cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No incoming/outgoing calls

asnelson29
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I was not able to find anything related to this issue so I am reaching out for help. My son has an iPhone 7. He is able to make and receive calls at his mother's house but not at my house. He is able to text and use data but not call. His account is active and calling is part of his plan. 

I am on Telus with an iPhone 7 and I can make and receive calls with little issue. My wife is on Telus with a Pixel 3 and has never had a problem. My father has Koodo with a Galaxy S7 and is experiencing the same problem. 

Does anyone know if Telus restricts calling on their sub-brands in any cases? The tower is a newer tower so I am concerned the Samsung isn't working due to the antenna but two iPhone 7s having a different experience when the only difference is one being main brand and the other being a sub-brand. 

Thanks for your help. 

15 REPLIES 15

Some great advice provided already. Just to clarify, @computergeek541 is correct. VoLTE would work independently for every caller. There is no requirement to have end-to-end VoLTE for both callers. A Telus subscriber can make a VoLTE call to a landline and it works just fine.

PM does not offer VoLTE yet, and 3G coverage is required for voice calls. @Nezgar provided a great suggestion. Disable LTE and see if you have coverage. That will narrow down the issue.

As for "down shifting", the correct term is SRVCC. This allows an existing VoLTE call to transfer to 3G when moving from LTE coverage to a new area that only has 3G. These days this is very rare.

Based on what's described, I am also suspecting lack of 3G is the issue. Since some time last year, both Telus and Bell are no longer deploying 3G. All new sites are LTE only.

@Luddite wrote:

@geopublic wrote:

Thanks for your help. 

@asnelson29  The only reason I could think of is that Public Mobile uses strictly 3G for calls so if the tower in your area only offers LTE coverage/service then that would be the reason.  Telus uses VoLTE (Voice over LTE) for calling .

@geopublic  Not technically proficient on this topic, but doubt it. VoLTE can only be fullly LTE if both phones and both carriers support VoLTE. All VoLTE calls must be able to "downshift" to 3G calling otherwise most calls in Canada would fail. Believe all carriers fully support 3G networks for calling worldwide (some also 2G), albeit on different frequencies. 

I don't believe it's the case that both carriers need to support VoLTE for a call.  Maybe, @sheytoon can clear this up, but I think that once the call is placed through the originating network, the receiving network isn't going to care how the outgoing caller is connected.

@asnelson29

Try manually setting the phone to 3G/HSPA/WCDMA mode (disabling LTE) and see if the phone receives any coverage. Then it should be obvious if there is no 3G signal in the area.

604vancouver

I had an issue with incoming calls failing to be received. The issue turned out to be a failed port over of my previous phone number to Public mobile. I contacted my previous network provider to ask them to re-enable the old phone number for porting over. Once your previous network has enabled the old number, Public mobile can proceed to port over the number for you.

In addition tier 1 providers also support WiFi calling so if 3G is not available then calling is still possible. Most newer phones support both WiFi calling and volte.

Volte and WIFI calling allows customers to use calling in areas where 3G coverage is not available. 

@geopublic wrote:

Thanks for your help. 

@asnelson29  The only reason I could think of is that Public Mobile uses strictly 3G for calls so if the tower in your area only offers LTE coverage/service then that would be the reason.  Telus uses VoLTE (Voice over LTE) for calling .

@geopublic  Not technically proficient on this topic, but doubt it. VoLTE can only be fullly LTE if both phones and both carriers support VoLTE. All VoLTE calls must be able to "downshift" to 3G calling otherwise most calls in Canada would fail. Believe all carriers fully support 3G networks for calling worldwide (some also 2G), albeit on different frequencies. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

asnelson29

Thanks. I will be trying the SIM swap soon. My son does have plenty of minutes left. Checked that and the data first thing. 

My father is on a post paid plan so there should be no issues with no minutes left. 

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@asnelson29 There should be no difference between the 2 phones. Next time you son is over swap SIMs with him and try the calls.

If he has the PM $10 or $15 plans should also confirm that his calling allowance didn't run out.

As far as your Father's plan on Koodo; same question if he uses the low end prepaid plan.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@asnelson29 wrote:

I had that thought but my understanding was PM uses LTE but slows the speed to 3G speed, up to 3Mbps and VoLTE allows voice and data at the same time. Typically when a voice call would me made it would push the data to 4G, which I think just answered my question. While there is coverage here it is is LTE-A so there would be no way to push the data to 4G and therefore cannot complete the call without VoLTE. 

@asnelson29  Correct.

Thank you all who have commented. I will be trying out all your suggestions, as well as disabling background data to see if that might be preventing the calls. I wanted to see if anyone knew it wouldn't work for any other reasons before I went through all that. 

asnelson29

I had that thought but my understanding was PM uses LTE but slows the speed to 3G speed, up to 3Mbps and VoLTE allows voice and data at the same time. Typically when a voice call would me made it would push the data to 4G, which I think just answered my question. While there is coverage here it is is LTE-A so there would be no way to push the data to 4G and therefore cannot complete the call without VoLTE. 

Thank you all who have commented. I will be trying out all your suggestions, as well as disabling background data to see if that might be preventing the calls. I wanted to see if anyone knew it wouldn't work for any other reasons before I went through all that. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@geopublic wrote:

Telus uses VoLTE (Voice over LTE) for calling .

Just to complete that thought...but not Public Mobile.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@asnelson29 wrote:

Hello,

I was not able to find anything related to this issue so I am reaching out for help. My son has an iPhone 7. He is able to make and receive calls at his mother's house but not at my house. He is able to text and use data but not call. His account is active and calling is part of his plan. 

I am on Telus with an iPhone 7 and I can make and receive calls with little issue. My wife is on Telus with a Pixel 3 and has never had a problem. My father has Koodo with a Galaxy S7 and is experiencing the same problem. 

Does anyone know if Telus restricts calling on their sub-brands in any cases? The tower is a newer tower so I am concerned the Samsung isn't working due to the antenna but two iPhone 7s having a different experience when the only difference is one being main brand and the other being a sub-brand. 

Thanks for your help. 

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Check network coverage.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/coverage

Try swapping the sim card with another phone to rule out if it is a hardware issue.

gblackma
Mayor / Maire

@asnelson29 try reseting the network setting. Resart the phone if it doesn't automatically.  Re-enter sms and mms to send and receive from Android phones.  

Reset your Network Settings.

Go to Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This also resets Wi-Fi networks and passwords, cellular settings, and VPN and APNsettings that you've used before.

I just checked the specs. It has the required LTE bands. So, it should work. Stay safe. 

gpixel
Mayor / Maire

@asnelson29 not too sure, I haven't run into any problems like that. it could be a tower problem.. try resetting the network settings on both the iPhone and the s7

iPhone reset network settings:
1. From the home screen navigate to Settings>General>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings
If prompted enter your passcode
3. Tap Reset Network Settings
4. Restart your phone

Samsung reset network:
1. Open Settings>General Management>Reset
2. Tap Reset Network Settings>Tap Reset Settings
If prompted enter your pin, passcode
3. Tap Reset Settings 1 more time to confirm

4. Restart