cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Picture Messaging

ICanHelp
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I just recently got an iPhone and am not able to send or receive pictures and texts on iMessage without data on. If I have the data on, does it actually use it? I have the 250 MB of data and it is not a lot if I constantly use it when messaging.

4 REPLIES 4

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

iMessage muddys the water. There is SMS which imessage can do with the setting on. There is MMS which imessage can do with the setting on. MMS requires cell data to be on. Manage your data consumption if you want to conserve your 250MB but MMS doesn't consume data itself.

iMessage messes things up with the fact that they can also communicate using instant messaging between idevices which needs the internet whether by wifi or cell data. This. Is. Not. Texting (SMS). But that doesn't work for trying to send to an Android phone or even if someone changes from an iphone to an Android without removing their iphone from their Apple ID. Then also this is a problem when roaming. Without roaming data, instant messaging can't work and MMS can't work and SMS can't work without a texting add-on.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @ICanHelp   if Imessage, yes, you need data and wil use your data

if you are sending via MMS, you still need your mobile data turned on but it won't used it

make sure you choose to send as MMS and not iMessage to save data

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@ICanHelp  iPhone needs internet for iMessage to work you can disable it and just use sms instead 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

If you use non native app for MMS then yes SMS will use your data.

If you use Native MMS app then Data has to be ON but app will not use it.

Same goes for SMS - if 3rd party then data or WiFi has to be on. If using native app (which uses celullar network) then it will work while you are on line (on celullar network).

Need Help? Let's chat.