cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Old plan on 5g

ramzes
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi, Im thinking of changing to the promotion plan of $39 per month 20gb at 4g speed. My current plan is the old $45 per month but it says 5g on the top. Will it change the speed?

7 REPLIES 7

I think both 4G and 5G will be throttled exactly the same.

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

it's the same concept as with the 3g plans. IT is now safe to leave 5g enabled. I have a suspicious feeling that only the 5g will be throttled. I will do some tests in the near future when the roll out is more official and see if it is true

Screenshot_20230525-153100.png

*update 

5g normally uses more CPU usage and heats up the device especially with a weak signal so I've switched back to lte. unless I'm experiencing weaker data bandwidth on LTE I'm not going to use 5g. better battery efficiency is the better option

All the plans should have access to 5G now, but "4G speed" plans will be throttled to 100 Mbps.

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@bjs23 wrote:

Just switched to the $39 plan. Says 5G at the top but of course limited to 100mbps speeds

@bjs23 See my reply above vis a vis forcing your phone onto LTE only....

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @ramzes 

both $45 and $39 are LTE/4G plans. Same speed

bjs23
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Just switched to the $39 plan. Says 5G at the top but of course limited to 100mbps speeds

kb_mv
Mayor / Maire

@ramzes wrote:

Hi, Im thinking of changing to the promotion plan of $39 per month 20gb at 4g speed. My current plan is the old $45 per month but it says 5g on the top. Will it change the speed?

@ramzes The $39 plan is at 4G/LTE, same as the $45 plan regardless of what your phone hooks up to. Switch your phone to only select 4G/LTE and you will notice a marked improvement in your speeds. Hooking up to 5G actually hinders it (unless of course you subscribe to a 5G plan).

Need Help? Let's chat.