cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No 5g connection option in my phone settings

Steveb0159
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

With my previous Carrier, I had a 5G connection in my phone(Samsung S20+) settings so I know my phone is 5g capable.

6 REPLIES 6

HI @Steveb0159 

yes, it is a Samsung OS issue blocking the option from displaying on Public Mobile as well as Koodo.  There is no such block with Telus and hence you will see 5G option when a Telus sim is there

But if you test your speed on LTE/4G, your speed should be over 100Mbps or close to 200Mbps.  So, you didn't lose any speed even you are using LTE

Steveb0159
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I had 5g connection on this phone when.i was with Telus 

wingy
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I have the Samsung S20 fe 5g and mine is the same it just shows LTE+ instead of 5g but I still get 5g speed when in range of a 5g towers

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Steveb0159 

Many reported this problem with the line of Samsung S20 phone, mainly because it was blocked on the OS level, an agreement between Telus and Samsung because both Koodo and PM did not have 5G support when S20 was introduced.  Yes, PM and Koodo both supporting 5G but it is too late and Samsung no longer update the OS to allow the phone to use 5G on PM

But even with you connected on LTE, your speed shoudl still be as good as you are on 5G network (close to 200Mbos)   Please try "Reset All networks" on your phone first, and also test the phone in different area

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/Samsung-s20-5G/m-p/1043676#M728790

TheSterlinger
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Steveb0159  sorry, samsung s20 fe 5g does not work here at PM.

It was already too already too late for them to make it work so both Samsung and PM decided not to continue with 5g. 

But you will still get LTE and faster streaming.  You still have access to 5G speed on the network. 

If you really need it, unfortunately you might have to think about returning to previous carrier 

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Steveb0159 

unfortunately it is a known issue for Samsung S20 without 5G choice on the network mode. Something to do with older firmware but Samsung would not update it anymore

but you can still get near 5G speed, which means 200Mpbs or more , using the 4G network.  So, for speed, you didn't lose anything

Need Help? Let's chat.