cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone # was given to someone else

zachbr
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

the phone number which I have been using for the past 2 years apparently has someone else using it right now. My mom called me and told me that someone else keeps answering my phone, and after some checking myself, i no longer get phone number verification codes anymore. I have tried contacting support but its going very slow and I havent gotten a response yet. its kinda terrifying that just no notice my phone number is no longer mine and I had no idea, and woulnt have had any idea for a while. I can still make calls myself but i cant recive calls or texts.

11 REPLIES 11

zachbr

When anyone calls I don't get it

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@zachbr   Is it only your mother's calls that go to someone else?   The same thing happens when your friend calls?

zachbr

I appreciate the detailed response, thankfully the sim card matches mine so i dont think this is anything malicious or fradulent like sim jacking. Support is still taking its time and im not sure when it will be resolved but I hope soon

zachbr

i did confirm it matches

@zachbr - did you confirm your actual sim card number matches the one showing in your My Account?

zachbr

ported 3 months ago, and my original phone number shows up when i call my friend

HI @zachbr  you ported in just one month ago or many months?

if you make a call to a friend, what number is it showing on your friend's caller id?  Same number or different one?

zachbr

I changed to PM months ago, its been working this whole time and just randomly changed this week, as far as I know.

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@zachbr - my thoughts are either:

A-Public Mobile assigned your number to a new activation in ERROR. If so, submit a ticket to CS_Agent to report this.

B-Sim-jacked? If you can log into My Account check the SIM CARD # that shows under your profile and compare it to the one actually inside your phone. If they do not match, then it appears someone has been fraudulent (SIM-jacked) on your account. If this is the case - change passwords and security questions to your My Account account right away, and check your financials. EDIT, if sim numbers are different, see suggestions below...

1-While in My Account, list your phone into lost/stolen status

2-Let the Customer Support Agents (CSA) know about this as well, submit a ticket here – to be connected to the Fraud Management Customer Support Agent (CSA) team who will be able to restore your original SIM card. 

3-Also recommended to contact your financial institutions to ensure your banking and credit card accounts have not been accessed and checking your social media accounts for any suspicious activity. Make sure you change your passwords to these accounts immediately. 

4-You may also want to report the fraud to your local police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre at 1-888-495-8501, as well as contact the two national credit bureaus to request a copy of your credit reports and place a fraud warning on your file (Equifax Canada Toll free:1-800-465-7166 and TransUnion Canada Toll free: 1-877-525-3823).

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

@zachbr 

this is weird,  we heard about Telus gave the number ot another new account, but the old one would still get inbound calls instead of the old one

Reboot your phone first, test inbound calls ago.  if your phone still rings, then it would be just a one time hiccup

if not, then submit ticket with CS agent:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@zachbr 

you were using the same number with PM for the last 2 years? or you joined PM not long ago and requested porting your old number into PM?

So, did you test yourself? Call your number from another phone, does yours ring?

if not, please do two things:

1. login to My Account using Incognito mode and go to Profile page, check the phone number there, is that the correct one?  (For the 2FA code, On the screen it is expecting you to enter the code, click Didn't get the code? or  Resend code and then choose Send email)
  2. open ticket with PM support and ask them to investigate
    **Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there
Need Help? Let's chat.