cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Outside of Canada

Ladda
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Good day I would like to know how do I go about using public mobile services in the states (NY). How can I activate this service. Also I have 499 international minutes available to me but I don't know how to get access to it. Can someone please help me. 

P.S I don't come here often, baby steps please 

10 REPLIES 10

Lucky doesn't have roaming anywhere in the world.. Their subscribers not lucky, they can't even roam in USA

@Ladda , If you just need to call back Canada, consider using app like Fongo or TextNow.  They are both free and easy to setup.  You can use it as long as you have Wifi

If you are there long and need Data as well, check to get local Prepaid SIM.  It's definitely cheaper than using roaming

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ladda 

you can try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute,

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

and do again Rebooting your phone,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

and you can try to reset network settings on an IPhone

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.

This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords,

or visit  Here link, 

and go Changing APN Settings On An IPhone

click Here link, 

How to reset network settings on an Android device
  1. Open the Settings app on your Android.
  2. Scroll to and tap either "General management" or "System," depending on what device you have.
  3. Tap either "Reset" or "Reset options."
  4. Tap the words "Reset network settings."

or visit  Here link,

and go Changing APN Settings On Android device

click Here link,

and can you try manually selecting network,

*To get the obvious out of the way...you used ( +1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,

for Example long distance, Add (+1 or 1 ) in front of the any area code,
1416xxxxxxx,
or
+1416xxxxxxx,
both is will going through your call...

Good luck and enjoy the service

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Ladda 

Here is more or less everything you need to know about US roaming add one...

Spoiler

Here is some info about US roaming add ons that should help you.....

1. While you have to have an active plan to purchase and use US roaming add ons the type of plan you have does not affect the roaming add ons features.
  2. US roaming add ons start the moment you confirm and submit your purchase in your self serve account and expire 240 hours later (10 days×24 hours).
  3. You can pre-load the funds needed to purchase the add ons in your self serve account so you only have to log in, select the US roaming add on and then confirm and submit your purchase.
  4. Wait til late as possible to purchase since they are immediately valid so on free wifi at the destination airport or stopping shortly before the border at mcd's or timmy's to buy the add on while on free wifi.
  5. If you are staying longer than 10 days you must wait a minimum of 24 hours to purchase the same US roaming add on or contact the moderators to add it before the waiting period ends.
  6. If you have two US roaming add ons with a talk feature that overlap the talk feature basically gets disabled. Avoid this....but you will have to get one removed by a moderator to get your calling feature back if this happens.
  7. After purchase reboot your phone and manually select either at&t or T-mobile to get better reception. Some areas have better coverage by either provider so when travelling around the US you will be better served by choosing the provider with better signal strength by locale.
  8. You will recieve incoming texts without any US roaming add ons. Adding the fongo app and textnow app for use on wifi are good to use for a back up plan or you could call forward your pm phone # to your fongo # before you leave Canada and purchase just the US data roaming add on. Fongo also works on mobile data (1 min=0.5mb/100 min=50mb) so you could still recieve incoming pm texts, recieve incoming pm calls to your fongo #/app, outgoing calls from your fongo number and outgoing  texts from textnow for free or small fee from fongo.
  9. All US roaming add ons have either unlimted text, talk or both. Only data has limits depending on your purchase 250mb/500mb/1gb. Once the data is consumed it will just stop you could then purchase different roaming add on, wait 24 hr to buy or contact the moderator to buy the same US roaming add on again. (* except talk as previously mentioned.)

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow : I meant the $20 bundle when I said bundle.

@Anonymous wrote:

So a bit of a difference from $2 a day for the bundle here. No pay as you go though of course.

Thank you for bringing these prices to my attention. Considering your list, then PM's $8/10 days (talk ot SMS) is very good deal for unlimited talk/text. $0.80/day or calls and SMS for $1.5/day.

I do not get this $2/day??

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Meow wrote:

Using PM from USA will not be very cost effective. As you can see per above post USA add-ons are for limited time only and costly. But depending on your needs they might work...

You are better to get some temporary USA SIM with unlimited calls/SMS to Canada.

Your PM international minutes add-on work from Canada only.

@Meow :

I don't know about expensive. Short duration yes but not all that expensive.
Chatr has pay as you go so that could add up fast.
Lucky doesn't mention roaming.
Koodo is $9 a day and offers pay as you go.
Virgin is $10 a day and offers pay as you go.
Fido is $15 a day and offers pay as you go.
And the above cap at a certain total.

So a bit of a difference from $2 a day for the bundle here. No pay as you go though of course.

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Using PM from USA will not be very cost effective. As you can see per above post USA add-ons are for limited time only and costly. But depending on your needs they might work...

You are better to get some temporary USA SIM with unlimited calls/SMS to Canada.

Your PM international minutes add-on work from Canada only.

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

To use your phone in the USA you need to buy a USA add-on 

The add-on is valid for 10 days then needs to be repurchased .

US Roaming6
10 day packages

U.S. Talk, Text and 250 MB Data bundle: $20
U.S. Talk and Text Bundle: $15
U.S. Talk Only: $8
U.S. Text Only: $8

U.S. Data Only
10 day packages

250 MB: $10
500 MB: $15
1 GB: $20

@Ladda wrote:

Good day I would like to know how do I go about using public mobile services in the states (NY). How can I activate this service. Also I have 499 international minutes available to me but I don't know how to get access to it. Can someone please help me. 

The long distance minutes won't help you. Those will only work while you are in Canada.

Your need to log into your Self Serve account at https://selfserve.publicmobile.ca and purchase a roaming add-on.  After logging in, Click on "Purchase Add-ons".  Ensure you choose one of the options that start with the name of "US Roaming" as none of the others will help you to use your service in the U.S.  

You should know tha during this process, you'll want to check above the add-on selection box where it says "available funds".  If you go through these steps to choose an add-on but don't have enough in your available funds to pay for the add-on, this process will only top up your account, and you'll need to go back a second time to actually purchase the roaming add-on pacakge.

Need Help? Let's chat.