cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone has no service - emergency calls only

Orz
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Hi everyone,

Just discovered my mom's phone has no service she's in Scarborough east. It is the same phone we've been using and it was working fine yesterday afaik. I checked her account is all paid up in good standing.

Anyone has the same problem today? Thanks.

13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Orz : Can you check for which kind of network it's connecting to and which carrier it can find. Set it to LTE/WCDMA/UMTS/HSPA or 4G/3G. Then see if you scan for and find and connect to Public Mobile.

Another way to do the check is to put another SIM into this phone.  If you got the same issue using another SIM, it's certain that the phone is the source of the issue.  Time to shop for a new phone  🙂

Orz

We are using the same phone for more than a year and have only uses with a PM sim card. It just suddenly lost service today I don't think we did anything causing it to be blacklisted. 

Edit: I just checked it is not blacklisted.

@mimmo 

Reseating the sim card especially if you remove it for a good 10 minutes along with generally making sure there is nothing affecting the contact between the phone and it will "reprovision" the sim card. Whether you are getting an error message "sim not provisioned" or experiencing calling issues with incoming/outgoing, straight to voicemail or text sending/recieving or data access while some or all other services are working its an issue with the phone connecting to the network thru the sim card.

If reseating does not work suspending the phone via lost/stolen will also "reprovision" the sim by removing that form of the sim card being the vehicle to communicate with the network. It also works with the add $1 payment trick to reactivate accounts as a form of getting the sim card and the network provider to communicate with one another.

Lastly having a moderator reprovision the sim card and/or reset the account is cutting the connection of the sim card to the account thus the provider will create a new connection. When service issues continue to persist or fail that is when sim card replacement is necessary as the sim card has lost the ability to be the conduit betwen the phone and the network provider.

A new sim has to be provisioned to the account and the provider network. A card that fails to activate and deliver services while an account has been created has to be provisioned by a moderator to work. Occasionally the sim card is a dud due to inferior workmanship or materials which can also cause a failure down the road.

This is why credits are issued for sim card replacements as there is a percentage of sim cards that fall within the failure rate of production. Similar to the pill being 99% effective.....one out of every hundred women on it every month will be welcoming a little bundle of joy ( if they so choose) 9 months later. The average industry sim card failure rate is much higher at about 10% of production.

did you try the device check site as advised by @darlicious  ?  let see if the phone is blacklisted. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

which kind of your device,
you can try to do factory reset maybe is will fix it your issue,

Orz

I tried putting the SIM card on another phone everything works. Putting it back on the original phone the problem comes back. So busted phone it is.

Thank you everyone for your help.

@mimmo 

It happened to me once. Personal eperience.

I didn't receiving any incoming calls.  Outgoing and data were all fine.  I didn't notice that until my family whatsapp me  and told me they were not  able to reach me for days. 

I rebooted the phone multiple times and same.  I can make outgoing but not incoming. 

Finally I reseat the SIM and it works right a way.  So, it was thinking maybe a physical contact on the SIM /SIM tray

From that time, I always advise people to reseat the SIM just to confirm.  It might be overdo,  but it won't hurt to do a little bit more.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

What does pulling the sim card out of the phone actually do? What's the difference of turning phone off for say 1-2 minutes or just power cycling phone?

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Orz 

Is your mom's phone bought new or second hand? Could it be blacklisted?

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

I checked Telus outage page and don't think there is any problem with Mobile. 

Try to power down the phone,  pull your SIM out for a minute and put it back and see

Also, best to test the SIM on another phone if possible.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Orz wrote:

Hi everyone,

Just discovered my mom's phone has no service she's in Scarborough east. It is the same phone we've been using and it was working fine yesterday afaik. I checked her account is all paid up in good standing.

Anyone has the same problem today? Thanks.

If rebooting or reinstalling the SIM card does not work, try the sim in another unlocked phone to determine if it is a phone problem or account/sim problem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

do one thing Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

and do rebooting your phone take your SIM card out and waiting for a 2 minute and put it back and turn on -This one is quick and simple.

what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

can you go to your Self Serve to view your account.

1. Log in to Self-Serve
  2. Click on 'View Payment History' in the grey bar
  3. check your Account Status: is a Active or what do you see !!
Need Help? Let's chat.