cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My card is lost in mail and someone took it, how can I get it back

ab2004
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Long story short, bought a sim card online as pre-activated .  Now the sim was lost and someone took it. To make it worse, he register a self serve account already with an unknown e-mail. 

I have all the documents to prove it's mine. How can I get it back? Thanks. 

I'm trying to sending the moderator to see if they can I help, No idea if they can. 

37 REPLIES 37

@ab2004 

If your support ticket has not been closed you should ask for a review link. I always remain polite with every interaction I have with moderators ( good or bad) and ask for a review link so I can provide feedback or suggestions on how to improve their customer support. Your issue beng quite uncommon could use some improvement on pm's part so your feedback to pm ( not the moderator themselves) is vital in giving pm the opportunity to improve and/or develope a policy to deal with it.

ab2004

@sheytoon , use your post code search, find a retailer.  Most small retailers will do it if you agree pay with e-transfer.  You can do number porting after sim arrived.  

If sim was lost, no self serve account , and the person who took it take advantage on it.  Read me original post 😌

ab2004

@darlicious , public mobile moderator changed email for me.  I totally lost control on self serve account. I proved I'm the person who paid with all payment details including original payment voucher number number , the last 3 called and received numbers.  

It's resolved but it really a example why PUblic mobile need a more efficient procedure to recover customer info.  Now they count on selfserve account setup info only, and ask customer contact police to recover account info. How smart they are !!!

@sheytoon 

There was a bit of misinformation in the beginning.....the sim card was activated in store and lost/stolen on the way home along with the phone. This allowed for additional info to be gleaned from the phone. ( I assume.)

I have done an activation with CCS and would much prefer to activate after recieving the sim card in the mail but it is nearly impossible unless you prepay for a bundle and sit on it waiting for a pm promo to stack with it. Otherwise they deleted all emails that contained sensitive info upon request. They did not register a credit card on the account. They ship via Canada Post which is trustworthy and pretty secure as long as your mail box is secure.

The biggest risk is how they choose your pin# if it is "lost" in transit. Upon reciept of the sim card and setting up of the self serve I had the pin # changed and changed the password and security question/answer. The email was changed after the free month credit was recieved.

My only question for the OP or PM is how do you set up the self serve with a different email than the one you activated the sim card with?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@sheytoon : canadiancellsupplies will pre-activate.

Before I learned some more things about the cell business, I don't think that's something I would have done. But others aren't as concerned. Now (before this thread), I definitely wouldn't.

@ab2004 For everyone else's benefit, would you mind explaining how a SIM was pre activated before it was shipped to you? Which retailer offers this option, and what information did you provide them?

@ab2004 

I'm very happy its been resolved. If you are ever not happy with the customer support you are recieving seek a second opinion by opening a new ticket.

@Anonymous wrote:

After an account has already been opened, as in the case here, activation assistance cannot help customers. Online activation assistance is staffed by sales staff and they do not have access to Public Mobile accounts.

ab2004

Other moderator involved and everything is done in 2 e-mails. First e-mail address change and 2nd is password reset. That's all. 

Problem resolved. Thanks very much for all your help. Appreciated. it. 

@ab2004 

PMed you the info. This guy is ridiculous , ask police to help me to get the self serve account back? Is he serious? Say something as a moderator ?

because you don't understand the severity of the situation...

you're acting like the theif has nothing on you, but in fact they probably know everything about you now and the more time you waste on here thinking mods can help you they are making fake accounts under your name. and I'm not just talking about public mobile accounts. maybe bank accounts, PayPal accounts etc.

you need to understand you're in big trouble and you need to google the steps how to protect your identity

@ab2004 

That is a senior moderator I am trying to wrap my head around his advice....what are the police going to do? Laugh? I mean I am laughing at the ridiculousness of that advice....what are they going to do even if they caught the thief? Torture the email out of them? Geez.....open a new ticket and start over is the best advice I can give at the moment.

ab2004

PMed you the info. This guy is ridiculous , ask police to help me to get the self serve account back? Is he serious? Say something as a moderator ?

@JK8 

There are one or two senior moderators that are working today that I saw online earlier today but all but one currently online are rather new....and the one is well...meh!

@ab2004 

Send a message to Melinda but yoh will not get an answer until at least Monday when she is back in the office. 

What is the moderator's name that you are dealing with? So we can determine if it is a new moderator or not. You can ask them to escalate the issue and/or open a new ticket with a new moderator.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@ab2004 

Try to message a Public Mobile Manager, Melinda_H for some assistance. Maybe someone like @darlicious can suggest another moderator to private message to get this resolved.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/114724

ab2004

Now the moderator behave like: Go ahead to report to police, only police can help you to catch the thief, though the onlything lost if the self servce account. I can't help you because you don't know the thief's e-mail, and you don't know his last login time neither.

Should I know this?

Is all the purchase info (receipt, number, voucher code I used with original receipt, number I called , which retailer I used to buy) is not as important as a self serve account ? It's really ridiculous now. 

Someone PMed me a complain link and that's the last choice if PM (Telus) keep behaving like this:

https://www.ccts-cprst.ca/for-consumers/complaints/

ab2004

well, he can use ANY e-mail.  and he had the sim once up atime. 

