoria, BC

As per https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/

During a test call, try switching between each of speakerphone, toggling the call "on hold", and external headset wired and/or bluetooth to help narrow down if it is the microphone in your device or not.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@MartyGreen - other family members are reporting the same issues. Are these members all on Public Mobile or different providers?

I wonder if towers are being worked on in your area..or, maybe they should be worked on if this is affecting most customers.

Try performing a Reset of the device's Network Settings. Not sure if this will help, since it is affecting multiple users, but it won't hurt to try.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APN settings that you've used before.

Iphone:

To Reset Network Settings, begin by opening the Settings app. Next, tap General -> Transfer or Reset iPhone -> Reset -> Reset Network Settings. and enter your passcode.

Your iPhone will reset network settings and restart itself.

android:

Find and tap Settings > System > Advanced > Reset options > Reset network settings.

maximum_gato/d: that is bravo worthy. 🙂 

maximum_gato
Mayor / Maire

@MartyGreen 

Try toggling airplane mode on/off. It could be a poor connection to the network.

thanks @computergeek541  and @will13am   

will advise more carefully next time

@will13am wrote:

You can try 3G only but I don't see how it would help. 

You're right that it wouldn't help, at least not with a in-call quality issue. It would be another story if the phone wasn't ringing when a call came in.

MartyGreen

Thanks, I'll see if this helps resolve the issue. 

You can try 3G only but I don't see how it would help.  Phone calls are on 3G only.  The phone will auto switch to 3G during the call.  

@MartyGreen wrote:

Phone is Samsung A71, its a public mobile sim

How do I switch to 3G only? 

The options are 

LTE/WCDMA/GSM

WCDMA/GSM

WCDMA only

GSM only

HI @MartyGreen   WCDMA Only.

@MartyGreen wrote:

HI @MartyGreen   With A71, you can try to change your network type to 3G only this way:

1. Swipe up.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Select Connections.
  4. Select Mobile networks.
  5. Select Network mode.
  6. Select your preferred option.

MartyGreen

How do I switch to 3G only? 

The options are 

LTE/WCDMA/GSM

WCDMA/GSM

WCDMA only

GSM only

@MartyGreen wrote:

it fluctuates, on the last call it was 2-3 bars but other person couldn't hear me. 

Do I need to change APN protocol from IPv4/IPv6?

I've kept APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MSS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MSS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

APN setting is for data.  Calls are dependent on signal strength.  2-3 bars should be fine for phone calls.  I am in bit of a coverage hole where I barely hang onto 1 bar indoors.  I have no problems holding a connection for a phone call.  

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @MartyGreen   is the reception ok outside of Etobicoke?  

and what make and model of your phone you have?

3G Only could help.  try it.

MartyGreen

it fluctuates, on the last call it was 2-3 bars but other person couldn't hear me. 

Do I need to change APN protocol from IPv4/IPv6?

I've kept APN: sp.mb.com

MMSC http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc

MSS Proxy: 74.49.0.18

MSS port: 80

MCC: 302

MNC: 220

APN Protocol: IPv4/IPv6

dabr
Mayor / Maire

@MartyGreen   Have you tried setting your network settings to 3G/WCDMA?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@MartyGreen , could something have happened to your phone?  Does the signal strength show really low on your phone?  Was the signal strength a lot better before?  

Need Help? Let's chat.