cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Canada-US plan

wolfrat
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

This plan was previously only available in QC, now Canada wide.

$50 for 

• 40 GB Canada-US Data at 4G Speed
  • Unlimited Canada-US wide minutes and messaging plus unlimited international text and picture messaging

That includes the roaming while in the US? 

That sounds too good to be true!  My current plan is $35, so it makes much more sense to go up to this $50 plan when traveling to US rather than adding roaming/talk/text for $30 for only 15 days. Am I missing something?

Or is it just that this is a promotion and if I can't really go back and forth?

37 REPLIES 37

Eloyce
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

I’m miffed, this should still be available for us at $40/month! NOT $60

@Jethro66 Initiate? You don't need to buy a separate roaming add-on, but you need to enable Data Roaming in your network connections on your phone. I'd also recommend setting your Preferred Network to 4G when in the US. And if you have trouble with Automatic network selection, try manually connecting to T-Mobile. 

Jethro66

Do I need to initiate data roaming even though my plan is can/usa

It's all included. Calling to Canada and the US whether in Canada or the US.

Adding - @Mich374a 

@Mich374a If you're roaming with your PM sim (either roaming add-on or Can/US plan), then your Canadian contacts will be calling you on your local number, so no long distance for them. If you use your US sim it will likely be long distance for them.

If you're asking about people in the US calling you, then yes that could be long distance for them if they're calling your Canadian number. That said, I have dozens of US contacts who are able to call my Canadian number without issue. I believe most US plans include calling to Canada. 

If you're going for 6 months the $50/40GB Can/US plan probably makes the most sense. 

Mich374a

Does anyone know if it's long distance for people with US plans to call while we are in the US. We'll be in Arizona for 6 months and  I'm trying to decide if I'm going to get the Canada-US plan or use my US sim & plan from the carrier I used last year.  It would be much easier to just use my Public phone # year round.  

@hTideGnow Yeah if you're tech savvy or don't mind fiddling with it, that may speed it up. For those that want to set it and forget it for frequent trips, I still recommend automatic. My parents for example, automatic all the way 🤣

HI @DennyCrane 

i guess the 5-10 mins delay is the automatic network selection, the phone is jumping between the US and Canada signals, happened to me before.   That's why I don't mine a manual network selection

@dust2dust I'm always driving anyway, so I can't fiddle with it. I run Android Auto in my car, but the map is already downloaded by the time I cross the border anyway, so I just wait and let it do its thing. I don't seem to experience this when I fly into the US, only driving. 

@DennyCrane- Try in and out of airplane mode next time rather than a full reboot. Interesting that there might be a delay. I've only ever turned off airplane mode once on the ground in a plane.

HI @jimhowe 

usually not if you have leave your network selection to Autoamtic

But sometimes, people hvae to change to manual and choose T-Mobile or AT&T, then  you will need to change it back to Automatic or Manual and Public Mobile after 

wolfrat

No. It will just be like permanently having US roaming add-ons.

@jimhowe  just make sure when you go to the US you have data roaming on and your connected to T mobile or AT&T 

@jimhowe Not if you leave data roaming on at all times and leave network selection to automatic.

I do find it can take 5-10 minutes to connect at either end when I drive across the border though. If you were in a rush a reboot would probably speed it up. 

@jimhowe- No. Leave it on automatic networks, leave roaming data on, for best connectivity to either roaming partner leave phone on 4G LTE.
Do you know if your phone has been enabled for volte yet?

jimhowe

Do you need to do anything to your phone when moving back and forth across the border?

@RedMtl1- lol Yup, apparently we were typing around the same time. Happens.

With that fine print above, it opens some interpretation of whether calls from outside Canada and the US will ring through when in the US. Then we're waiting for a confirmation of whether calls out to other than Canada will ring through when in the US.

RedMtl1

Much obliged for the extra confirmation.

@RedMtl1- Long distance is becoming more and more a thing of the past. This plan can call Canada and the US from Canada and the US (except some restricted numbers).

RedMtl1

Thanks! That point isn't clearly made anywhere in the information. Good to know. Appreciated!

@RedMtl1 You're good. It's unlimited calls to/from the US and Canada. Long distance calls from Canada to the US are included, and vice versa. 

RedMtl1

Query: the only unclear point is long distance. It is clear you can use it in both Canada and America, but, if you make a call from Montreal to San Francisco, is that still long distance? Or, put another way, can you only call a USA number from within the USA (and vice versa)?

I don't see any mention of a reasonable use clause with regards to roaming, so I don't think so. I guess you never know, but I wouldn't worry too much about it. If they contact you you can deal with it then.

@jtos14mb14  No I don’t believe so 

jtos14mb14

They won't suddenly cut of service because most of the service is happening in the US?

jtos14mb14

Will this work for someone who is going away to school in the US for 10 months and wants to keep their PM number for 2 factor authentication?

Hawaii, yes

Alaska, no. Contrary to what the website says. There is no TMobile service in Alaska. AT&T also used to be a roaming partner, but is no longer. If that changes then we'll have roaming service rim Alaska again, but for now it's a no. 

RogerBall

Does us roaming include Hawaii and Alaska?

Need Help? Let's chat.