Now I get sim card back but I don't have a way to register self serve account (already registered).

@ab2004 

This is what I am trying to figure out.....to register for self serve you need the phone number and the sim card to recieve the 6 digit code to register and the original email the sim was activated with. How did the thief know your email? Why don't you know the email the sim card was activated with? That is what I am struggling to understand.

ab2004

@darlicious wrote:

@ab2004 

You will have to explain that to the moderator. Do you have an email address for the account to be changed to? Or create a brand new one to be used only for your pm account. I would also ask about getting the account number changed. Did you ever recieve a welcome email from pm? If not then it was sent to the thief when they created the self serve account. This is a security risk for your account because the welcome email includes the account number.

Only thing the thief in hand is the self serve account e-mail and password. I have a working sim card, and I have all the original purchase info (my voucher, original info I put there, sim card number ...).

As the example I said, PM has no procedure to protection if someone lost the sim card, and the sim card IS NOT registered with self serve. Customer will lose all control on this sim card, same as I was now. 

@ab2004 

You will have to explain that to the moderator. Do you have an email address for the account to be changed to? Or create a brand new one to be used only for your pm account. I would also ask about getting the account number changed. Did you ever recieve a welcome email from pm? If not then it was sent to the thief when they created the self serve account. This is a security risk for your account because the welcome email includes the account number.

ab2004

No still same account. new sim . Now only thing left is I can't register a new self serve account, because the thief did it already. 

Sorry I'm wrong, thief didn't change sim card.  my "new" sim still working , maybe I'm inside a bad signal (inside a metal building).Now my sim is working.

Only thing left is I need my own self serve account. moderator keep asking me the thief's e-mail and last time he login. HOW DO i know ? I never create that account !!!

@ab2004 

So the moderators have activated a new account for you? Did you have to pay for a new month of service? I only ask because there are supposed to be checks and balances in place to prevent sim jacking which is basically what has happened here...but not in the usual manner which would be to access your financials rather get a free account and use a stolen phone.

Since you still have an account and phone number with your old provider that your stolen phone is registered to you can call them and have your phone blacklisted.

I would also ask the moderators how the thief was able to change the sim card and pin code without access to the info ( account verifiers) that are not visible in the self serve account. This is an error on pm's part. You are responsible for the loss of the sim card. Pm should be responsible for the loss of a months service. I would ask for a one month credit in your account.

ab2004

@darlicious wrote:

@ab2004 

Now you have a point to be made. In order for a pin code and a sim card change to be made there are certain account verifying questions that are asked of the customer that are not available to view from within the account. However one of them has been removed since the installation of the new activation portal.....that is the date of birth. However the other main verifier not visible is the credit card expiry date. Did the loss of the phone and sim card include the loss of the credit card?

Just the sim card and 1 month service. That's all I lost. Old number is not ported. 

Paid with voucher (with original receipt), now waiting PM moderator to be the judge. 

It's really annoying no protection without a self serve account. 

@ab2004 

Now you have a point to be made. In order for a pin code and a sim card change to be made there are certain account verifying questions that are asked of the customer that are not available to view from within the account. However one of them has been removed since the installation of the new activation portal.....that is the date of birth. However the other main verifier not visible is the credit card expiry date. Did the loss of the phone and sim card include the loss of the credit card?

ab2004

New update. The thief login to self serve account and changed both sim card, and pin code, Now lost access to the whole thing.  

@Public Mobile, you need a better structure to handle this !!!!

No way you can protect your customer in this situation !!!

@ab2004 

I suppose its a matter of opinion.....Its just over an hour since you first posted your question. You are already in contact with the moderators, they have verified that you are the account holder despite not knowing the email address and have located either the orginal account or have activated a brand new one for you. They have not charged you anything extra or created a bunch of hoops for you to jump thru and all this without the ability to pick up a phone and call for customer service. 

I doubt it would be any easier to fix your issue if you picked up the phone and called another provider and after waiting a minimum of 45 minutes on the phone and explained the situation how much longer it would take and what you would have to do to recover the account. Just saying....

ab2004

@darlicious wrote:

@ab2004 

I think your situation is the same with any provider. But you are getting sorted....Welcome to public mobile!

NOT yet. In the middle to waiting new e-mail and password change from moderator. 

ab2004

Here is a scenario. One old lady got a prepaid SIM from retail store. She has no idea how to do self serve, and she lost his phone, as well as sim card in bus.

Someone took it and enjoy it, add a self serve account.  This poor lady has no way to get sim card. Only thing she can do is change her credit card to difference number so the thief can't use this card for free.

ANY other company can handle it easily, not Public Mobile. I'm still in the middle of handling it, I'll update after I get it resolved. 

@ab2004 

I think your situation is the same with any provider. But you are getting sorted....Welcome to public mobile!

ab2004

Well,  I don't think it's the fault of anybody. I only say Public Mobile has no infrastructure to handle sim loss.  If I lost sim and didn't register the account. I'll be totally xxxxed. 

I have replied all details PM moderator asked , except the old e-mail, which I don't know.  I do have the original payment receipt (the coucher code receipt I used to activate it). 

Need Help? Let's chat.