cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data a week after new billing cycle? I'm confused.

MaggiesMom
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When does data renew?  I assumed it was on the day you paid your bill, but I got an alert a week before my bill was due that I'd used up 75% of my data - that's typical for me.   No biggie, I never use all my data before the month is up.   So my bill payment comes out and the next day, I get another text saying i've used up 75% of my data.  I check usage and it's showing the promo and another line showing regular usage and both are showing as 75% used.  This makes no sense.  I am always using WIFI while at home, and I'm not going anywhere except work and I don't use my data at work.   I did use data a few times the previous month because I knew I had extra from the promo, but what gives?   I ran out of data today after only a week of my new billing cycle!  That has NEVER happened before and I cannot see a reason why it would happen now.   I haven't used enough data according to my usage history ... help?

5 REPLIES 5

Are you leaving your data on all the time?  And assuming wifi will prevail? If yes, you might be in some wifi dead spots and your data will prevail. I leave my data OFF  and turn it on to use and back off.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

@MaggiesMom wrote:

When does data renew?  I assumed it was on the day you paid your bill, but I got an alert a week before my bill was due that I'd used up 75% of my data - that's typical for me.

Your base plan data usage is reset to 0 on the date the base plan renews. Adding funds to your account balance does not reset any usage. Also, regardless of any text notifications, the usage information on the overview page of selfserve is the number to rely on.

If usage seems to be off, you can try go go through the "View My Usage" link on selfseve, and look for any discrepancies in the daily data usage logs.

Also, the built-in data usage counter on android phones works on "monthly" cycles, not 30 day cycles that PM plans use, so you will have to change your 'start date' every couple months or so when months have other than 30 days.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@MaggiesMom 

Interpreting Public Mobile's usage history data tabulations is a tedious process, but it can be done.

Go under your Usage History, select the past 30 days, then scroll through the pages and you'll see the data consumption displayed for each day.   Add that up to the date of your most recent renewal, and see if the data tabulated is anywhere near your data allotment.

This way, you'll be prepared for your contact to the Moderators with this information.  They WILL make this right for you.

@MaggiesMom wrote:

When does data renew?  I assumed it was on the day you paid your bill, but I got an alert a week before my bill was due that I'd used up 75% of my data - that's typical for me.   No biggie, I never use all my data before the month is up.   So my bill payment comes out and the next day, I get another text saying i've used up 75% of my data.  I check usage and it's showing the promo and another line showing regular usage and both are showing as 75% used.  This makes no sense.  I am always using WIFI while at home, and I'm not going anywhere except work and I don't use my data at work.   I did use data a few times the previous month because I knew I had extra from the promo, but what gives?   I ran out of data today after only a week of my new billing cycle!  That is NEVER happened before and I cannot see a reason why it would happen now.   I haven't used enough data according to my usage history ... help?

It sounds to me that the counter didn't reset properly. Only a moderator could fix that. You'll need to open a ticket by going to:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@MaggiesMom 

Occasionally, the data counter does not reset when the plan renews.  You can check your actual usage history in your self service account to confirm.  Sometimes, if your wifi goes down for any reason, your phone can start using data.  Some apps will use data in the background.  Wifi assist also can cause data leakage.  

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/managing-your-data-usage

If you believe that the data did not reset, you will need to contact moderator.

Need Help? Let's chat.