cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number porting mess

blue_sloth
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I was trying to port a phone number from Freedom Mobile. Public Mobile wouldn't accept my full Freedom account number, composed of both letters and numbers. They only allowed me to enter numbers. So I stupidly submitted the port request with just the numbers.

Freedom Mobile sent an authorization text to me which I replied to with "yes". Then Public Mobile immediately texted me to say that my number porting request failed due to an incorrect account number.

I tried resubmitting it but now I'm immediately told my number isn't eligible for porting. What should I do? There seems to be no way of speaking with a human.

19 REPLIES 19

blue_sloth

Yes I've submitted it. This has definitely given me some pause for sure. If something actually horrible happened, like my phone got stolen or my number got lost porting OUT of Public, I'd imagine I'd be totally screwed.

HI @blue_sloth 

I think you need to submit a ticket with  PM agent and have them to check.  

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

They reply my earlier question quick today, so you should got yours sorted out today, too

blue_sloth

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to say the number doesn't physically work. It connected fine. They just refuse to speak to me about Public Mobile. Basically what happens when I call the number, is it asks me for the number I'm trying to port, then says it can't locate a porting request for that number. Then after failing a few times, it just seems to loop me back around to Telus's main customer service (e.g. giving options like prepaid, TV, internet or postpaid). I've tried unsuccessfully speaking with the postpaid department, but they won't help me at all. And when I try prepaid, which Public technically is, it hangs up on me immediately and tells me to use online chat. I would love to message support, but I understood that the only way to get support on PM is through this forum. Anything else I could try?

@blue_sloth um.  the number works all the time

I guess you have to message support and explained what happen and ask them to manual port the line for you

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

blue_sloth

Welp, it didn't work. The system asks for my number a few times then just loops me around to Telus customer service. If I select prepaid, it hangs up on me and tells me to use chat. If I select postpaid, it transfers me to a representative but as soon as I mention it's about porting to Public Mobile they say I need to go online to PM, resubmit the request there and get help online. They won't talk to me at all. Any other options or is this just not going to work?

@blue_sloth wrote:

I’m just curious, but why did you edit my own post?

category change

blue_sloth

I’m just curious, but why did you edit my own post?

@blue_sloth wrote:

absolutely. For future readers, I did, in fact already try this based on the previous advice, and it didn’t cancel the port request.

I see that now, and actually edited by reply to you a few minutes later.  I fully realize that that the wrong account number was provided, but what sometimes happens is a customer thinks that number porting failed when it didn't.  Some have then did exactly as you tried only to find that the phone number was got lost because of those actions.

blue_sloth

absolutely. For future readers, I did, in fact already try this based on the previous advice, and it didn’t cancel the port request.

@blue_sloth wrote:

Would it work to ask for a new phone number from Public Mobile? Then resubmit the port request on my own?

I strongly advise against anyone trying this.  I do see that you have actually already tried, and athough number porting should fail due to the account number being incorrect, by some strange chance the porting did complete, the possibility exists that you would have be cancelled the phone number that you do want. You will need Public Mobile's assistance.   Also, I do not believe that changing your phone number would have actually cancel the porting request.

Whenever nubmer porting fails (or a correction to the request needs to be made) , there isn't any way for a customer to fix this without the help of customer service.

@blue_sloth  you should call the porting team tomorrow to confirm what was the issue

and , does your number pass the eligibility test here:

https://secure.koodomobile.com/checktransfereligibilityparrot/checkSingle.do

blue_sloth

Well, it didn’t work. I changed my number on Public Mobile, but it is still saying my number is in eligible for porting. Crap.

@blue_sloth 

it should.

but I would still ask them if they can check what went wrong and you can avoid it next time.

You can also get a new number first, and submit a ticket with PM and ask them to help to manually port the number

just in case you are going with getting a new number first, you can do so by going to My Account, Profile page, click the pencil besides your number and then pick a new number there

https://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/update/phone-numberhttps://myaccount.publicmobile.ca/en/account/profile/update/phone-number

blue_sloth

Would it work to ask for a new phone number from Public Mobile? Then resubmit the port request on my own?

@blue_sloth 

yes, you called after 10PM EST and the live support is closed

Please call again tomorrow morning after 9AM EST and enter the phone number twice and it will forward you to a live support person and they can confirm what went wrong

blue_sloth

Unfortunately I think the request is still pending, I can't cancel or resubmit it. If I just cancel the whole line, will I be able to keep my "non ported" number? This is such a mess. 

blue_sloth

Hey, it didn't work unfortunately. I get "we're sorry, there isn't a porting request for this phone number" and it doesn't let me bypass that to speak to a human. Meanwhile Public Mobile shows my Freedom number as the phone number for my line, but of course I can't get calls/texts either to that number or to my temporary number that they issued me with.

Honestly this is such a mess I have half a mind just to cancel the whole thing, but concerned I may somehow lose my "non ported" number if I do so.

Hollister
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@blue_sloth 

Call a customer service agent at the Telus Porting team. I will pm you the number. Look at mail icon top right.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@blue_sloth 

no worry, it was rejected for your re-submission because the earlier one was still pending, and it can be fixed

There is a number to call to talk to live support,  they can re-trigger the process for you.  I will message the number to you via the Community inbox ( https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/privatenotespage ) .  Check the envelope icon on top right.  Call them and get it fixed (but they closed at 10pm EST, so, either call now quickly or you have to wait for tomorrow morning0

Need Help? Let's chat.