cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Plan change announcement

J-L
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I currently am and have been for quite awhile on the 60$ 10 G plan ( plus a recurring 2G bonus). My plan renewed YESTERDAY and this morning they have announced a plan change/ reduction ... The 70$ plan with 15G ( with 500MB bonus+500MB autopay bonus that will actually be 16G) is now 60$. It says existing customers may change to this plan immediately or on next renewal. My question is... Since my current $60 plan literally renewed yesterday, if I switch to the NEW 60$ plan effective immediately, will I be charged another 60$ and why won't PM automatically upgrade my plan which is the same cost? 

29 REPLIES 29

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

I think you have also missed an important point in this thread.....as the 2gb of bonus plan data being referred to was a targeted text offer from the fall of 2019 to existing pm customers already on the $60/10gb plan.

You're right about that, and I had that plan at one point as it was offered to anyone who was on the $50 plan (or anyone who knew the promo code).  It no longer makes sense to keep that $60 12GB (then 12.5GB after a correction was made).  I'm only trying to say though that the possible reason for losing the promo has to do with a plan change being made, not because of the new plan not being eligble, and that new customers would get more data than current customers on the current $60 plan.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@darlicious iirc those plans /offers we valid as long as the person met the criteria of the promotion. But many things have changed since 2018-19 especially with the backend which has become more advanced from my understanding ie promo codes, email linking etc.  So if the promo says  it is lost with plan changes  then I would assume that is the truth.  

Would love to be proven wrong 🙂

@J-L 

Going back over old announcement threads from November and December 2019 while I couldn't locate @Alan_K 's post for reference many of the promotions terms and conditions only required that you stayed on an equal plan cost or a higher plan cost to keep your promo data.

I would schedule the plan change on next renewal to the new $60 plan and touch wood!!😃

J-L

@darlicious 

Thank you for all those details!  Yes I think it was a more senior CSA ( Silvio) I think I remember that name when I needed help with something a year or so ago. And thanks I've got my fingers crossed too that I keep my 2gb bonus. As I recall, when I received it, the wording sounded like I would not lose it if I changed plans. It may have said something along the lines of as long as I stay with a50$ or higher plan, or as long as I don't move to a lower plan ( but making a sideways shift to another 60$ plan would  not be moving to a lower plan and if as @computergeek541  mentioned , new customers can use a code to gain  a 2gb bonus.... I hope that as a loyal customer I can keep my 2gb bonus)

@computergeek541 

I think you have also missed an important point in this thread.....as the 2gb of bonus plan data being referred to was a targeted text offer from the fall of 2019 to existing pm customers already on the $60/10gb plan.

J-L

@computergeek541 

I understand that PM puts out those bonus codes for new customers in order to gain new customers, but it feels like they are punishing loyal customers for being loyal. They also need to do more to keep existing customers. 

@J-L wrote:

On the other hand, the 2Gb promo add-on is linked with the old $60 plan so chances are that this add-on will be removed upon the rate plan change as it's not compatible with the new $60 plan.

It's not that the $60 plan isn't compatible with the 2GB bonus.  The issue has to with you being an existinng customer peforming a plan change.  New customers would get 17.5GB with this plan using the applicable promo code.

@J-L 

You almost need another month to digest this information and make a decision. But I think you already know that you won't be staying on your current plan. For now take your 2gb plan data bonus out of the equation. Now do you want to :

1. Save $10 per month and get by on 10.5gb of data on the $50 plan.
  2. Pay the same amount of money per month and gain 3gb of data by choosing to change on next renewal to the new $60/15.5gb plan.

Once you decide which of the above options will work for you best schedule the change plan on next renewal.

Now do you know if you were dealing with a senior CSA with a name you recognize or a newer customer support agent?

By the careful wording of the CSA's response it sounds like they left the door open for a YMMV result when your plan change occurs rather than the usual canned response of you will lose your  2gb plan data promotion.

As per my earlier response.....the relative obscurity of your data promotion (and the probable difficulty of locating the specific terms and conditions of your data promotion) and the fact that it was announced that after a certain date the coding of data promotions would change to ensure that a customer would lose the data once they changed their plan could mean that there is at least a chance of keeping  your data promotion.

Here's a breakdown of the plan data cost after subtracting the $10/30 DAY PLAN cost.

• $60/12gb plan=$4.16/1gb
  • $60/15.5gb plan=$3.22/1gb w/2gb bonus=$2.85/1gb
  • $50/10.5gb plan=$3.80/1gb w/2gb bonus=$3.20/1gb

Whatever your decision I will keep my fingers crossed that you luck out and keep your promo data.🤞😃!!

J-L

Hello everyone, I just got my reply from PM Customer Service Agent. Thank you everyone for all your replies.  I thought you might like confirmation of the result. And for anyone else who may have the same or similar situation now or in the future.  These are excerpts from the information I was given.....

