cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone call problems

epwand
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi, people can not hear what we are saying on our phone when they call us or when we  call out at times.  Its been bad lately, maybe a couple of weeks.  I used fongo to call on my phone and its fine.  I reset the network on my phone and turned it off and took out the sim card, I made sure everything is updated.  Can someone help me?  thanks Emily 

22 REPLIES 22

@PMisBornToBeBad- I would just as soon quit Apple for their unrepairable notorious problems.

PMisBornToBeBad
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Edit: issue was with the antenna (integrated with mainboard) not the mic. The mic is a simpler repair. Quit this provider before u need their assistance.

My mom's iPhone 7 is notorious for makeup buildup on the mic. It can be cleaned quite easily, which often can solve the problem. 

PMisBornToBeBad

Same problem with both preowned iphone8 that i got from PM and my searches point to a known/common issue with these phones. After PM told me to take it to local telus stores (and they all refused to help a PM client), they had me take it to Mobile Repair clinic which concluded that people couldnt hear my distorted voice during calls due to a mic problem. Mic is part of the mainboard and therefore not repairable so eventually after months of begging and threatening to complain to the CCTS (look it up), they agreed to exchange for another iphone8… which had the same issue.  Customer service was so impossible that i must warn anyone reading this to never buy a phone from PM. They dont always honor the warranty and take forever to respond and usually dont understand your questions. If u need customer service it is so difficult and slow that i must also advise you to go to a different provider like Lucky or Freedom etc.  For a few bucks extra you will be able to email for help or live chat.  PM will leave u for 

@epwand wrote:

This worked putting it on 3G.  I tried it back on auto and it defaults to 5g and had the same problem again.  I switched back to 3g.  Is this a Telus issue or my phone?  Thanks for helping.

@epwand , it is not your phone.  It is a VoLTE implementation problem.  This brand incorporated VoLTE about 3 months ago and it looks like there remains rough edges here and there.  Try going back to auto 5G network from time to time and see if the issue is resolved for you.  

Do you have a 4G or LTE setting? Or is it just 5G and 3G?

HI @epwand  what phone do you have?

how new? after you change it back to 5G, when you make calls, what network it shows it is using ? 3G or LTE?

If LTE, there is a problem with VoLTE.  

epwand

This worked putting it on 3G.  I tried it back on auto and it defaults to 5g and had the same problem again.  I switched back to 3g.  Is this a Telus issue or my phone?  Thanks for helping.

epwand

I have the $25 plan.  I will give that a try.  I am in Courtenay BC.

@epwand   Just for the test, then change the Data and Voice to 3G for couple days and see if voice is better (if you are on 4G or 5G plans, your data will drop down to 3G speed, like around 15Mbps, but change to that settings to test for voice first)

... and which city you are at? big city like TO or Van?

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@epwand , I believe it is a VoLTE implementation issue that comes and goes.  If the problem occurs, reboot the phone to see if that helps.  Then try switching to 3G which should address the issue if it is due to VoLTE implementation.  

epwand

I never had problems until recently.  Mine is also set on 5g auto.

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@epwand , I almost hate to say anything for fear of jinxing myself 🤣 but I had all kinds of issues until 5G was introduced! I keep my iPhone on 5G Auto now (suggested by a Telus tier 2 Tech) & I have full signals now, no dropped calls, sounds clear!

Edit to update: @epwand , I noticed today when I was out that nope my signal still sucks (drops to 1 bar) here all through town except in my apartment! In my apartment I have full 5G signal/bar, set on 5G Auto, LTE is very bad, drops to 1 bar!. Only 3G works better in town & I have VoLTE activated on my account! No, amount of troubleshooting fixes this!

@epwand   5G should not be the problem.  In fact, it is opposite, better with 5G than not.

Selecting 5G could be a problem when PM had not introduced 5G.  Once PM network has 5G, it causes less a conflict with the devices

But if you suspect that is causing the voice problem, manually change the Preferred network type or network mode ot 3G Only (WCDMA) and see if it helps

epwand

I have noticed 5G on my phone lately.  I suspect a major update and it causes problems.  I see people are complaining about telus other services as well.  

epwand

I can call out on Fongo with no problems.  I already check the microphone.  

@Ckk   if you calls not going through, try couple things

1. Try to click Reset All Networks and see if it works

2. Try to change the Preferred network or network mode to 3G Only (WCDMA)

3. If you have a newer phone, or a iPhone 8 and above, you can enable VoLTE on your phone and test the voice quality with VoLTE

4. Try your phone in another area

5. try putting your PM sim card in another phone

6. Try putting another active sim in your phone 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Ckk @epwand 

Check 

Outage   map in your area:

https://istheservicedowncanada.com/

Ckk

I have the exact same problem right now I don’t know why calls arn’t going through. 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@epwand  Can you try the SIM card in another phone ? Does it work , reason for this would be to order out device or account issue 

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@epwand What brand and model of your phone?

If you have a newer phone, or a iPhone 8 and above, you can enable VoLTE on your phone and test the voice quality with VoLTE

And did you test your phone from another area ?  it could also be a local network issue

And also, try to test your PM sim card in another phone and see if you see any difference

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

Have you tried the SIM in a different phone? Or tried a different SIM in your phone? It's possible the microphone is clogged up with sweat, makeup, food etc. 

Need Help? Let's chat.