cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS stopped working

CalvinW
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

Like so many others, my MMS just stopped working all of a sudden. Changing the APN settings and contacting CS agents did nothing to fix the issue. I have the OnePlus 7 Pro, and it's a 2019 phone. Dropping support for a 2019 is ridiculous...

39 REPLIES 39

CMason1985
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hi CalvinW,

I have the new OnePlus 12 and have the same issue you have.  I have been playing around with the settings and got it to work.  I checked with a family member who has the 8T with the same issue and this made it work for them too.  I'm not sure what exactly made it work again but here are the steps...

1. In the mobile settings for you SIM slot for PM, just before you go to the APN select, make sure your SIM phone number has a "+" in front of your phone number.  Not sure how important this part is, but I'm recreating what I did to make it work.

2. Go into the APN selection screen and it the 3 dots in the top right corner and hit reset access points.  Then go into your APN and confirm that the details are correct as stated in PMs updated details.

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/bc/get-help/articles/set-up-data-on-an-android-phone

3. Reboot or just turn on airplane mode and off again.

Seems to work again for me.

Hope this helps.

hi @Phil_Adelphus I don't think that MMS compatibility list means anything.  MMS is just a basic service that will work ask long as the phone is compatible. Right now the issue is just about older models phone as legacy MMS server retiring.  If MMS really only works on phones on that list and no more, I think Telus would loss a quarter of the subscribers.  The list is pretty much just a recommendation for bigger brands for easy support

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@CalvinW  PM doesn't list any One Plus in their MMS compatible list

https://www.publicmobile.ca/en/on/get-help/articles/picture-messaging-updates 

Having said that, there are complaints on other carrier forums about that particular phone not getting MMS including on the OnePlus community.  Interestingly one person fixed it by enabling "auto download MMS while roaming".   I seem to recall someone else doing that here in the Public Mobile community but I don't remember if it was the exact same problem.  Might be worth a try.

hi @CalvinW for some reason, OnePlus phone got hit hard with this MMS server issue.  If you decide to move carrier, and considering Telus or Koodo, make sure you test a sim from a friend first

Admittedly so, @CalvinW , they have an obligation to determine whether it's a device-related issue or a system issue.

I believe it does have to do with their changes.

And if that's the case, and they do not have a workaround for you, I can certainly understand you wanting to jump ship.

CalvinW

I saw that announcement. Didn't think it would apply to a 2019 phone. I'm contacting another CS agent right now. If MMS still doesn't work, I'm just gonna switch from this questionable network. Don't want to get a new phone and watch Public drop support again. Going to be a vicious cycle... 

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@CalvinW 

Read over this announcement - I'm shocked this might be the cause of your issue.   Firmly request that the customer support agents find out if it is.

I'd be furious with a 2019 device, if it is.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Announcements/Picture-and-Group-Messaging-End-Date-Fe...

CalvinW

Yeah I tried everything. Unfortunately it refuses to work. I tried my sister's SIM card who's with Freedom Mobile on my phone and MMS works fine. No idea what's going on with Public Mobile...

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

That IS ridiculous @CalvinW 

Try resetting network connections and removing and reinserting your SIM card to see if that may enable MMS.

Also, I presume your data switch is toggled ON.

Try the SIM card in another device to see if MMS works.   Then, try another person's SIM in YOUR device to see if MMS works.

At that point, the customer support agents must remedy this issue for you.

Need Help? Let's chat.