"you are on a plan that is no longer in the market.

The current plan renewed on November 11, 2021, and it cannot be converted retroactively into the new $60 plan.

Since plans are different, the only solution is to schedule a plan change upon the next renewal - on December 11. This can be done from Self-Serve > overview > Change Plan or from my end, upon request.

On the other hand, the 2Gb promo add-on is linked with the old $60 plan so chances are that this add-on will be removed upon the rate plan change as it's not compatible with the new $60 plan.

On the other hand, you'll get 3 GB more on the new plan for the same amount of money, "................

So apparently when the $70 plan was decreased to 60$ on Nov 12, my current plan ceased to exist ( for new customers) although, it now appears ( when I checked the plans page) that what I currently have as my plan now is a 50$ plan... But they are all "new" plans.  So if I switch to the "new" 60$ plan on next renewal I will probably lose the extra 2gb but I will still be up 3 more gb than I currently have for the same price. Hmmm,  But if I switch to the $50 plan will I also lose the 2gb bonus?  ( The way the CSA worded it I'm assuming that is a risk.) ... If I can get what I currently have now for 10$ less, that is also something to think about. ( But if I will lose the 2gb bonus with either change then the "new" 60$ plan is definitely a better option than continuing my current plan).  Too bad they won't change it for me immediately without charging me again, it would be nice to have the extra gb"s now. 

Thanks again everyone, for all your replies and input. This is a GREAT community! 

J-L

@darlicious  what is CCS?

@wetcoaster 

This is the time of year to prepare for all those possible stackable promotions and activate a "data" account when the stars align.Public mobile does usually offer the same promotions during the holidays to both in store and online activations.

CCS now encourages customers to purchase an activation bundle and get it shipped ahead of time for either a pm flash sale or the once monthly third month free credit that CCS offers in conjunction with pm. Stack it with the 5gb bonus data add on for $35+plans and activate in time to load ( hopefully)  some "more the merrier" holiday goodies and for a $40 to $50 upfront investment you will recieve about $200+ in credits and add ons.

Downgrade to the $15 plan on the first renewal after receiving the bonus add ons and you have a ready made add on data plan to reactivate when needed (on large data plan) or every 89/90 days on the $15 plan and you can keep the account going for two years on that initial $40/$50 cost. Stopping along the way to pick up pm goodies if they come along or as some of us have discovered sometimes they just magically appear in your account after a long suspension!

And I always suggest suspending via lost/stolen before midnight eastern on the evening of your renewal so you can keep active voicemail services on your suspended account.

Thanks for clarifying, @J-L ! (And @Anonymous  for refreshing my memory...) And yes, dealing with limited internet choices here as well.

Too bad that you'd loose your loyalty rewards if you make a new account with the new $60/15.5GB if/when the next 2GB flash sale pops up - and port your current out and into the new account etc if your current number is important to be kept on the big data plan... (I have a dual SIM phone so, in your situation, would probably consider the above (new plan $60/17.5GB? 🤞that the 2GB bonus comes back) and reduce my "inbound phone number" to the $15 plan (= $10 with $3 loyalty and $2 auto pay. But, obviously, try @darlicious' *  approach first.)

* Edit: Sorry, I overlooked @Meow's suggestion of the same nature.

@J-L 

Unfortunately reoccurring bonus plan data is lost 99% of the time when changing plans. However you may luck out and be in that 1% as your bonus plan data was included before @Alan_K  announced on December 4th 2019 (I think that was the date?!!) that bonus data had been coded to drop off when a plan change occurs.

We have discovered that it does not seem to affect bonus data add ons. So 99% of the time when changing plans (usually downgrading) the bonus data add ons stay on the account. As far as I know @mynewhome is the only member that has kept reoccurring bonus plan data. I believe they activated with a 1gb bonus plan data promo on December 1st 2019.....so you never know?!!🤞😃

J-L

@darlicious Thanks, that's what I was thinking might have happened but I didn't want to message them multiple times unnecessarily. 😊

@J-L 

It should as that's exactly how I contact customer support....by opening their last message to me and replying. Usually with a change in the subject line to reflect the nature of my support request.

But since private messages don't save if they don't get sent its possible you thought you sent it when you didn't ( sometimes you have to hit send a second time especially if you have included a link or "an invalid html" message came up. If you then refreshed the page or returned to the community page your private message just disappears. You will have to send a new message if it's not in your sent box.

J-L

@darlicious  yes, as you mentioned the wording of the details regarding the 2G bonus was vague.  I was not really sure if I would lose the bonus if I made any changes to my plan so I have resisted doing so for fear of losing the extra 2G that I NEED. But this new change would be beneficial, if I would not be double charged by switching. It would be even better if I am able to maintain the extra 2G bonus as well. ☺️

J-L

@darlicious  do you know if there is a delay time before messages show up in the sent folder of our emails? I was trying to check on the message I sent to PM  re the plan change but it does not show up in my sent folder. ( I clicked one of the links in a previous post to send my request..... So will that not show up in my sent email??)

