cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Hotspot

seandtherrien
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Two questions here

1. Does the mobile hotspot feature work with the plans available?

2. Can I use it to replace a wi-fi plan for my home or will it be too slow?

10 REPLIES 10

@JK8 wrote:

@seandtherrien 

Do you mind removing the solution given to me and giving it to Dunkman. His post answered your original questions. TIA

Impressive, @JK8 .    Kudos to you - I've always wondered if the Oracles might/should review selected solutions to ensure they really are the best solutions to the question being posed.

I think @Dunkman might agree that sometimes a poster's initial question evolves to be something quite different than their initial question, and that subsequent reply gets accepted.  That seems to be what happened here.    

Heck, for that matter, on the really loooong threads sometimes the correct and best answer was given early on but the OP selects a more recent reply which may entirely repeat an earlier 'best' reply.

C'est la vie!!!

mm80
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@stevenanto wrote:

I would honestly look into a home internet company as you will burn right through your mobile data if using it as hotspot a home, especially if using to stream shows and movies. 

there are a bunch of smaller companies like ebox, oxio, primus that offer pretty good packages and kind of work like PM with their referral programs. 

Which area do you live in?

I don't know where this person is but there's places that don't have home broadband available and mobile data and dial up is the only option. In those places, mobile networks might get built faster than wired infrastructure.

stevenanto
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

I would honestly look into a home internet company as you will burn right through your mobile data if using it as hotspot a home, especially if using to stream shows and movies. 

there are a bunch of smaller companies like ebox, oxio, primus that offer pretty good packages and kind of work like PM with their referral programs. 

Which area do you live in?

@seandtherrien 

To clarify:

4G LTE data is throttled to 3G speeds or a consistent 3mbps.

or

3G data can reach speeds up to 20mbps but you are more likely to have max speeeds of 12mbps depending on network traffic, signal strength etc....thus its speed can be variable and unreliable especially depending on the time of day.

@JK8 

Do you mind removing the solution given to me and giving it to Dunkman. His post answered your original questions. TIA

Thanks for the message.  Not a big deal.  😀

@seandtherrien 

@seandtherrien wrote:

Capped speeds? Do you have an estimate of its speed?

1. Plans with 3G data may reach download speeds of up to 3 Mbps, with the coverage and reliability of the LTE network. Speed and signal strength may vary with your device, configuration, Internet traffic, environmental conditions, applicable network management and other factors. For a description of Public Mobile’s network management practices, please see here.

seandtherrien
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Capped speeds? Do you have an estimate of its speed?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@seandtherrien wrote:

Two questions here

Yes, you can use mobile data as hotspot.  But it will be very expensive.  You pay $50 for 8.5GB data at PM.  $50 can buy a lot of data from a home internet provider and is faster.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@seandtherrien wrote:

Two questions here

1. Yes, PM support hotspot feature

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/mobile-hotspot

2.  Technically yes, but probably would not recommend personally.  Limited to max 8GB per month, capped speeds.  

Need Help? Let's chat.