cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network Issues

hncfreyja
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi there:

Need some help with my phone.  The past week or so I have been getting a lot of dropped calls and the issue seems to be getting worse.  Today I am not even receiving calls, they are going straight to voicemail.  So I called voicemail and it took a very very long time to connect.  Then I called a colleague and she said it sounded like I was in a tunnel very far away and there were lots of times she couldn't hear me.   I got off the call, checked voicemail again, and it refused to connect.  It took several tries to get it to go through  Last night my husband tried to  call me and the call didn't register on my end at all.  He texted me and I received that fine.  Texts seem to work. I called him and it dropped saying network busy.  I have never seen that before.  We had to talk on FaceTIme.  Of course, this would happen while he is out of town for the week lol

Anyway, today I missed a call for work from a potential client.  As this is a business phone, it is imperative I get this fixed ASAP.  My income depends on clients being able to reach me.  I have a brand new phone I had purchased just in case this one died as I cannot be without a phone but using that is an absolute last resort.  I am in Saint John, NB but I don't think there are any outages. 

What else can I try?  I tried restarting and taking out and replacing the sim.  Any other ideas?  I can't imagine what could be causing this, I have never had an issue with PM.  Is it the phone?  The sim?  The network?    TIA

25 REPLIES 25

hncfreyja

Reporting back.  Everything seems to still be working as it should.  Just received a call from PM tech support and they noted there had been some issues just down the street from me that have since been resolved.  They texted me a msg in case I need to follow up, which is awesome.  Hopefully all will be well.  Very happy with the help through the community and service through support with this issue!  Thank you, everyone 🙂

hncfreyja

So far so good.  I have received two calls successfully so far today and placed another one out successfully with no issue whatsoever.  We shall see if that continues, fingers crossed lol

@hncfreyja so are you still good after that one good phone call earlier today?  I hope they have completely resolved the issue

hncfreyja

I did, that is later in this thread.  The issue persisted, so my current phone is fine.  Happy I had a new one to try, though. 

BEER
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Why not try the "brand new phone" and see what happens? Perhaps your old phone has a problem.

hncfreyja

Got the issue escalated.  I did finally receive one call today without any issues too, would love if it just resolved itself lol.  We shall see how things go the next couple of days. I will report back.

hncfreyja

Yes, I told support there are others with issues in my area and asked how to report it.  I will take your advice.  I have a different person now than earlier today but I will mention what you suggest and hopefully it can be actioned, thank you.

@hncfreyja   interesting find via FB group.  Do you mind to share?  

For reporting, did you already talked to a PM Support?  If so, press them to escalate the issue and press them to push it to proper technical team.  Tell the support clearly you don't like "likely" as the answer and the case closed that way

hncfreyja

By posting on a local Facebook group, I have been able to determine that there is some type of network problem in my area as several others on Koodo and PM are having the same issues.  Interestingly, someone on Telus said they weren't having any issues.

How can we report these issues?  I asked support, but all they said was it it "likely" due to the storms we've had lately and "likely" to be fixed soon.  How can it get fixed if there is no way to report it?  Is there anything else I can do besides waiting around and hoping someone will figure out there is an issue and fix it?  TIA

hncfreyja

Switching SIMs did not work.  Issue persists. We'll see what else support says.

hncfreyja

Support said the account is fine and to get a new SIM and they would reimburse.  I just returned back from purchasing SIM and hopefully that will fix.  I will report back and let you know!

@hncfreyja   I don't think you need to try Factory reset as suggested above.  Seem like is account or SIM issue

It is possible a faulty SIM but it is hard to say.

I would open a ticket with PM first, see what they come back with.  If they cannot find anything wrong, then suggest it could be SIM and ask them to reimburse the SIM cost (they might agree)

Once you get the new SIM, login to My Account and select Change SIM.  Because you do not get a solid text and phone connection, use email address as the 2FA to get the security code to complete the change SIM process

Let us know how it goes

hncfreyja

Yes.  When it restarts, it says Public Mobile in the upper left.

