cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Out of country for six months

AngryNewclient
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I will be out of the country for six months, so the 90 day window of not using auto pay will not do. Should I just cancel my phone? Six months of payment for nothing is not sitting well with me.

9 REPLIES 9

AngryNewclient

Thank you, softech. I will do just that.

@AngryNewclient just for safety,  I would reactivate on the 85th day.  And remember, once payment is made successfully,  logoff for 5 mins then log back in using Incognito mode and make sure Account is changed to Active and the cycle date is correct. This is to make sure the reactivation is done correctly 

AngryNewclient

Thank you all for your input. I have had many discussions with the Agents and have decided to pay 15 dollars for December and then pay again in 88 days. After the next 88 days I should be back in Canada and good to go.

@AngryNewclient wrote:

I am thinking that stopping auto pay is like not paying your bills. Will this affect credit ratings? Do I need to switch it to the 15 dollar plan before the next payment is due in December? Will I get emails from Public looking for money when the December payment date arrives. Sometimes I am not sure that PM is worth the hassle. Thank you for your response.

There is no 'credit rating' at PM.

If your account is suspended but NOT deleted, your loyalty reward, period will extend (be delayed if suspension is longer than 2 months). All other rewards like referrals and any add-ons you have will be waiting for you.

PM will not notify you by email when your payment is due. PM sends SMS which most likely will not work outside of Canada so you have to remember when to log in an pay for the next month.

Or it will cost you $90+tax with autopay to keep number and rewards. AND you would still need to log in to your account to confirm autopay did work as expected.

Patchio
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@AngryNewclient 

Public Mobile is a pre-paid service, so it won't have an affect on your credit rating unless you leave auto-pay active and choose not to pay your credit card bill.

You can pre-schedule the plan change to occur at your next renewal in December, so it shouldn't be an issue. But if you change to the $15 plan now, you will need to pay immediately on top of what you have already paid for your current plan. 

PM may send you text message reminders to let you know that your payment is due in December, but not emails. You are not obligated to pay until you are ready and willing to pay for your service again. 

In some cases, it may not be worth the hassle to stick with PM, but if you want to retain your cell phone number and the benefits of the old loyalty Rewards program, then it might be worth the hassle. 

Meow
Mayor / Maire

It depends on type of rewards program you are now. If you are on old rewards then cancelling account and opening new one will cost you new SIM and points rewards only.

If you will have internet access out of country then cost be around $30+tax for 6 months and you keep your number and some rewards.

It will require to remove autopay, lower your plan to $15 plan and log in every ~88 day and pay manually $15 for the next month.

@AngryNewclient hi stopping autopay does not effect in any way your credit rating,you can switch before you leave if you like,just remember to sign into youraccount to make a manual payment before the deadline you may get a reminder email  

AngryNewclient

I am thinking that stopping auto pay is like not paying your bills. Will this affect credit ratings? Do I need to switch it to the 15 dollar plan before the next payment is due in December? Will I get emails from Public looking for money when the December payment date arrives. Sometimes I am not sure that PM is worth the hassle. Thank you for your response.

Outdoorsman
Mayor / Maire

@AngryNewclient hi you could let it suspend for 85 days or so make a payment on the lowest 15 dollar plan then after that cycle is done you can let it suspend for another 85 days or so,maybe you will be back by then 

Need Help? Let's chat.