cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Not getting automated text messages

Cyllaine
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

Weird issue came up after switching to Public mobile about 1 week ago.

I cannot receive any text message for an automated 2FA authentication system like the ones used for banking or logging into many apps.

I can make and receive calls just fine. I can send text messages and they get received.

I can receive texts from my contacts just fine.

Any ideas how to fix this?

Thanks!

12 REPLIES 12

@darlicious wrote:

@t_p 

Texting HELP or SUBSCRIBE can help to get a reply from the shortcode and get it working. However it is important to CAPITALIZE the the text message wording.

@darlicious 

No need to capitalize. Works fine for me. Have you tried it?

@t_p 

Texting HELP or SUBSCRIBE can help to get a reply from the shortcode and get it working. However it is important to CAPITALIZE the the text message wording.

Cyllaine

Oh that could be it. Alright i'll wait a few days and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help.

Cyllaine

Virgin mobile port. Never had any phone issues with them but their prices were getting insane.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@esjliv wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@t_p wrote:

Try dialing "help" to one of the problematic shortcode to see if you get a reply.

@t_p : Texting? Typing?

Cranking?

esjliv_1-1637020816736.png

PM's calling rates are so low, it's no wonder us PM users are a cranky bunch 🤓

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Cyllaine   has it been 1full week yet?  

it's normal you don't get 2FA/Shortcodes type of message for the first couple days, to as many as 7 days, from financial institutions.  There have security in place to for not sending 2FA authentication after a phone number is ported just in case SIM fraud.  Usually you should start getting those texts after 3 days or 7 days.  So, if it has not been 1 full week yet, those messages should come soon. 

If it has been over 1 week, you can try to contact the you bank to confirm if they see any issue.  

@Anonymous wrote:

@t_p wrote:

Try dialing "help" to one of the problematic shortcode to see if you get a reply.

Cranking?

esjliv_1-1637020816736.png

Anonymous
Not applicable

@t_p wrote:

t_p
Mayor / Maire

@Cyllaine wrote:

Hello,

I cannot receive any text message for an automated 2FA authentication system like the ones used for banking or logging into many apps.

I can make and receive calls just fine. I can send text messages and they get received.

Thanks!

@Cyllaine 

Try dialing texting "help" to one of the problematic shortcode to see if you get a reply.

I think I've read somewhere that could re-trigger or speed up the process.

@Anonymous  oopsie...

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Cyllaine 

can you try reseat the SIM card and Make sure your phone is off before removing your SIM card,

1. power off your device

2. take out the SIM card,

3. waiting a 1 minute

4. put it back and power on,

5. toggling airplane mode off/on,  

can you try manually selecting network "3G ONLY" or WCDMA only,

for iPhone visit Here link 

or Here link 

for android visit Here link ,

and do Rebooting your phone ,This is quick and simple,

*what is mean for Rebooting the phone means to turn off your phone and turn it back on again.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@Cyllaine wrote:

Hello,

Thanks!

@Cyllaine 

Some of these short code texts and 2FA authorization numbers do take time to "find you" after SIM card activation.

If it has been a week, they should be working soon. I hear it could take up to 10 days.

In the meantime, try these things to refresh your network:

*turn off your phone, leave off for a few minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode, then going back to regular mode

*reset network settings on your device

Meow
Mayor / Maire

@Cyllaine wrote:

Did you port real land line number by any chance? Or number from TextNow or Fongo?

Need Help? Let's chat.