I was at city centre (about 10 mins away) on Monday and had no issues, phone seemed fine Tuesday at home during the day and the issues started that evening.  I have not been anywhere else since the issues started, but my husband is in Fredericton this week with the same setup and his is working fine. 

I switched back to auto gsm/wcdma/lte and restarted.  I saw LTE for data and then I tried it again and it says 4G.  I tried calling out again and it worked first try then I tried again second time and it did not work.

Do you think getting a new SIM might help?  Walmart is about 5 mins away.   It just seems weird, though.  I would think a faulty SIM wouldn't work at all. 

I will try submitting a ticket too, thank you.  This is so weird.  I have never had an issue with PM until yesterday.

@hncfreyja   Earlier I was thinking if it would be an issue with your LG phone (LG sometimes  require a network reset), but since you tried on another phone and same experience, likely is an account/SIM issue

So, you see the phone connected to PM at all?

I checked Telus outage map but there is nothing reported (but the Telus page is not very useful most of the time outside of BC and AB) 

Do you know if your phone works outside of your area now?  (like did you go out today and maybe there is a difference ?)

Open a ticket with PM Support first and see if they can confirm any issue in your region

1. For faster response (2-48 hours), Click on the bubble in the lower right to request CS Agent assistance, or use this direct link: https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start with typing "Submit a ticket", click "Contact Us", click "Other" from the choices, click "Click here to submit a ticket". Then follow to complete the ticket submission.

2. Or you can Send a private message to the CS Agent here: https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox, envelope on the top right, after ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply and work with you  via messaging there

hncfreyja

I am in Saint John, New Brunswick.
Phone is LG G6
Yes, the phone shows Public Mobile in the upper left.  I typically have 3 to 4 bars, sometimes it drops to 2 and goes back up to 3 or 4 quickly.
Mobile data currently is not working but I suspect it would if I restart the phone.  That usually gets it working again for a bit then it goes away again.
Account is Active.  Plan renewed today, although I will note I did not receive the text confirmation as usual.
Yes, I forced it to 3G yesterday.  That worked for a time but stopped working today.
Yes, I took out SIM and reinserted yesterday.  Also tried a brand new phone.  Same issues.
Husband just tried to call and he could not reach me.  Nothing registered on my end or his.  He has the exact same setup as me but since he is away, I will have to wait until he returns tomorrow to see if he has the same issues.

@hncfreyja  Which area are you at ? Province and city?

what phone do you have? brand and model?

is your Mobile network working?

is your phone showing connected to PM network?  how many bars of signal?

did you login to My Account and confirm the account status?

and you tried changing to 3G Only already?

and you tried reseat the SIM (power off the phone, take sim out for a minute before putting things back and power on)?

hncfreyja

Sorry, I have to reinstate this topic.  Still having issues today after forcing to WCDMA only.  I can't call out, and not sure yet if anyone can call in.  Texts take a really long time to send and a long  time for recipients to receive.  It seems to be quite random.  What else can I try?

hncfreyja

Thank you, everyone, so much!  I am back up and running and with data too.  I really appreciate it 🙂

VIP_Tech

@hncfreyja 

try reset your APN Settings (publicmobile.ca)

and Rebooting device.

hncfreyja

Thanks.  Switching to WCDMA works to fix the calling issue but then I have no data lol  Do we know what is causing this? 

hncfreyja

I switched to WCDMA and the issue resolved, but now I have no data.  Any idea what is causing this and how can I fix it?  How can I get my data back too?  Thanks.

hncfreyja

Thank you.  Pulled out new phone, same issue.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

If the Telus coverage is good in your area. If could be you phone.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/coverage 

Try the PM SIM on another phone and see if it is better.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you change to 3G or WCDMA or UMTS from LTE to see if that makes a difference.

VIP_Tech

Hi @hncfreyja 

reset SIM, take out SIM, re-inserting SIM and power on,
try toggling airplane mode off/on,

try manually selecting network "3G only" or WCDMA only,
and Rebooting device..test it.

Need Help? Let's chat.