cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phone SOS mode and blacklisted

dmoran73
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Have my iphone xr on SOS mode. No one can help with the issue. Went to TELUS store as suggested by PM for a repair. Telus told me they have not heard of PM and cannot do the repair. Once I showed the email, they looked into the system and that is where I found out my phone is blacklisted. I checked the National Data Base and have a screen shot which says my phone is not on the list. TELUS will not fix the phone. 

My warranty expires in 6 days ( of course) and I would like a resolution before then. Telus will not fix the phone even though I have proof I have paid for it, and it is not on the list. 

Phone service was suspended for once month... reported lost/stolen, but I have been told that it doesn't matter and it shouldn't be on the "list".

Any help of advice would be great!

38 REPLIES 38

dmoran73

I think I will be. Customer service has really gone down the crapper these days. 

Go Jays Go!!

dmoran73

Sadly it is not. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

The phone has been blacklisted. So telus will not repair it. So the CPO department has told the OP to send the phone back to them and they will decide if they will replace it.

Not exactly satisfactory customer service or what you want to hear after finding out you've been sold a blacklisted phone from your provider.

But I imagine the CPO department is scrambling because they don't have a policy set for this kind of unusual circumstance.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dmoran73 

It seems to me they aren't following their own policy because Telus is refusing to touch it. But putting that aside for now just get it in that shipping envelope and send it back. Public Mobile is usually very accommodating so just get the ball rolling and then deal with all the crap afterwards in credits.

Once you get a satisfactory replacement or even if it's not that satisfactory just make sure you don't 100% agree to their terms. Unless you feel you have been put under duress to accept their terms in order to continue to receive your service. If that's the case take what you can get and then file a c c t s complaint. Their mandate is to put the customer back in their previous position before the issue came up. Then you can let them do the negotiating..... Just document every step you have gone through so far and will go through to get this problem resolved or rather they think it's resolved.

Whoop whoop! 3 - 0 Jays!🐦🇨🇦

@darlicious wrote:

@computergeek541 

No. It is just before the one year warranty is up.

That was also my original impression, and I see the follow up that the phone has been used for about 11 months, but where is this phone going to be sent back to by Canada Post?  I'm aware that Mobilie Klinik does do mail-in repairs, but this mention of a Canada Post shipping label sounds to be the return policy procedure which no longer applies.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

No. It is just before the one year warranty is up.

@dmoran73 wrote:

So... the saga continues. It has now been one week and still no phone. PM is absolutely useless. I am supposed to send the phone back to them via Canada Post and they will decide whether or not to give me a new one. In the meantime, no loaner phone.  Telus store they suggested will not repair the phone. The phone is now working some days and other days it goes back into SOS mode. 

I have tried escalating the issue, but all I get it that is their policy. Not impressed at all.

Have you had this phone for less than 30 days? If that's the case, I would just be asking for a refund at this point.  

dmoran73

So... the saga continues. It has now been one week and still no phone. PM is absolutely useless. I am supposed to send the phone back to them via Canada Post and they will decide whether or not to give me a new one. In the meantime, no loaner phone.  Telus store they suggested will not repair the phone. The phone is now working some days and other days it goes back into SOS mode. 

I have tried escalating the issue, but all I get it that is their policy. Not impressed at all.

dmoran73

This makes me definitley rethink purchasing a phone from PM or any used phone. Hoping it is just an error and this can be resolved quickly. Cheers!

@darlicious wrote:

@dmoran73 

Yes this can happen. Sometimes as long as 3 years after a customer has bought a phone but usually from a second hand marketplace. It is not all that common for it to occur when bought from a provider. Went so long has passed since a purchase has been made it's usually because an insurance claim has been made or a customer who has broken their contract and absconded with the phone. Since a provider has to go through all the motions of collection and once that is completely exhausted they will blacklist a phone. It is possible that your phone was blacklisted in error when inputting the IMEI# and a mistake has been made when entering the number.

The national device blacklist was never intended to be for payment issues betwen the customer and the carrier. Rogers has been on record as saying that they will not block an IMEI for issues of account payment, while I have read about a few instances of Bell taking this type of action and eventually agreeing to replace a person's device over this type of issue.

In this case, the device is specifically covred by Telus CPO 1 year warranty. Telus must get the device working again or they must replace it as it no longer works.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dmoran73 

Yes this can happen. Sometimes as long as 3 years after a customer has bought a phone but usually from a second hand marketplace. It is not all that common for it to occur when bought from a provider. Went so long has passed since a purchase has been made it's usually because an insurance claim has been made or a customer who has broken their contract and absconded with the phone. Since a provider has to go through all the motions of collection and once that is completely exhausted they will blacklist a phone. It is possible that your phone was blacklisted in error when inputting the IMEI# and a mistake has been made when entering the number.

dmoran73

Thanks for this information. It makes sense. And yes, I will be pursuing credit.

What I don't understand is that after 11 months of having this phone, it suddenly becomes blacklisted. Have you heard of this happening before?

