cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Option to change username is missing!

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

I noticed this morning on my Community account that the ability to change username has now been removed! Has anyone else seen this or is it just mine?

I wonder if it was due to how many have been abusing it here in the Community!

13 REPLIES 13

statusquo
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

Shouldn't public employees do some oversight themselves around here rather than have customers policing this forum @hTideGnow ?  

@hTideGnow wrote:

hi @statusquo , 

i think if you think any usernames are  inappropriate, tell CS agent or Oracles

Unfortunately, a Public Mobile employee would need to make the change.

hi @statusquo , 

i think if you think any usernames are  inappropriate, tell CS agent or Oracles

statusquo

I was looking through some community names to see if anyone had added some personal details for their bio to their profiles and noticed one name that is highly improper there when I switched to 24 hours list.  Maybe I'm being overly sensitive but I think it's lewd and should be removed @hTideGnow 

Now I notice they even have their own post in the forum.

HI @statusquo May I ask which one?  offensive name?  

statusquo

OMG, after looking through a few community names under the bravo list and playing around with the dates a bit, I see a name that should have banned right from the get go but is still there so the question remains why it's not been removed.

statusquo

That's interesting @LitlLdy so it was more that I never noticed that section for the community profile.  I might have to click a few profiles to see if anyone has added anything to their bio but like I said, not sure why anyone would want to do that for a community forum.

@statusquo wrote:

You are right @LitlLdy that option is no longer available which I think is unfortunate but limiting the number of times the community name could be changed per year to maybe once or twice might have been better way to go.  I think I've only seen one person who has changed their name more than once recently but then again, I'm not here often enough to see how it might have been misused or abused by others.

I notice there's new option under community profile to add some personal details about oneself which would appear under the profile which I'm not sure why anyone would want to do.  Another option is to add personal notes or reminders that won't be visible to others, again not sure why it would be needed or if these two options were always there but I never noticed until now.

@statusquo , I’ve always had the community profile information section for as long as I can remember & never filled it in. The part I thought they added in May is IP Addresses, Device ID that I don’t remember having before May nor Downloads My community content, My personal information but I could be wrong!

statusquo

You are right @LitlLdy that option is no longer available which I think is unfortunate but limiting the number of times the community name could be changed per year to maybe once or twice might have been better way to go.  I think I've only seen one person who has changed their name more than once recently but then again, I'm not here often enough to see how it might have been misused or abused by others.

I notice there's new option under community profile to add some personal details about oneself which would appear under the profile which I'm not sure why anyone would want to do.  Another option is to add personal notes or reminders that won't be visible to others, again not sure why it would be needed or if these two options were always there but I never noticed until now.

@dust2dust wrote:

How many? I was thinking two. Is that too many? I wonder why they decided to remove that option.

Adding - and this is the problem with removing the option. We've just seen a username that could be offensive to some viewers. Wouldn't it be preferable to suggest to them to change their username? But no. So what's the worse evil? Some rare few that go about changing their usernames for some unknown reason. Or usernames that could be offensive that then need their hassle of being forced to change by support.

Unfortunately I’ve seen several that have abused changing usernames in a very negative way hoping others wouldn’t notice but when they repeat the same behaviour over & over we still figure out who they are! Including very inappropriate usernames! Reporting them seems to do no good!

I’m kind of on both sides about this! Having the option to change them is great but in some instances I’ve seen they shouldn’t be aloud to!

Some sign up upset, frustrated & create a not so nice username when fed up then once they’re happy again want a nicer username that suits them! Which is understandable.

Few can ruin things for all depending on their actions & behaviour!

However I don’t know their reasons for removing the option! 😞 Nothing was even posted!

Edit: We can still suggest to them to contact a CS_Agent to change their username to something more appropriate if they choose to want to take our advice!

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

How many? I was thinking two. Is that too many? I wonder why they decided to remove that option.

Adding - and this is the problem with removing the option. We've just seen a username that could be offensive to some viewers. Wouldn't it be preferable to suggest to them to change their username? But no. So what's the worse evil? Some rare few that go about changing their usernames for some unknown reason. Or usernames that could be offensive that then need their hassle of being forced to change by support.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@LitlLdy 

Yes, ability for users to change Community username has been removed.  You can however ask PM support to help with that if you need to change your username.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@LitlLdy  Good eye . I just checked and I have no option to change username either anymore 

Need Help? Let's chat.