cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moving to another province. Need an update on taxes on my bill please

Thearth99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello,

I recently moved to Calgary. My phone number was registered while i was living in Winnipeg. I really need help to update my location so my bill will be updated with only 1 tax. That is a bit of saving for sure.

Thank you so much 

9 REPLIES 9

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

And, I can't say for sure if this whole "buy a voucher to avoid the taxes" thing works because I've never experience it. This is only an opinion and would require a CS Agent to confirm my thoughts.

You go purchase a voucher, you pay the Alberta only tax on it. When your invoice comes up to be paid, you are charged the monthly fee and the MB taxes either way. This is only logical. 

To bad you don't know how a voucher work.  If you now, you will then say the  whole "buy a voucher to avoid the taxes" thing works FOR SURE

Let me explain and free up CS agent's time for other real questions, more pressing issues

let say you have a $50 plan.  You buy a $50 voucher from an Alberta store and you got charged 5% GST.  You paid them $52.5

When you load the voucher onto My Account, it would show up on Available funds as a $50 credit

When renewal time comes, PM will deduct the $50 for renewal, NO MB tax will be added.   On PM system, tax will only be charged on the amount they got from credit card.

No worries, I know the above explanation helps.  You are welcome

@hTideGnow wrote:

HI @Thearth99 

no, you won't get your tax back at the end of the year no matter which accountant you talk to

but you can still save the tax with a bit more work.  Just get vouchers from local store.  There, you will get charge local tax with is much lower.  You can then load your vouchers ahead of renewal using *611.  Yes, more work but you save the tax 

It's unfortunate that people don't know how Canadian taxes work.

Here you go @Thearth99   https://www.gov.mb.ca/finance/taxation/pubs/taxforms/refundgeneral.pdf

And, I can't say for sure if this whole "buy a voucher to avoid the taxes" thing works because I've never experience it. This is only an opinion and would require a CS Agent to confirm my thoughts.

You go purchase a voucher, you pay the Alberta only tax on it. When your invoice comes up to be paid, you are charged the monthly fee and the MB taxes either way. This is only logical. 

HI @Thearth99 

no, you won't get your tax back at the end of the year no matter which accountant you talk to

but you can still save the tax with a bit more work.  Just get vouchers from local store.  There, you will get charge local tax with is much lower.  You can then load your vouchers ahead of renewal using *611.  Yes, more work but you save the tax 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the way around this was to pay using vouchers purchased locally which are therefore taxed at the local tax rate.

Handy1
Mayor / Maire

@Thearth99  a trick for  you can would be to buy payment vouchers in Calgary paying Calgary tax rate . And load it *611 to make payment and keep your Winnipeg phone number . Best of both worlds 

@Thearth99 wrote:

- Oh no. I just really like my phone number. Nothing can be done for this, right? I have been using this phone number for almost 10 years. 

Sadly no. Taxes are charged with the area code you use, not where you live. You MAY be able to claim taxes paid at the end of each year but you'd have to download your invoice every time. Talk to the tax folks about that.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@Thearth99 

You will have to pick a Calgary area code and new number if you want Alberta tax.

You can pick up to 4 numbers/month. Just login to the PM app then to Account tab>Change Phone Number.

IMG_0213.png

Otherwise, if you want to keep your old number…you will have to pay Manitoba taxes.

Thearth99
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

- Oh no. I just really like my phone number. Nothing can be done for this, right? I have been using this phone number for almost 10 years. 

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hey @Thearth99 

Your "taxes" you are charged on your bill go by the area code you use, not your address. This means if you have a Winnipeg phone number, you will have to change it to a Calgary number. So if you want to keep your Winnipeg number, you must pay the proper taxes. If you want to only pay the one tax, well, Calgary number it is. 

No other way.

Need Help? Let's chat.