cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need to ask, hypothetical question on the E-Sim

makkahn28
Mayor / Maire

If lets say one has a E-Sim installed on their Phone, and they went on a vacation, and had to install another E-Sim for that trip,

How can one reinstall the Original PM E-Sim back on the phone W/O having to pay for another?

12 REPLIES 12

LitlLdy
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 wrote:

If lets say one has a E-Sim installed on their Phone, and they went on a vacation, and had to install another E-Sim for that trip,

How can one reinstall the Original PM E-Sim back on the phone W/O having to pay for another?

@makkahn28 ,

All iPhone models that support eSIM can have multiple eSIMs and use Dual SIM with two active SIMs at the same time. 

You can use Dual SIM by using a physical SIM and an eSIM. iPhone 13 models and later also support two active eSIMs. iPhone models without a physical SIM tray support two active eSIMs.

Using Dual SIM with an eSIM

Excellent info

@makkahn28 

If you want your eSIM on anothe phone (say you got a new phone OR you wipe your phone and need it reinstalled), you will need to pay for a new eSIM as eSIM can only be installed once.  Most Canadian providers charged that.  And yes, physical sim is eaiser and better in that sense

Now, If One had a Phone that had space for, 4 E-Sims, Though it's one at a time, does the User still need to buy a new E-Sim when returning from Vacation?

No, you don't need to rebuy as long as the eSIM was never deleted from that device.  Setting it to inactive and then set it back to active is ok.  So, key is never delete the eSIM if unsure

That answers the Main Primary Question on  If One had a Phone that had space for, 4 E-Sims, Though it's one at a time, does the User still need to buy a new E-Sim when returning from Vacation

@hairbag1 , That's what I was asking about

As E-Sim is a Newer Format, Need to educate myself on the aspects of E-Sim

Now, though I don't yet Have a Phone that supports E-Sim, In the event I do, Need to ask all these questions

Now, Unlike a Physical Sim, that can be swapped on the fly, and Swapped back with No need to Buy a Replacement, Wished E-Sim was the same though wasn't sure as I was reading a few different PM ppl

s comments on this, so I needed clarification on this

Now, If One had a Phone that had space for, 4 E-Sims, Though it's one at a time, does the User still need to buy a new E-Sim when returning from Vacation?

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@makkahn28 Most phones with ESIM capability can have multiple esim installed, but only one active eSIM at all time (except iPhone 13 can have 2 active eSIM)

So, you just install the travel eSIM, use the device's Sim Manager to pick that as the active eSIM.  When you are back in Canada, use sim manager to change PM's back to active 

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28  Some phones have ability to have several eSIM at a time but only use one at a time @Priority has 3 PM esims on his Samsung phone but can only use one at a time 

add @makkahn28  check out the post about it 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Get-Support/e-SIM-Capacity/td-p/1032410

@makkahn28 

if you uninstall the original PM esim, you'd need to buy another when you return. Is that what you're asking ?

@hairbag1 That's Not what I was asking

@makkahn28 

if you have your PM account using an esim, then travel to ..say Mexico...you'd need a physical sim from Telcel if you wanted to have service in Mex.

Oh, That is a shame

Just saying, wished there was a way, Like, if the QR Code being the only way or something

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@makkahn28 

you can't do that. You can use a second physical sim though.

Need Help? Let's chat.