cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pinwheel Phones work with public mobile?

NAG4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, does anyone know if the Pinwheel phone (safe phone for kids) works with public mobile’s plans?  Thanks.  

11 REPLIES 11

HI @Chalupa_Batman 

the post will stay even I reply to another reply other than yours.  The reason the original post was sent to unmoderated box was that it has a link and the anti-spam does not like it.  Honest, I anticipated that but I decided to test the system to confirm

At this point, there is no firm date for the sunset of 3G network.  So, VoLTE is a nice to have on PM network but not a must.  Anyone who needs VoLTE could explore Koodo or Telus plans which use the same Telus network

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Chalupa_Batman 

but without VoLTE, it still works with 3G?

no need VoLTE for now.  Although initial though is that 3G will ends at the end of 2025, but it is not believe it will be extended.  So, 3G will still be good for o voice

Yes. Still works on 3G however, there are issues with this. 1. Anyone who buys a phone not on their approved list are wasting their money because they are going to have to replace their phone at the end of 2025. Also, their phone won't work in the US. So yes, VoLTE is very important if they want a 4G plan to get 4G speeds or use their phone in the US. So many variables here. 🙂

@softech wrote:

@NAG4 

your phone would work on PM.  No VoLTE but no problem using 3G for voice

According to

softech_0-1725924456627.png

See @softech even your original post was removed from this thread and YOU'RE an Oracle!! 🙂 You had to piggyback off of my thread for it to stick. 

But anyways....     At some point Public Mobile is going to have to start telling people that their phones that are running on 3G, even if they have VoLTE, but not enabled, will have to be upgraded to a new phone. Or Public Mobile is going to have to update their allowed list to allow more phones other than Google Pixel, iPhone and Samsung phones. 

HI @Chalupa_Batman 

but without VoLTE, it still works with 3G?

no need VoLTE for now.  Although initial though is that 3G will ends at the end of 2025, but it is not believe it will be extended.  So, 3G will still be good for o voice

@NAG4 

your phone would work on PM.  No VoLTE but no problem using 3G for voice

According to

softech_0-1725924456627.png

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @NAG4 

if the phone works on Telus, then voice call should work here on PM.  3G voice is decent and many are using it now, nothing wrong to have it

Hello @hTideGnow I hate to say it but that's not very accurate. This Cat S22 works flawlessly on my Telus line. And VoLTE is enabled. When I slide my PM SIM into it, no VoLTE enabled. Just sharing my experience here.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @NAG4 

if the phone works on Telus, then voice call should work here on PM.  3G voice is decent and many are using it now, nothing wrong to have it

@NAG4 wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  It would be this one:  https://www.pinwheel.com/en-ca/phones/slim-5

Truth be told, if you're trying to find a "child friendly" phone, look at this. It's basic and it works here on Public Mobile and according to @hairbag1 one our members here, this phone works great AND 4G works as well. Meaning it can be used after 3G is gone and can be used in the US if needed. FYI, it's out of stock now but should be back soon.

NAG4
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks for the reply.  It would be this one:  https://www.pinwheel.com/en-ca/phones/slim-5

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @NAG4 

What I can tell you is this. I have purchased several dumb phones over the last month or so and tried them on Public Mobile. Pretty much all of them worked on PM. However, even though they all had VoLTE, the phone would never actually be in 4G or use VoLTE as Public Mobile won't allow it. So if this phone works now, and VoLTE isn't enabled, it will only work on Public Mobile till 3G is gone from Canada. After that, you may will be required to purchase  a new phone or find a provider that will allow the phone on their network. 

SELF EDITED

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @NAG4  

maybe.  but Pinwheel has many model, which exact one? you have a link?

Add:  if it is this one, then yes, it will work as it said the phone would work on Telus, which PM uses

https://www.pinwheel.com/en-ca/?srsltid=AfmBOoqkX02PENxNE2tO3N4qnjGFHhGYb-AZv3bv9tBp6_lQgjCCS7B9

Need Help? Let's chat.