cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Messages Selective Delivery

JJY
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hi There,

I am a member of a volunteer fire department. We use an app that sends out alerts for emergencies via mms text messages. I have for years used this feature with no problems.  Recently, i was added to a distribution list for multiple fire departments, and was receiving alerts just fine. At one point in December, the messages stopped being delivered, began again briefly in January and have since stopped again.  We have tested our own app, as well as other departments apps but to no avail, my phone for whatever reason just will not send me the texts from this distribution list only, it originates from a list in GSuite, and the address and everything is right...  the fact that it used to work but has since stopped has thrown me for a loop....  All i can figure is that it is getting picked up by a spam filter, but it doesnt seem to be on my phone?  Anyone have an idea?   Thanks!

22 REPLIES 22

@JJY wrote:

@softech so today the issue was fixed. There was a spam filter not allowing some email2text...

@JJY You meant the spam filter on PM system side?

glad it is working now, btw, you are a "member of a volunteer fire departmen5", you are doing something good for the Community!! 👍

JJY

@softech so today the issue was fixed. There was a spam filter not allowing some email2text... An exception was added and it has been working.

Thank you for all your help, everyone definitely helped point me in the right direction. 

[of course CSA needed to adjust spam filter... Luddite]

pmva
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

So this is just a suggestion and is very kludgy; these sound very important so consider if you want this type of solution with multiple points of failure.  That's my disclaimer. :). You "could", put your email address (gmail?) in the DL.  Create a rule in email that when email comes from the sender that it sends to your sms address, email@msg.telus.com.  Would that work and include the ink that comes from the DL?  Just a thought and VERY kludgy.

JJY

@softech 

It appears the issue is completely limited to any message sent with the automated link sent via distribution list:. App->Email->Dist. list-> SMS address.

If I send a message without the link using the above method, it delivers. If I send a SMS to myself with the link included, it sends just fine.  

pmva

@softech wrote:

@JJY i guess when PM replies, ask them why the link casied the problem 

Another thing.  is that link too long?? maybe it exceeds sms limit??

Filtering of links can be done with email, does PM have the capability of doing SPAM detection with SMS?  If the URL link is too long or misdetected as malformed could it be filtering?  If it's doing this on a budget service, I'd be pleasantly surprised. 🙂

JJY

I have been chatting with them...  Trying to work through it. Im not sure about length, it seems to have worked fine previously... 

@JJY i guess when PM replies, ask them why the link casied the problem 

Another thing.  is that link too long?? maybe it exceeds sms limit??

JJY

I have checked, and it still won't get through trying a couple of those.. The owner of the distribution list obviously has it set to do this.. it automatically generates a unique link for every message. 

@JJY the Google  link could be spam filtered.   But I still wonder if it triggered an MMS message.   You might try to update to one of those MMS email address and tesr

JJY

After doing some testing, it seems as if the Google groups chat link at the bottom of the message is causing it to fail.    

JJY

My apologies, when it comes to cellular lingo, I'm not well versed.  The messages are all text only... The only difference with these messages is that there is a link embedded in them, but has never caused issues before? 

@JJY Oh, you were using email to text

With  #@msg.telus.com , this is a SMS domain.  You said MMS?  If that is MMS,  the domain you used was likely wrong.  Maybe that's why it worked before and  not now, if it the message was text only , it sent but if your group sending with pictures, it failed

For MMS, you need to try changing that to one of these, please test it out

MMS Doamin:
@mms.mb.telus.com
@mms.koodomobile.com
@mms.telusmobility.com

JJY

I have opened a ticket as per your suggestion.

I don't know much about short code to be honest. The distribution list is setup through GSuite, and uses the MMS address for my phone #@msg.telus.com 

I have setup my own list within my org and got it to work. Seems as if it is the specific list that has the issue. 

pmva

@JJY Do MMS text messages from other phones to your phone work?  Have you tried to reboot your phone?  Seems obvious but good place to start.

@JJY 

does it send via short code?  what is the exact short code #?

honest, if you have 2 phones and same issue, it is likely an account issue.   So, while you are checking with the different suggestions from us, open a ticket with PM support first 

1. Please open ticket via Chatbot (need access to My Account): At https://publicmobile.ca/chatbot.

Start by typing "Submit a ticket", then click "Contact Us", Then click "Other", then click "Click here to submit a ticket ↗" 

2. If you have trouble with Chatbot or you don't have access to My Account: Private message CS Agent at: 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

**Monitor your Community inbox (envelope icon on the top right) after the ticket is opened.  CS Agent will reply to you there

JJY

Hey there, i am the only person on the list that is having trouble to my knowledge. I believe i am the only person with PM though.  Latest software and LTE networks are confirmed. 

JJY

hey there, thanks for the idea. I created a list, and sent an email to it myself which worked, but then through the app it didnt go through...   

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

@JJY - the devices receiving these messages should have the latest software installed, as well as being connected to a LTE network in the network settings of the devices.

Can you check some of the phones that you know have not received the messages and ensure of these 2 factors?

@JJY does it send it via shortcode?  if so what is it? 

Anyonr on your DL has PM or Koodo or Telus??

pmva

@JJY can you test with yourself as the only member of a DL to see if it's the list that's the issue?

JJY

hey there,  it stopped working on my old phone which was a moto g7 plus. I now have a Pixel 7, and still the same issue.  MMS come through, just not from the one distribution list.

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@JJY what kind of phone do you have? make and model?

For MMS, you have turn on Mobile data??

Need Help? Let's chat.