cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS stopped working

charanth1822
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

In the last couple of days both my wife and I have stopped being able to receive/send mms messages, while getting an notification error every little bit at random intervals. We are both with Public Mobile using different phones. We didn't change any settings. We've checked for updates & tried different apps to get the messages, these have not worked. Yes we've repowered the phones as well.

27 REPLIES 27

CrackerJacc

Glad it worked for you.  I'm running a ten year old Samsung phone running LineageOS 14.1 (Android 7.1) so the old stuff does work..... for now.

@CrackerJacc wrote:

I just finished fixing issues with MMS and I thought I'd mention that the APN name is case sensitive!  Make sure the APN name is all caps like below.

Holy cow - you are amazing for pointing out that observation! I just updated my manual APN to be UPPERCASE "SP.MB.COM" - and it has miraculously restored MMS functionality on my BlackBerry KeyOne running Android 8.1 that I've been messing with trying to get MMS working for months!

Amazing... My 6 year old phone has yet another breath of life lol.  Now to try this on my daughters Google Nexus 5 running an even older version of android...

CrackerJacc

I just finished fixing issues with MMS and I thought I'd mention that the APN name is case sensitive!  Make sure the APN name is all caps like below.

flash67

Did you ever get the Key2 working?

charanth1822

Update:

charanth1822_0-1707786355508.png

Support has nicely told me that Public Mobile doesn't want our business anymore. Thanks for the warning PM, after being with you for nearly 10 years I guess this is goodbye. Despite having phones that are only a few years old. (my wife's phone came out in 2021)

charanth1822

Same my phone was bought new only a couple years ago.
Mine is a 2020 model, i don't have a thousand bucks x 2 (wife and me) lying around to get a new phone when this one worked just fine until Telus arbitrarily made this change.

charanth1822

Where is this originally posted? 

I'm really not happy about this.

charanth1822

I've been from NW Calgary to SE Calgary to Okotoks to High River... doesn't work.

Internet is unaffected.

Fenixx
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

My wife and I have the same issue although MMS recently worked for us. On my wife's phone, I tried reset APN using the new setting (MMS port: 8799 instead of 80) and reboot phone. It helped.

Cannot fix it on my Ulofone as I cannot change APN on it.

jimdh

I can't receive MMS messages. There is always a message that says I have network errors. I wish this service would work as Public is the cheapest service going.

Clarence62

I am running Android 9 all up to date. Only bought this thing a year or two ago😬. Thank you all for your help

Ageng

Re: MMS Text Issue
Thanks so much for the update.

As of February 7, 2024, TELUS will start turning down the legacy MMS proxy servers which handle MMS traffic coming from legacy devices. Legacy MMS servers have reached end of life with no vendor support.

The turndown will impact customers with legacy devices across all brands (Telus brands) including Public Mobile.

To avoid MMS service interruption, impacted customers with legacy devices are required to take specific action depending on the device they have:

Update APN settings

Name: Public Mobile
APN: sp.mb.com
MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMS port: 8799
MCC: 302
MNC: 220
Once APN is created, clients will have to restart the device and test.

Update device software

Android software update:

Go into Settings > System > System Updates and update to the latest version of Android available.

If previous workaround steps do not work to make MSS normally working the device upgrade will be recommended as follows>>

Device upgrade

Public Mobile customers have been directed to Mobile Klinik stores to purchase a device

Best Regards
Mario
Customer Support Agent

Ageng

Are you able to upgrade the Android OS?  My problem is my wife's old CrackBerry is stuck on an old flavour of Android 8.1.  Looks like the Ulefone is a little newer and hopefully they've posted an Android OS update that will resolve its compatibility issue with Public Mobile.  I did try swapping my Telus SIM card from another phone to my Wife's CrackBerry and the Public Mobile SIM card into my IPHONE and Voila!  MMS texting started working between the two phones!  I guess one option is to jump ship and go with a different carrier.  Appears Public Moibility has configured its MMS Service recently in such a way that this is about my only option at this point.

Clarence62

It's an Ulefone Armor 6E

Ageng

What's your phone model?  I've been told my wife's BlackBerry Key2 is end of life and Public Mobile's recent tweak of MMS service has rendered it just about useless for texting.

Ageng

Can you click on Public Mobile and edit any of its settings manually otherwise click "Reset to default" as someone is this thread had to do this before being able to edit or add a new APN.

Clarence62

Screenshot_20240210-124342.png

I don't have the option to add APN

Ageng

Check out Public Mobile page for details about APN changes:

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

@Clarence62 wrote:

I'm the same as Charanth1822. Tried everything under the sun. Yes data is on. APN settings are greyed out. Unable to edit.

Even though the default/automatically created APN is greyed out and cannot be edited, you should still be able to create a new/additional APN. Look for the drop down menu in the top right corner of the APN screen for the option to add another with the updated settings.

Clarence62

I'm the same as Charanth1822. Tried everything under the sun. Yes data is on. APN settings are greyed out. Unable to edit.

iamthird

I found this info in another post, and just changed the APN settings (after first reseting them to default) and now my issue is solved.

Here's the info:

Also, you can make a manual update, here are the old and new settings

Old settings:

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: 74.49.0.18
MMS port: 80
MNC: 220
APN Type: default,supl,mms
                             or        default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

New Settings:

MMSC: http://aliasredirect.net/proxy/mb/mmsc
MMSC proxy: mmscproxy.mobility.ca
MMS port: 8799
MNC: 220
APN Type: default,supl,mms
                             or             default,mms,agps,supl,fota,hipri

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@charanth1822 , there has been a recent update to the MMS server settings and APNs on phones can be out of date which affects MMS usage.  Please check and edit/create new phone APN settings using this help article.  Please also add in the APN type field, default,supl,mms.  If creating a new APN, please select it as the active APN.  Reboot phone.  If mobile data is not affected, there is no local network issue.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

iamthird

Doesn't matter where I am. I've been downtown Edmonton and east side of Sherwood Park, no difference.

iamthird

I am experiencing the same issue (since Wednesday Feb 7).

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@charanth1822 

could it be a local network issue ? If you go to a different part of town, do you get same results ?

charanth1822

yes, and we haven't used all of it up either.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@charanth1822 

do you have Data turned On in settings ?

Need Help? Let's chat.