cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Stopped Working -- Data working, APN updated

Ryence01
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello all, 

I have an older android Essential Phone PH-1 and last week MMS stopped working suddenly.   My mobile data is on and continues to work fine, but the phone cannot send or receive MMS messages.   

I have followed the instructions here to add a new APN with updated settings as follows:

No change after doing so.   MMS still doesnt work, but otherwise mobile data still works.   

I have also tried clearing Textra's app cache and switching to Google Messages without success.

I tried swapping my sim into an iphone I had available and everything worked normally in that phone.  

Thanks for any suggestions. 

12 REPLIES 12

@Ryence01 wrote:

I did open a case with CS_Agent and it was escalated to a technician with Public Mobile.   Sounds like parts of the network have already been redirected to the new proxy address, which caused my phone to stop working.  From what the technician can see my Essential Phone PH-1 is not using the new APN I had created and instead is still using the original APN with the old proxy address despite the new one being selected.  I cant seem to edit or delete the original APN through the regular settings.  I might attempt some other means to make my Essential Phone use the new APN settings, but the issue is with the PH-1 itself. 

Correct APN settings should allow MMS to work, but only if your phone will actually use them! 

I am running a BlackBerry KeyOne running Android 8.1, and seem to be having similar issues as you... Updated APN settings entered in a new APN entry, but can't delete the old one. I also suspected it was just continuing to use the old settings APN profile that I can't delete.

I did find a workaround (for now) though - if I temporarly switch networks to WCDMA/HSPA instead of HSPA, MMS works fine. (I can test by sending pictures/stickers to myself...). Who knows if this will also fail to work in a few more weeks.

I did also try @RavingRaven's suggestion of temporarly swapping in an old Roam mobility SIM which I happenned to still have, and while the Public Mobile enforced APN entry disappears while that SIM is in the phone, it comes right back as soon as the PM SIM is re-inserted, so that doesn't help...

I know I really should get off this phone as it is indeed a 2017 model that I acquired in 2018, but other than this it still runs great and I was really trying to see how long I could go on this reliable workhorse!

RavingRaven
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@Ryence01 

What Android OS is your phone using? Oreo 8.0 or 8.1 could be an issue? Have you tried using a Freedom or Roam Sim card to populate the APN? It also might be possible that an agent can text a configuration file to your phone to set the APN?

@Ryence01 wrote:

Hello all,  

I did open a case with CS_Agent and it was escalated to a technician with Public Mobile.   Sounds like parts of the network have already been redirected to the new proxy address, which caused my phone to stop working.  From what the technician can see my Essential Phone PH-1 is not using the new APN I had created and instead is still using the original APN with the old proxy address despite the new one being selected.  I cant seem to edit or delete the original APN through the regular settings.  I might attempt some other means to make my Essential Phone use the new APN settings, but the issue is with the PH-1 itself. 

Correct APN settings should allow MMS to work, but only if your phone will actually use them! 

Thanks @computergeek541 @will13am@PhoneHome8932  & @hTideGnow for your responses!  Much appreciated! 

Strange that the phone continues to use the old APN despite setting up a new one and making it default.  I can't seem to find any resources online to deal with this.  I assume a reboot was applied after creating and selecting the new APN.  

Ryence01

Hello all,  

Thanks @computergeek541 @will13am@PhoneHome8932  & @hTideGnow for your responses!  Much appreciated! 

Ryence01

@will13am The new APN populated the APN Type as: default,mms,supl,hipri,fota,ims,cbs

@

@will13am wrote:

@Ryence01 wrote:

Thanks @will13am -- the new one is selected.  Oddly enough on the Essential Phone the default one cannot be edited or deleted.   

@Ryence01 , make sure to have default,supl,mms,hipri,fota in the APN type field.  

@Ryence01 

For the APN types, ensure that there are no spaces after the commas.

@Ryence01 wrote:

Thanks @will13am -- the new one is selected.  Oddly enough on the Essential Phone the default one cannot be edited or deleted.   

@Ryence01 , make sure to have default,supl,mms,hipri,fota in the APN type field.  

Ryence01

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Ryence01 , if you have multiple APNs on the phone, you need to select the active one.  Make sure the one you edited is the active APN.  

PhoneHome8932
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

You could try TextNow or Text+ apps to send photos with your texts via the internet on your Data or Wifi.

You could also try RCS chat in android latest Messages texting app. RCS could be replacing SMS & MMS texting.

RCS is sent over the internet on your Data or Wifi.

RCS should be on Apple phones this year too.

Moved:

hTideGnow
Mayor / Maire

HI @Ryence01 

yes, it looks correct to me.  

since it works on iPhone, it is a problem with your phone.  

With a Telus communication, phones older than 2017 might not work MMS anymore.  Your phone released on 2017, it might be the reason

Have CS agent to check, please submit a ticket with CS Agent here:
       https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

Telus page said phone before 2017 , but PM said phone from 2015 and earlier, so have CS agent to check

Need Help? Let's chat.