cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile data not working normally for some apps and websites. using a VPN fixes it

Sout
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi. For the last 3 days my mobile internet has been working in a really strange way. Messaging apps like Telegram and Whatsapp takes a long time to receive or send messages(especially media like photos and audios). Also some websites can't load at all, but others work normally. I have been trying to narrow down the problem until I realized that turning my VPN on would totally fix the problem! I tried to reset network setting, reboot phone, turn air plane mode on and off, and checked the APN settings and nothing worked. WIFI works normally though. My wife is having the same problem on her Google Pixel 7 and I have a Samsung S22. Is there a problem with Public Mobile's network or is it something on our end?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7

Sout

I did not have to try the 3g because it came back to work know. But if it happens again  I will do that. Thank you!

HI @Sout 

did 3G or WCDMA only help?  and some people said 4G and 5G start working again.  Please reboot phone and try again

for Telus status update, best to check here:
https://telus.com/en/bc/outages

it usually has accurate update with BC and AB, not very well with Ontario or the Eastern provinces

But come here , the PM Community, you will see announcement by PM as well as issues reported by the fellows customers

Sout

It was working good this morning but in the afternoon it started to show problems again. I just don't understand why using a VPN fixed it for me. I will try setting to 3G to see if it helps. Thanks!

Sout

Yes I'm in Vancouver. Is there a place in the website or app that i can check the status the service? Or maybe a blog from public mobile that they post about stuff like maintenance or service updates?

HI @JazzyB 

changing to 3G only (or WCDMA Only) should help a bit, data should work just at a slower speed.  The speed would be around 15Mbps, better than nothing

but many confirmed that 4G or 5G has came back.  Please try to reboot your phone and Reset All networks

JazzyB

I am having the same issue.  Changing to 3G wasn’t very helpful.  When will this be fixed? It’s been going on for 2-3 days now.

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Sout 

are you in Vancouver, BC?  there is current some data issue there.

A quick workaround is to set the network mode to 3G only or WCDMA only. 

Need Help? Let's chat.