J-L

@darlicious  it likely was a special offer via private email or possibly text, as I recall.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@darlicious , @wetcoaster : I had wondered the same thing but then remembered that that US plan was for 8+.5 (+2US)...not the 10 of the plan the OP is on.

@J-L 

I was thinking along the same lines as @wetcoaster's thinking that you had the sought after US/Canada roaming plan. After just declaring there were no recurring 2gb bonus plan data promos before June of this year you pop in and post. Was this a text offer in the Fall of 2019 to certain customers on the short lived $60/10gb plan? The details of this plan and text offer are vague since it was a very limited offer with no posted plan/offer details.

Seeing as you just renewed a few hours ago contact customer support and ask if they would move you to the new $60/15.5gb plan (not 16gb that was just poor wording by pm) as a gesture of good will since you have stuck with pm and been a loyal customer. It cant hurt to ask and they have certainly corrected customers who have changed their plan immediately after they have renewed. They should offer to do it....just this one time.😉

Meow
Mayor / Maire

You will be charged whatever new plan cost if you change it immediately.

Best option is to schedule plan change.

It will not hurt to contact CSA and present your case so they might consider to change your plan since it is just one day difference.

J-L

@wetcoaster  no it is not the US roaming plan.. I missed out on that one unfortunately. The extra 2G is a recurring bonus that I received a couple years ago. But since my only internet access is via my cell plan or whenever I can go into town and access wifi at the library or in stores I may be shopping in, I absolutely NEED any extra data I can get. Yes, unfortunately there ARE still areas in Canada ( and not remote areas)  that do NOT have reliable internet access.

wetcoaster
Mayor / Maire

@J-L wrote:

I currently am and have been for quite awhile on the 60$ 10 G plan ( plus a recurring 2G bonus). My plan renewed YESTERDAY and this morning they have announced a plan change/ reduction ... The 70$ plan with 15G ( with 500MB bonus+500MB autopay bonus that will actually be 16G) is now 60$. It says existing customers may change to this plan immediately or on next renewal. My question is... Since my current $60 plan literally renewed yesterday, if I switch to the NEW 60$ plan effective immediately, will I be charged another 60$ and why won't PM automatically upgrade my plan which is the same cost? 

Can you post a screen shot of your overview page without any personal information?

If this is the plan with the 2GB roaming data, and you intend to head to the states more often as border crossings normalize, it might be worthwhile hanging onto it to avoid dealing the 10 day roaming add-ons.

If it's "just" in-Canada data, schedule a plan change for next renewal. Even if they decide to change the plan again before your renewal, you'd lock yourself into the plan the way it was at the time you scheduled the plan change.

Disclaimer: I'm quite happy with the plan I've had recently, so my last plan change has been quite a while. But in the days of multiple price changes fairly close together I'd just scheduled the change to a promo when it was first posted and it was honoured at renewal even if the promo was not active anymore. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@J-L wrote:

why won't PM automatically upgrade my plan which is the same cost? 

Even it is the same price, technically they are different, they have different codes in the system (and in from this $60 plan is just the old $70 plan and hence different)

Try to make a plan change for the next cycle (30 days later), you don't want to make a change immediately as it will charge you another $60

ShawnC13
Oracle
Oracle

@J-L wrote:

@J-L, yes you would be charged again.  As it is a prepaid provider, and there is no refund or prorating of portions of plans not used you would need to pay again.  

I am happy to help, but I am not a Customer Support Agent please do not include any personal info in a message to me. Click HERE to create a trouble ticket through SIMon the Chatbot *

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Usually when you make a plan change immediately then you would be charged for your new plan as well as your previous plan.  You can try contacting a CSA and explain your situation.

Here’s when and how to contact our Customer Support Agents:

• Get help with your account the easy way by starting a conversation with our virtual assistant, SIMon. It’ll take you to relevant help articles, or if it’s something more urgent, it can help you submit a ticket to our Agents. Click here to get started.
  • Alternatively, you can send a private message to our Agents by clicking here. You’ll need to be logged in to your Community account for the link to work.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@J-L 

if you want to change it on next renewal, to you not losing any money or you can contact to CSA, them will change it for you and you pay for renewed yesterday maybe them can credit for you.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@J-L wrote:

@J-L  - Make sure to Schedule a Plan Change on Next Renewal for the new plan.

If you change right away, you will be out the funds you already paid in this cycle...which is basically the whole cycle.

Just shy of a day or two there, too bad. But grab it up now to schedule it. 🙂

Need Help? Let's chat.