On another note, the phone came out of SOS mode for a few hours and now it is back to SOS mode. Makes no sense to me at all.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dmoran73 

The day your phone went to SOS mode is the day it got blacklisted. There's probably no repair needed because the only thing wrong with your phone is it's blacklisted. So the issue is public mobile sold you a phone that was blacklisted by Telus or koodo for whatever reason. That has nothing to do with you.

So you need to go back and respond to the CPO departments private message to you telling you to take it to a Telus store for repair. Demand that public mobile either quickly investigates and gets your phone removed from the blacklist or send you a return shipping envelope to send the phone back to public mobile. They then need to either offer you an equivalent or better phone as a replacement or a full refund.

Once you have made those arrangements open a new support ticket with the reference number from your CPO department ticket and request a credit equivalent to the time you've been without service due to public mobile selling you a phone that was blacklisted. If the first line customer service agent cannot do this have them escalate your support ticket to the escalations department. I personally would ask for a double credit of the time of your service lost due to this problem. So if you've been without a service for a month or less I would ask for a two-month credit.

Of course what you feel is at appropriate credit for your lost service time and the hassle of dealing with a phone that they sold you that was blacklisted to resolve your issue is up to you.

dmoran73

The phone appeared one morning on SOS mode. I cannot get it off SOS mode, therefore, I cannot make calls, send texts etc... Wrote to PM and they told us to go to a Telus store for repair. That is where I found out the phone is blacklisted and they will not repair it. 

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@dmoran73 

All warranty repairs that fall within the one year warranty time period are done by Telus. You would need to bring it to a Telus corporate store who will assess the phone and determine if it can be repaired or replaced. If it is center for repair service you will be offered a loaner phone if one is available.

But is this actually a warranty issue? Does the problem stem from it being blacklisted? Or did you previously have issues with the phone? If the sole issue is the blacklisting of the device then ask customer support to check the Blacklist for the source of the blacklisting of your device. Public Mobile can then make the necessary inquiries to have your device removed from the blacklist. If that is not possible then they should either refund your money or send you an equivalent replacement phone. You should also ask for a credit equal to the amount of days your phone has been blacklisted and you have been unable to use it.

@dmoran73 

just return the phone to PM and don't buy their CPO phones.. they're not good. I'm pretty sure they are selling broken devices customers returned from Telus or koodo

dmoran73

Actually, they suggested I try where I purchased it from first. But did say.... I could trade it in right away. LOL

Kristowhy
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@dmoran73 wrote:

Yes, I purchased it from here. I checked and it says it is not blacklisted. I only have PM sim cards in my household. Apple store told me that the sim isn't the issue, it is probably a motherboard issue and the phone should be replaced

Sounds like Apple wants you to buy a new device from them.. 😉

dmoran73

I am only a few minutes away from the mall! I have sent a message and luckily enough PM responded quickly. They are looking into it. I don't expect to hear back from them today. Once they respond, I will ask which place for repair to go to. Thanks for the advice. 

Hi @dmoran73 are you at the mall? how cam you go that quick?

ok. don't go back yet.  MobileKlinic will only fix it  with an open repair ticket.  Please message back CS Agent and get them go ahead first.  Ask CS Agent to suggest which exact place to go

dmoran73

Nothing blacklisted that I can see. Just got back from MobileKlinik and they said they cannot repair the phone either. 

Check any boxes and paperwork for IMEI's, serial numbers whatever and then look in About phone for same. I guess providers could have their own internal blacklists but you seem to be saying you checked devicecheck.ca and found nothing. Or as I suggested, try another sim in the phone and see if it works.

Hi @dmoran73 

message PM support again, tell them your experience.   Ask them to give you and exact store and address where you should bring your phone to for repair 

dmoran73

No it was not MobileKIinik per se. But I will look into that. Yes I have all that information. Luckily I have kept it all on file. 

Hopefully, I won't have to get the cops involved.. but that would be something to consider! 🙂

Did you say you had also taken it to MobileKlinik. That belongs to Telus. It's supposedly the place to take phones in-warranty but past the return time. With your proof of purchase with presumably matching numbers, the idea of stolen shouldn't matter. If THEY sold a hot phone then again that's on them. Heck, call the cops on them for fencing stolen goods. 🙂

dmoran73

ok. Thanks... Purchased and paid for it myself.. no chargebacks. Good to know. Now getting them to reply!!

dmoran73

I did take it to something similar and was told they will not touch it as it comes up stolen.

Then yes this is all on them. If they sold you a phone that has ended up being blocked by them for some unknown reason (you paid for it right?..no chargebacks?) then that's their problem to fix as mentioned earlier.

dmoran73

Telus is the one who told me they will not fix the phone. They cannot send it to be fixed because it is blacklisted. I did not know this information until today. 

Waiting to hear back from PM ......

dmoran73

Yes, I purchased it from here. I checked and it says it is not blacklisted. I only have PM sim cards in my household. Apple store told me that the sim isn't the issue, it is probably a motherboard issue and the phone should be replaced. 

Need Help? Let's chat.