cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Moved to alberta

Ravidalal
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello guys,

i moved from Ontario to Alberta 2 years ago. Because it was auto pay, I didn’t notice much and keep using my Ontario number. I did change my address to alberta address 2 years ago into my public mobile account. I noticed today that i’m paying 16% hst on my bill still from last 2 years even though alberta have only 5%. Public mobile agent is not ready to give me reimburse for what i paid extra and they not even changing it to gst now even though i’m ready to give them proof of address. At this point, what should i do because i’m not getting any benefits if my rewards which i collected during this loyalty. I pay same amount extra in hst. It’s better to leave public mobile and switch to any other carrier if i can’t get any benefits from it. Anyone else have same issues? @CS_Agent 

12 REPLIES 12

@Ravidalal wrote:

How could Buying a voucher will help. The total which they give me to pay every 30 days is including hst. So the amount due will already have tax included rite?

HI @Ravidalal 

no, the amount you see on your My Account is pre-tax amount.

So, if it says you owed $30, if charged by credit card, PM will charges $30 + 13% tax (Ontario tax rate)

But if you buy vouchers, you will get a $30 voucher and store will charge you $30 + 5% GST , when you load the voucher into your account, it will add $30 to your account.  Then your $30 on My Account will then be used to pay for $30 amount due

In other word, you save 7% if you buy voucher from Alberta stores

Buying a voucher pays taxes at point of sale. That screen you're seeing is thinking of autopay with your phone number.

Ravidalal

How could Buying a voucher will help. The total which they give me to pay every 30 days is including hst. So the amount due will already have tax included rite?

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Ravidalal 

even though you've changed address to an Alberta address a couple of years ago, you won't get any refund. As everyone here has suggested, your tax rate is based on your phone number. ...not the address on your account.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

Did you mean to say 13% tax?  No province is 16%.

hi @Ravidalal 

if you have been using the Ontario phone number now without issue, why not just use voucher? it is a way to save money (tax) and no need to change phone number

but if you like to change number, login to My Account, Profile, click the pencil beside your phone number and you can then select AB as the province and choose new phone number.    And no worries, your will have the same account, same loyalty benefits, just phone number change and you saving money

@Ravidalal 

Go to your profile, there you will see options to change your number under your "My Number" section.  You will be given the option to select from a group of numbers.

Changing your number does nothing to affect rewards or other benefits.

Except, in your case, changing it to an Alberta number will save tax.

Ravidalal

How can i change my number into my account. Will it cancel my account and all its loyalty benefits?

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Ravidalal 

PM charges tax based on the area code of your phone number, not your address on profile

To save tax, you can 

1. change your phone number to one with AB area code
  2. buy voucher from local stores, they will charge you only GST and you can then load the voucher using *611

Meow
Mayor / Maire

Your address does not matter to PM. You pay taxes based on your AREA code so if you want to save few $$$ you will have to change your number.

JRod
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Ravidalal 

The taxes you pay on your bill are based on the area code of the number you have and not the billing address unfortuantely. As long as you have an Ontario number you will always pay the extra taxes. 

You can go in your profile and change to an Alberta number to only be charged the 5%. But that depends if giving up your existing number is worth it to you. Also paying with vouchers purchased in Alberta will prevent you from paying extra taxes also. 

Need Help? Let's chat.