cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting to E-SIM

Wayworn
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

On my iPhone 12 can I just do the following? 

On your iPhone, go to Settings > Mobile Data. Tap Convert to eSIM. If you can't see Convert to eSIM, your network provider doesn't support this option.

1. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Cellular.
  2. Tap Convert to eSIM. If you don't see Convert to eSIM, your carrier doesn't support this option. ...
  3. Tap Convert Cellular Plan.
  4. Tap Convert to eSIM.
  5. Wait for your eSIM to activate. ...
  6. Remove the physical SIM from your iPhone.
5 REPLIES 5

Wayworn

That’s what I had assumed but apparently not on iPhone 12  but I may be mistaken. . Anyway all is fine now and this exercise reminded me of the saying “if it isn’t broke don’t touch it” ha ha. 

@Wayworn 

while it is true most phones can only have one active esim , but your phone should be able to just "disable" (not delete) the other eSIM Profiles.  Check and confirm.  You should be able to install the esim for both providers and only enable the one you want when needed

Wayworn

I was very rash by switching to E-sim and didn’t realize that my phone can only support one e-sim and by doing so did delete my existing e-sim  with another provider. Thanks to PM easy self help account, I very quickly was able to convert back to a physical Sim. But reactivating the e-sim with the other provider was very time consuming. People should not complain about PM not having live help. With my other provider had to wait on the phone for a long time then once connected had to wait again for them to transfer to another department and then had a bit of communication problem understanding the nice and helpful agent because I had trouble understanding her. After what seemed to be hours all was back to normal.

Wayworn

My phone does show the option to automatically convert to. E-sim. I’m not in a hurry to convert and just want to make sure that when I decide it wont cause problems. 

UPDATE --- I took a chance and just did the "convert to e-sim" on my iPhone 12 .  Removed the physical sim and it seems to have worked.  Checked a friends iPhone 11 and it didn't show the option to convert to E-Sim but maybe it's because he's on a different network.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Wayworn no, you don't convert to eSIM that way

you have to buy from the PM app 

To buy new eSIM , first, download the app on your new phone.  Click Account from the bottom, then click Purchase SIM Card and select eSIM

Once it confirms your phone is eSIM compatible, click Pay $  and Install   and follow the prompt to complete and purchase

Need Help? Let's chat.