cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Number Transfer from Previous Provider with multiple lines

poleary
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello

I was going through the number transfer automated process but at the end it asks if it's OK to transfer the number and cancel the account with the previous provider using the account number. This is where I have ambiguity. The account number has 3 other phones attached that I would like to remain active under the previous provider. If I authorize PM to "cancel" my account will it also cancel the other 3 phones lines and not just the one I am porting over to PM? It's really poorly worded during the transfer process.

6 REPLIES 6

mj777

I just did mine last month. The one you are porting will be the only one that will be cancelled.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@poleary   I ported a number from another carrier account that had multiple lines.  Mine was not the primary account holder so there was no issue and the port worked seamlessly leaving the remaining number and account on the old provider.  I'm not sure how it would work if one was porting the primary holder's line.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@poleary 

Public mobile and Telus are separate companies.  Telus office likely will not be able to help to port over to Public mobile.  Public mobile services are online only with no in person help. 

With family plans (multiple lines on one account), you are able to port one of the lines to Public mobile.  The other lines in the account will be left alone.  Many customers have done so in the past.  

HI @poleary yes, it's much easier to "get" the line from Telus in case the usual way does not work 🙂

poleary

Telus is the old provider, so I assume it might be easier to attempt the transfer while at a telus office.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @poleary 

last time I did I said NO to that question and it worked.  But it could also depends on your carrier.   After you submitted the porting request, wait 2 hours, call your old carrier and make sure they understand. 

but generally, the line itself will be cancelled on the old carrier after port, for multi lines account, the account usually won't close if still have other lines

Need Help? Let's chat.