cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone not working in Alaska, US

Cooled123456789
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I have been trouble trying to connect to the at&t network available where I am. My friends phone have connected but mine hasn't. It didn't connect automatically and when I tried to manually click on at&t it still failed to connect. Not sure what to try next. I already bought the US unlimited minutes and messages plan. If anyone has anything that could help me out please let me know. 

Thanks for reading

26 REPLIES 26

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

And just to confuse matters a customer reports this.....

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Can-t-make-calls-from-US-with-roaming-add...

But maybe like @popping  read I also read something about HD voice on the 2G network working with LTE but I couldn't find any more info on it to explain how or if it works?

@Timer wrote:

@computergeek541 

so you mean just for 4/5G LTE will not working for voice roaming,

and for not roaming how is will be working if that live has just 4/5G LTE, in here or in US.

When there's only 4g and 5g, voice roaming will not work at all. VoLTE for Public Mobile cusotmers doesn't work anywhere.

@computergeek541 

so you mean just for 4/5G LTE will not working for voice roaming,

and for not roaming how is will be working if that live has just 4/5G LTE, in here or in US.

@Timer wrote:

@darlicious 

ok but i can't know about the voice why just will be working on 3G.

alo if in here the 4/5G how is will be the voice is will be works.

and the roaming voice will be different ,, or it's will be works on which one if not have for 3G just 4/5G and i think i read some other info i'm not sure is right they is have new think on 2025 on 6G.

As stated earlier in the thread, on 4g LTE and 5g networks, voice roaming doesn't work. Public Mobile customers using the service in the U.S. can only make and receive phone calls on the T-Mobile 2g network.

@darlicious 

ok but i can't know about the voice why just will be working on 3G.

alo if in here the 4/5G how is will be the voice is will be works.

and the roaming voice will be different ,, or it's will be works on which one if not have for 3G just 4/5G and i think i read some other info i'm not sure is right they is have new think on 2025 on 6G.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Timer 

Its wait and see for when telus decides to enable VoLTE for pm customers. But the more they build out their 5G network and eliminate capacity of the 3G network to do so they will be forced to  enable it. It's one thing to not offer a certain service but eliminating access to voice services the primary service they provide is an altogether different matter.

@darlicious 

thanks a lot,

but why PM not bring the 4G roaming yet and at US is a lot place has 4/5G

but the voice will be working on 3G , or is can be 4/5G,

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Timer 

US Roaming supports the same networks that pm supports. That used to be 4G LTE/3G/2G. With decommissioning of the 3G networks in the US that's now 4G LTE/2G. AT&T decommissioned their 2G network years ago so on  AT&T pm customers can only connect to the 4G LTE network. T-Mobile kept their 2G network as a back up which now that they have decommissioned their 3G network users will default to 2G (mainly for voice services) when needed. So on T-Mobile pm customers can use both the 4G LTE and 2G networks. But in Alaska T-Mobile has no network so their customers roam on one of the Alaskan mobile providers. That roaming agreement does not apply to pm customers with a separate roaming agreement with T-Mobile and pm.

Cooled123456789

Thanks everyone for all the quick replies.

Ill get back to everyone tomorrow if I'm able to make it work by switching my sim card to my friends phones. I do still find it odd that all of my friends phone were still able to connect to at&t network but not mine even though it does support 2100MHz. I also noticed they weren't able to make calls but could send text messages and use data, there are with Freedom Mobile by the way.

Thanks again

@Timer wrote:

yeah i know, i just as mention by @darlicious  to OP sure device support frequency band,

but there AT&T Mobility has 4G service but i'm not sure if the US roaming support 4G ,,, and the 4G is LTE,

maybe be working not sure, how to found it.

Roaming works but no voice.

yeah i know, i just as mention by @darlicious  to OP sure device support frequency band,

but there AT&T Mobility has 4G service but i'm not sure if the US roaming support 4G ,,, and the 4G is LTE,

maybe be working not sure, how to found it.

@Timer wrote:

@Cooled123456789 

check this out 

2G / 3G / 4G / 5G coverage in Juneau

and choose  AT&T Mobility there two AT&T.

That means no voice service if there's no T-Mobile.  AT&T has no 2g or 3g and there is no voice for 4g or 5g to Public Mobile users.

@Cooled123456789 

Check if your device has frequency band as mention by @darlicious 

https://willmyphonework.net

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cooled123456789 

Yep that's limited coverage alright. Those are likely micro cells at 2100MHz so the signal does not travel very far. Does your phone have that frequency band?

@Cooled123456789 wrote:

I'm in a place called Juneau, Alaska.

@Cooled123456789   There has been multiple reports that US roaming is not working in Alaska

And yes, Juneau was confirmed by another members that US roaming does not work

Basically T-Mobile does not have coverage there and people cannot connect to AT&T either (possibly due to the 3G shutdown there)

You likely have to open ticket with PM Support and ask for a reverse of the transaction and put the money back on your account

1. If you have access to My account: At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you don't have access to My Account or have trouble with Chatbot: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply you there

@Cooled123456789 

check this out 

2G / 3G / 4G / 5G coverage in Juneau

and choose  AT&T Mobility there two AT&T.

Cooled123456789

I'm in a place called Juneau, Alaska.

@Cooled123456789 

can you tried your SIM card in device friend.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cooled123456789 

SMS text works on every network so you should be able to connect to send text otherwise data may not work either. Where are you exactly?

Cooled123456789

I just read most of your post. It was interesting to see how public mobile worked. I never thought that my phone would use 3g services for calling. 

Last question. My phone still says Emergency calls only. I'm not able to send messages either and my phone is showing a new notification now saying SIM is not configured for calls or something. Not sure what's going on but I was wondering if I buy the Data roaming plan would that atleast work?

@Cooled123456789 

tried turn off device take out SIM card and insert back and turn on.
manually select network 3G only or WCDMA only, and rebooting.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cooled123456789 

Read my linked post to understand how US Roaming works and check for coverage. Alaska is not like the lower 48. There is limited coverage.  Otherwise make sure roaming is enabled. Reboot. Manually select at&t and see if you can connect.

Edit:

Here's all of the 4G LTE coverage for Alaska except a tiny blip on the northern edge of the Arctic ocean for the city of...?

Screenshot_20220805-221533~2.pngScreenshot_20220805-221505~2.png

@Cooled123456789 

contact to support team by private message CS_Agent  to remove those add-ons,

Cooled123456789

I bought the bundle for talk and text from the webpage. Even downloaded the receipt

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Cooled123456789 

At&t has limited coverage in Alaska and T-Mobile has none. There is also no 3G network for the talk portion of your roaming add on. The best you can hope for is SMS texting to work. You can contact customer support for a credit of the talk portion of your add on. I will add a link so you can check for 4G LTE coverage in your area.

Edit:

Click on the map link and set it for 4G LTE coverage and zoom in on Alaska.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/US-Roaming-Add-ons-Decommissioning-of-US-...

Timer
Mayor / Maire

@Cooled123456789 

do you buy it  Add-ons for US Roaming.

Need Help? Let's chat.