cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My phone has been hacked

Clay64
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Someone was able to activate my sim card, thereby deactivating my phone. All of my banking information, all of my validation codes, they are draining my bank accounts. I need help. I can't set up a new community profile because they have my email address as well. I set up a new community alias Clay64, but that is not tied to my account. I need someone to contact me somehow. My home phone number is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

15 REPLIES 15

Clay64

All I can do is share this info so that others can protect themselves.  $15,000.00 is a lot of money to lose.  And becase there is no one to actually speak to at PM, there is no way to get someone at PM to provide you the requisit documentation that your bank needs to verify the hack and reimburse you.  Having 1st hand experience on how difficult it is to recover your bank account - I can tell you, it is f**king hard.

we will wait for your update then.  If that is one, it will be a story in the media without you reaching out to them 🙂

Clay64

The Canadian Fraud agency is working with the Police and are looking into an "internal" hack.

but they need to get the 2FA first before they can access the account to change sim

so, it is more likely they got hacked into your email address, then tried access PM account with 2FA sent to email

Clay64

One they had changed my SIM number, they had access to all texts including verification codes.  They also had access to my email on my phone.  Once they changed the SIM card it was all over.  The only way I stopped them from draining my entire bank account was to go online with my bank and change my PSWD, repeatedly.. That locked down my bank.

from what I understand, PM already have a 2FA system for login to My Account.  So, did you get a text or email around the time?

the leak could be via email from what I see.  But hackers are smart, who know what they did

Clay64

I would agree with you except my pswd was 16 characters (upper lower case with numbers sand symbols). Even if I did have a weak pswd, there should be an immediate flag as soon as someone tries to change out a SIM card. ie - Suspend the account until PM can confirm; and not through mesaaging - through an authentication app or land line associated with account.

i don't disagree with you

but 3/4 of the sim fraud was not a problem with the carrier but a problem with the users themselves, they didn't protect the phone/account enough.  Usually those sim fraud because no device pin, weak password,  same password  across multiple sites, identity was stolen by family members or close friends, etc.

Police won't do much as there are at least 100 cases a day.  Similarly, media won't be interested in this story

Good Luck

@Clay64  I don’t disagree with you , and I think you should to . I’m sorry to hear your going thru this it’s terrible best of luck 🤞 

Clay64

Doesn't matter -the people who respond can't/won't do anything.  I have reported to both the police and Canadian anti-fraud dept, I am going to the media.

@Clay64 

that's indeed awful...we can only sympathize as we're just PM customers like you are. Please keep us informed as your case progresses. Hope you get your $$ returned.

@Clay64  Here’s how to contact them 

send  a  private message   To CS_Agent

⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️ Link below ⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️⬇️

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Clay64

My Public Mobile account was hacked on 5 Oct and my SIM was changed.

On Saturday 5 Oct 2024, my Public Mobile account (Account # xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx) was hacked. The cell phone number associated with this account is xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

This security breach cost me over $15,000.00 - the hackers accessed my bank through my phone (including verification texts) and drained my money. 

Someone accessed my Public Mobile account and changed my original SIM card number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (that was physically installed on my phone since 07 Nov 2020) to xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, WITHOUT MY AUTHORIZATION.

SIM card number xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx is MY ORIGINAL CARD NUMBER!

My account was compromised and I have been locked out.  I cannot change Self-Serve password and security question, and I have suspended service.

I have been unable to contact anyone at PM since this happened - only messaging service.

This is now a criminal investigation that has been reported to the police and the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

This is a serious breach of security that occurred on the Public mobile system

I have emailed privacy@publicmobile.ca - no response other than an auto generated response

I have called the number in the auto-generated reponse - "If you wish to speak with someone sooner, please contact us toll free at 1-855-220-2400, Monday to Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. (MST/EST)"

NO REPONSE - I WAS PLACED ON HOLD 4 TIMES FOR OVER AN HOUR AND THEN DISCONNECTED

This is completely unacceptable - I am demanding that someone contact me to discuss this,

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

hi @Clay64 

either change your email password or get a new password 

contact all yoir banks and cards and report the issue

contact PM to report Lost/Stolen and suspend the service for now 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

@Clay64 wrote:

Someone was able to activate my sim card, thereby deactivating my phone. All of my banking information, all of my validation codes, they are draining my bank accounts. I need help. I can't set up a new community profile because they have my email address as well. I set up a new community alias Clay64, but that is not tied to my account. I need someone to contact me somehow. My home phone number is XXX-XXX-XXXX

First and foremost, these are NOT private forums. Your phone number has now been made public. Please remove it.

To submit a ticket with CS Agent using this direct link by sending a private message

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Need Help? Let's chat.