cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Callers can't hear me

Karyathena
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Just recently, on my less than 2 year old Samsung s10, callers say.they can't hear me. Sometimes speaker works. I can hear perfectly.i have cleaned the mic and tested the mic on video and mic works perfectly on video. PM is saying see a technician. I just do not see what a tech will find if the mic is working perfectly during video recording tests.

15 REPLIES 15

Hotspot is where you can use the data on your cell service and be a wifi access point for other devices.

iirc is "internet speech" for - if I recall correctly.

It's only barely a possibility that the car could be holding on to your bluetooth connection over whatever your distance is between the phone and the car through all the obstacles in the way.

The idea is that the phone might be connected to a device that has mics and that those mics might be off or something.

We're basically grasping at straws.

I set my phone to only be on cell ie. airplane mode off. I turn off cell data, wifi, bluetooth, gps (location services), nfc. I only use those as needed.

I'm sure many people use the automatic features to connect and reconnect to devices just for that convenience.

Stay on cell data for all the social media updates and keep wifi on to connect to any wifi's to conserve that cell data.

Keep bluetooth on to connect to bluetooth headphones or speakers and just leave them connected.

Keep gps on so that their location can be used by apps and the os and with cell data to give them pop ups as they go by businesses and such.

Keep nfc on so that they can just keep using the phone for paying or syncing with others for pictures or tapping tags wherever they use tags rather than turning it on each time.

I do none of the above. Just manual.

Karyathena

Just left cellphone repair shop; the device is working fine, no repairs needed, tech said. 

Karyathena

Thanks for the reply, but I'm not tech savvy so I didn't understand most.of.your answer. I don't know what Hotspot is so I don't think it's on. I don't know what iirc is. I know Bluetooth connects to my car, I don't know about the radio reference: do you mean my callers could be hearing me via my car when I'm in the house? I hear my callers with zero issue, so I have to ask each caller if they can hear me, etc. I don't have any other Bluetooth devices, like earbuds or Alexa.

@Karyathena wrote:

I've has it less than 2 years, bought brand new. It should last longer than 18 months 

HI @Karyathena   it could still happen .

Try your sim card in another phone to rule out the possibility of a device problem

@hTideGnow- It's a reasonable guess. Would you hear your car radio with the windows and doors closed in the car and house and you're somewhere in the house? No. Bluetooth can have some pretty good range. Through the car and the house wall though... But bluetooth can connect to other devices than just headphones. Sometimes even automatically. @Karyathena - Do you use the hotspot function? iirc with an iphone, bluetooth turns on when you turn that on. adding - if you're still around anyway

Karyathena

I've has it less than 2 years, bought brand new. It should last longer than 18 months 

@Karyathena wrote:

Often I'll find Bluetooth on when I haven't slid it on, u think it's from connecting to my car. Cputh thay be it? BT being on? I don't have a head set or earbuds or anything.

HI @Karyathena   I doubt it is the car bluetooth issue.   If bluetooth in the car got the audio, you should hear the voice from your car speaker and you would aware of the problem.

i think it is a faulty device.  You S10 is a years old device, it could happen

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Karyathena wrote:

Often I'll find Bluetooth on when I haven't slid it on, u think it's from connecting to my car. Cputh thay be it? BT being on? I don't have a head set or earbuds or anything.

It may be a long shot, but could your phone be connecting to your car via bluetooth when you're near it?  Not sure of your proximity to the car when this happens.  Just have BT turned on is not a problem unless you're close to the car and it connects without you realizing.  You might want to turn off BT on your phone as a test to see if your callers can hear you via the mic.  I'm not thinking this is it but it's worth a shot.

Karyathena

Karyathena

Thanks! Signal strength is the bars, right? I have 5 bars, 4 are dark one light,  I haven't moved or anything so I'm not sure what could have changed

Karyathena

I don't have a Bluetooth headset but often I'll go to settings and Bluetooth will be on. (I didn't slide it on, I think it's from connecting to my car) is that the same thing? I can make sure Bluetooth is off. Thanks!

Karyathena

Ok, just put my sim in my old phone? It worked fine for calls. Thanks!

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Karyathena , I have initiated calls that had this kind of behavior and have received calls that are like this.  Usually it is explained by poor cell reception.  When this happens, the two parties should check the signal strength.  Phone hardware or software issues cannot be ruled out.  Usually phone issue don't fix themselves.  The toughest bugs to troubleshoot are the intermittent ones.  

pmbc
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Karyathena Could you have a bluetooth headset connected and you're not aware?

@Karyathena wrote:

Just recently, on my less than 2 year old Samsung s10, callers say.they can't hear me. Sometimes speaker works. I can hear perfectly.i have cleaned the mic and tested the mic on video and mic works perfectly on video. PM is saying see a technician. I just do not see what a tech will find if the mic is working perfectly during video recording tests.

For troubleshooting, you'll need to try your SIM card in another device. This would help determine if there is either a device or network issue.

Need Help? Let's chat.