cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old rewards program vs new points program

mindfulmum
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Which one is better? Seems I will loose $2 autopay if I switch. 

22 REPLIES 22

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@frankysplace 

Wowsers...thats a lot of phone plans to keep track of....and I thought I had a lot along with the ones I manage. That's certainly a smart use of the options available to you. You could contribute some of that expertise here in the community on a regular basis and maybe get another couple of $$ off your bill with a community reward.

To contact customer support :

Submit a support ticket via Simple--Simon the chat bot Click here 

Or if you prefer or cannot submit a support ticket you may send a private message : Click here 

To pre-verify add in your private messaging only your full name, address, email, phone # & 4 digit account pin #

frankysplace

Thanks for asking. Having options is the key. For now I am paying $11.29 for high speed internet home (Connected for Success). Free Home phone one US line one Canadian line for free using VoIP (Google Voice for US number & Freephoneline for Canadian number) and a ATA device. Textnow Mobile phone service in the USA which is free texting and calls only through a textnow sim that cost me $4,99 US one time fee on my iPhone 6S. Public Mobile $11.00 CAN on my iPhone 8 (FYI PM is my reliable way to call 911. However I can also use Sugar Mobile for that but that is tied to my home address). The Canadian mobile number I give out is through Sugar Mobile a VoIP app free to me for life because I was an early adopter of their service and the CTRC closed their mobile data service down they used roaming agreements with ICE WIRELESS in the north but the CRTC closed their data service down which was roaming on the Rogers network in Canada and AT&T in the US. My Sugar Mobile number is a Canadian number that can be forwarded anywhere in North America for free. One mobile Data Plan through Fonus which works in Canada and the United States $33.15US. However if I need to save money I can suspend my US data plan at anytime and just use my free mobile service though textnow in the US. Then I'd have to find free hotspots for data. For now I can  afford the Fonus Plan and it is 20GB of data at full speed then throttled after that. Search for Fonus in the community and you can find my post about that. Thanks for reading. Franky.

Yeah, quite a lot of work around to get what you want/need? And a lot of dependency on various services and providers.

How much do you really save with all this vs just service from PM?

frankysplace

I think I will stay on the old system because I am really bad at referring people. Here is how I save money. Because I am part First Nation I am taxed exempt at least here in Toronto. I buy the 20 dollar top up card and most places they take the 8 percent provincial tax off. However I have found one place that takes off both taxes for me. I think it saves me a dollar or two. Ok I have a 15 dollar plan minus 2 for auto pay and 2 for loyalty it brings my bill down to 11 dollars a month if public mobile allows me to keep the old rewords plan in three years time my phone bill will be $8 a month. Because I've been topping up for awhile I have a surplus of money that builds up. On my fifth anniversary I will just stop topping up for a while. I'll let my surplus of funds get used up. I plan on staying with PM for the long haul. Now if I find my grand fathered plan gets too high or they cut me off from my savings. I could just let the service die and keep my data only plan with Fonus and use my Sugar Mobile app which is free for life. It is my main Canadian Mobile number which I can forward anywhere in North America for free. So I forwarded to my Google voice Number which is my free New York State number. Also I use my OBiTalk ata device and voila a free home phone. Also I have a Canadian number through Freephoneline.ca. I pay $33.15 US for my Fonus data plan which covers me in Canada and the states. I even forward my PM number to my Sugar Mobile number. My Sugar Mobile number then forwards to my Google voice app on my cell phone which forwards all my calls to my mobile phone via google voice. Then I just use my Fonus Data sim and voila free calls where ever I have a data connection. It is complicated but it saves me a bundle and I do travel to the states a lot. Living in Toronto means day trips to Niagara falls New York are easy to do. Also being on a fixed income I have a really cheap home internet plan through Rogers Connected for Success. It is only $11.29. a month. My home phone is free US and Canadian Number. Having options means you can make the big phone and mobile companies work for you and not the other way around. 

Chris76

z10user4,

If you are talking about the rewards that you would get for the loyalty and referrals, they are taken off every month.  They will decrease your bill, if you have been with PM for over one year you automatically get $1 off per month which is the loyalty reward and $1 every month off your bill when you refer someone to PM. 

Hope this helps.

Chris76 

mindfulmum

Thanks for your reply. 

