cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Phone won't make calls or receive them.

Psygineer
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

I was just given a a brand new (sealed) Galaxy S21 FE. The person got it "free" from their renewal but wanted to keep using their watch as a phone. They gave it to me. It did come from Rogers, but it should be unlocked, gave no indicator of being locked. (No prompt for code, etc.).
When I put the SIM in, Public Mobile does show up. It is showing bars, and everything seems normal. When I try to place a call, it waits a short amount of time then just hangs up (doesn't do the usual connection sound then ring). Doesn't matter what number I dial. If I try to call it, it doesn't ring (ringer is on) and it eventually goes to voicemail.

Any ideas? It's hopefully not defective or some how carrier locked (they have not done that for a few years now).

It will sometimes say "Mobile Network not available" or "Not registered on Network" or "Emergency Calls Only"

Things I have tried:

• Removed and reinserted SIM
  • Different SIM (Put my sim in, put my mother's sim in)
  • Reboot
  • Power Off
  • Updates
  • Toggle 3G and 4G.
  • Checked APN.
  • Resetting Network Settings
  • Factory Reset
  • Waited 3 hours (in case that would help)
17 REPLIES 17

wally_k
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ported over from Telus. No calls in or out, but got some messages fron PB after the process.  Fiddled with Mobile Net work setting on my Galaxy A5. Noticed that the network was still set to Tellus. Changed the Network Mode and BAM connected to PB.

Metal1967

@Psygineer  Airplane mode applied the de icer..😬

Psygineer

Solved it... and it was a weird one. So the airplane mode thing sort of worked, so I will give the credit there.

It turns out.... it's snowing heavy. Signal has never been the greatest here, and I do have a booster.... however... I guess a wee bit too much snow has built up on it. Not sure if there is some kind of Network handshake or what have you that is needed for a new phone to be activated on the network and having the snow was enough to block it (while still letting the old phones work), but cleaning the snow off the booster and toggling airplane mode a couple more times made it wake up and connect. Now it is working fine. Bizarre. 

Maybe run it by Samsung to see about being locked.

Psygineer

Will do on Tuesday, they should be back in town then. Thanks for the suggestion.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

Hi @Psygineer 

I know it was sealed earlier, so your Rogers friend did not try either  Ask your friend to test with his Rogers sim card.   If that does not work too, the phone could be defective

Psygineer

Interesting! Better than nothing, will give it a whirl!

Metal1967

@Psygineer  Had the same issue..airplane mode.. left it for a few hrs.. it worked.. not a sure fire fix.. worked for me.. good luck 

Psygineer

Seems the data is fine. However calling still says Mobile Network not available.

@Psygineer if both IMEI checks so it's clean, askl friends with different active somes from different providers to test, Koodo, Telus, Bell..

if only sim from Telus family is failing, I would open ticket with PM support and ask them to check for you

@Psygineer if you see it connects briefly and disconnect, usually it means the phone is blacklisted.  It connected, talk to the network and thrn the network rejects it after chrcking blacklist 

Psygineer

"Your device HAS NOT been reported lost or stolen and is not currently on the national blacklist."

Psygineer

I did see the LTE appear earlier, but currently even that seems to be gone. Right now the phone is remaining on Emergency Calls only. 

EDIT: Data is working fine. Calling is not.

@Psygineer and when you check balcklist, make sure you put the correct IMEI.  There are two, one for the eSim one for the physical sim slot

Psygineer

Neither SIM worked in it. They are working in their respective phones they were taken from.

kaytus
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Psygineer When you put another SIM, is it working for the S21. If works, may be the SIM problem, or can u put back your SIM for your old phone, see it was working

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Psygineer 

does mobile data work?  do you see the phone connected and keep connected?

check first if the phone is blacklisted

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

Need Help? Let's chat.