cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No network in my house

J418
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Public claims to have reliable 5g coverage. Why am I not able to get there network on my property or in my house? Located in St.Catharines. Speed test shows 1 Mbps, if it works at all. Can I fix this or did I switch companies for nothing? 

14 REPLIES 14

Yzeguy

I had the opposite. Rogers/Fido/Chatr won’t work in the building I work at depending on where I stand (Pen Centre), but no issues with either my PM or Telus lines. 

Yzeguy

Try restarting your phone and make sure cellular is on 5G auto so that it will switch to LTE if there is a connection issue. 

I’m in St Catharines and have had nothing but positive experiences since the 5G plans went live. 

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@J418 

Brick will have issues with 5G penetrating through the brick wall.

4G/LTE or 3 G will not have this issue.

J418

Thanks everyone. I'm trying just LTE for now and see how it goes. 

J418

I am going to try LTE for now and see what happens. So far a speed test shows faster data transfers. 

J418

You are probably right about the tower location. In Niagara Falls I get full bars. St.Catharines I do not. Came from rogers and it used to be full bars here. I'm going to try out having just LTE turned on and see what happens. 

@J418   Mine is an iPhone 13 too, my house is mostly wood.  I sometimes get 5G outdoors but indoors it's always LTE.  I just did a speed test and got 121 Mbps down and 4.86 up in the house and well away from a window. I usually only have one or two bars on the phone at home, I don't think that has much to do with data speed given the speedtest results just now which are fairly typical.  When the phone says 5G (it's on 5G auto) and I'm in other areas I can get up to the advertised max for 5G speed.  Probably if none of the suggested solutions works you might want to contact customer service, use the chat/message icon bottom right of this page. 

J418

I do have coverage on there map. I live in a regular house with brick on the exterior. 

J418

Yes it's an iPhone 13. 

J418

Nope. Always had one bar since I switched 3 weeks ago. 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @J418 

Reboot phone first

go to network mode and select only 4G and 5G and test again

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@J418 

Check to see if there are 5G coverage in your area:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage?gad_source=1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8pKxBhD_ARIsAPrG45lsQaup-XCCP7... 

If there is, are you in a concrete building? 5G can’t go through thick walls. That is why commercials show people using 5G outdoors.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@J418   5G signal is not as good at penetrating a house, I get 5G outdoors but LTE in the house.  The speed for either is way better than what you are getting though.  Is your phone 5G capable would be the first question?

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

What is signal strength?

Did you EVER had faster speed? Maybe PM has no own towers there so it is patching through other companies.

Need Help? Let's chat.