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

Actually if you look at the new points here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/Public-Points-Rewards

And the old rewards here:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/overview-of-old-public-rewards

You can compare. And actually you can still do well. 

Say if you had the $15 plan and under the "old rewards" you would need only 13 referrals with autopay turned on to pay your bill. And let's say you are not at a loyalty level and you are not contributing to the Community. And I "assume" you can cash in your points as long as you have the needed amount and that there is no time period constraints as there are on the Telus points program. 

If you had 15 referrals and let it build up to 30 points. Then there-after cash in 15 every month and your account is paid up as long as you have the 15 referrals still in place. And you have 15 points in your bank account at PM. Then any community or loyalty also adds to your bank account to use for your monthly payment or for add-ons or to cover for the odd lost referral. 

Although another step...it's not bad. But I plan to remain on old rewards.  But still is a good sell. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Click on Discover Points above there and it will show you the month and day (not year) when you activated. If it's just recent then yeah the second year hasn't hit your renewal yet.

mindfulmum

I think I have it. My anniversary may apply next month so they post it as my future setting. Thanks 

mindfulmum

Ah patience. Perhaps that’s it. I don’t remember when I joined. But that may be it. Thanks. I’ll watch for next month. Take good care 

Anonymous
Not applicable

The refer a friend may be problematic which makes it rather hard to trust. What does your payment history show on your last renewal?

And the loyalty..how long have you been getting the $2?

mindfulmum

38E141FD-1B39-4DC2-817D-148EBDBA8DE4.jpeg

But apparently PM doesn’t generate invoices or really even bills to itemize what I’m charged for so I can’t figure it out. Is this when you send in a ticket? I just figure there must be a simple explanation and honestly it’s not enough to get worked up about these days 😂. Getting through Covid was enough for this past month 

@mindfulmum   Did you just reach your 2 years anniversary?  If so, the $2 Loyalty  will start next payment

mindfulmum

Hi. Thanks for the willingness to help. And indeed I have this:

5F345F97-CB0D-4605-BE28-515BAC33B6F1.png

@mindfulmum   $22.60 = $20 pre-tax, so you only get $5 off

Check the My Reward website (https://www.publicmobile.ca/myrewards)  to see what they are showing you.   The login would be same as your My Account login

Maybe the referrals?  Maybe one of your referrals already gone or maybe he/she missed the payment and in suspended stage now

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's $20 plus 13% tax. Are you sure about your loyalty and referrals?

mindfulmum

I have 2 loyalty and 2 referrals and 2 on autopay. Total 25-6=19 yet when I checked credit card I was charged $22.60 which I don’t understand. But overall I don’t like change and I do like the automation so I won’t switch and thank you to everyone 😊

CountyDownIeUk
Mayor / Maire

@mindfulmum wrote:

Which one is better? Seems I will loose $2 autopay if I switch. 

You will lose an easy $1-$5 for loyalty too. 

@mindfulmum 

Yes, with the new system, the $2 Autopay discount will be gone.  And in fact , you will lost your Loyalty rewards as well on the new system.

in summary  

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more Loyalty reward, so no more $1/month up to $5/month.  Instead, they only give $10 every year on the anniversary. 
    So, for someone with PM between 13th to 24th months:
               old reward program will get $12 on that year compare with $10 on the new system 
    So, for someone with PM between 25th to 36th months:
               old reward program will get $24 on that year compare with $10 on the new system 
    for someone with  PM between 61th and 72th month (and same after this point)
                 old reward program will get   $60/year compare with $10/year on the new system 
  3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,

- 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well

- add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
- you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone

Chris76

Mindfulmum,

Since you are a current customer with PM, I would stay with the rewards program.  You automatically get the $2 save with autopay every month and are guaranteed to get this saving.  

Chris76

@BeachNBeer wrote:

New points you can't get $2 auto-pay. Loyalty is pretty much gone. You get 10 points per year. Valued at $10. 

You forgot some % off of your bill every 30 days.

BeachNBeer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@mindfulmum Old is way better if you want to save money every 30 days that gets deducted for your bill. New points system i💩 if you want to pretty much pay full price plans. Those on old should stay on old. If you switch to new points then you can't switch back. New points started for every signup since January 25th 2022.

New points you can't get $2 auto-pay. Loyalty is pretty much gone. You get 10 points per year. Valued at $10. 

If your account is on old rewards stick with it.

Need Help? Let's chat.