cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not receiving text messages from certain people

aj-r
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife and I recently switched to Public Mobile. My account has been fine, but she has been unable to receive texts from most people. She can send texts and make calls no problem. It seems like she can only receive texts from other people with Public Mobile, but not from people with other carriers. Does anyone know how to solve this?

7 REPLIES 7

@kjweather wrote:

Just happened to me! I switched over from freedom mobile at 5:30 pm, it took them until 1:30 pm the next day to cancel my account.  Now I have no issues.  In the interim, you might be able to place both your Sim cards in your phone?? That's what I did and it allowed me to text out and receive.

During the porting process, not only is important to keep the old SIM card in your phone to be able to reply to the text messagoing for porting authorization, that SIM should usually stay in the same phone as when the port request was made, or in the case of a dual SIM card device, in the same SIM card slot that it was in earlier.  This is because some customers use the IMEI for the purposes of number porting.  If someone moves the SIM card and inserts it into a different phone device, the porting could fail due to incorrect IMEI.

kjweather

Just happened to me! I switched over from freedom mobile at 5:30 pm, it took them until 1:30 pm the next day to cancel my account.  Now I have no issues.  In the interim, you might be able to place both your Sim cards in your phone?? That's what I did and it allowed me to text out and receive.

aj-r

Thanks everyone! We will contact the moderators tomorrow.

@aj-r wrote:

My wife and I recently switched to Public Mobile. My account has been fine, but she has been unable to receive texts from most people. She can send texts and make calls no problem. It seems like she can only receive texts from other people with Public Mobile, but not from people with other carriers. Does anyone know how to solve this?

This is defiinitely an issue for the moderators to handle. Contact them by clicking here:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

There aren't any phone settings, such as accidently blocking some of your contacts that would prevent you from receiving text messages, but only from some people, especially only ones from specific carriers.

How  long has your wife's account been active?  And did she transfer a phone number in from a different carrier?

When text messages go from one carrier to the next, there is a third-party intermidary company involved who routes the messages.  If there is any issue there, message might not get sent/delivered properly.  When the messages come from other Public/Koodo/Telus users, that intercarrier process is bypassed.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@aj-r wrote:

@aj-r

Your wife should private message moderator_team

Anonymous
Not applicable

@aj-r  - Does your wife's calling work OK (in and out)?  If calling also has problems with inbound calls, there might be a number port issue - how long ago did you activate?

Easiest possible fix would be to go into her self serve portal, report the phone lost.  Log out.  Wait a few minutes.  Reboot phone.  Log back into self serve portal & report the phone found.  This will re-provision your wifes phone, and might clear everything up.  If that doesn;t work, you would likely need to contact the moderator team via private messsage.  If that's needed...

Click here to send the moderator team a private message. Their hours are: Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM(EST) & Sat/Sun 9AM-7:30PM(EST)
You can find information regarding the moderator team by following this link.

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@aj-r wrote:

Did she port her number from other provider to PM?

If yes, how long ago?  If it is over a day from other mobile provider, your port was not completed yet.  Send a private message to moderator for help.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.