cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low bars in a 4 and 5g area

Kateo
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

When I am at home I have 1 bar/signal but when I check the Public Mobile Coverage page I should have 4g and 5g. I would say more often, I have very limited and pour signal since switching to PM. Is this what I can expect?

12 REPLIES 12

There's no difference between a p-SIM and e-SIM.  They both provide ID for access on the network.  

@will13am   As I said, I don't know much about esim, which is why I suggested contacting customer service if no-one else chimed in, which you/they now have.  Initially my questions were about speed settings in case that could be the problem.  I have an iPhone with a physical sim and only one or two bars typically here but data works just fine, yet the OP's data does not work properly and that's what I was wondering about.  For example, I have one bar on the signal strength indicator but just did a speed test on LTE which was 95Mbps down.

OP said primary was being used and it's turned on.  Since when did a SIM alter signal strength?  

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@will13am  In the screenshot both business and personal have no number and are turned off, is that how it should be with esim?  According to @Kateo they are in a PM 4G/5G area.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Kateo , use this site to check cell tower locations in your are.  If you are far from the nearest tower, reduced signal strength is to be expected unfortunately.  It's good nothing to do with your account or SIM as some would suggest.

https://www.ertyu.org/steven_nikkel/cancellsites.html?lat=45.195843&lng=-77.833575&zoom=7&type=Roadm...

golfball
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

It sounds like Rogers may have better coverage in your area.

To see your available network options you need to tap on Primary below the SIMs (with the little P next to it) and then select Voice & Data to see available options.

IMG_3768.png

@Kateo 

do you see the different network mode here:

1. Settings.
  2. Press Mobile Service.
  3.  Press Mobile Data Options.
  4.  Press Voice & Data.

@Kateo   I don't have esim so mine will be different.  Perhaps the esim is not fully set up.  I don't know much about tweaking them so hopefully someone else will come along with suggestions but if not I would contact customer service, either open a ticket at the chat icon bottom right of this page or send agents a private message using this link 

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437 

An agent will reply at the envelope icon top right of this page or, if no envelope, tap your avatar to the right of the bell icon and there'll be a drop down menu with Messages.

Kateo

hi Phil,

This is what I see when I go into my data. It shows my phone number and that I’m on “primary” but it doesn’t show 4g, or 5g

IMG_7900.jpeg

@Kateo  What is your iPhone set to in Voice and Data?  Mine is on 5G Auto.  I find there is the odd dead spot for data speed but most of the time the speed is pretty good.  

Kateo

Hi Phil,

I’d say it’s hard to gauge because my phone is usually running on wifi at home, I have an iPhone so my messages go through iMessage using wifi most of the time. Last night I was at a friends and I couldn’t even upload a video I took of my kids. On the drive home my car showed that I was on LTE and it showed no signal at all with the phone symbol for most of my drive which is 12 minutes, and I have noticed that symbol coming up a lot. I’m just wondering if this is common, pretty limited service. I switched from Rogers, so I’m just not sure what to expect.

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@Kateo   I often have only one or two bars on the phone at home (rural) but LTE or 5G for data depending where I am.  I've had no problems with the phone except for one dropped call during the known issue, not that I'm usually talking that long on the phone anyway.   How is your data speed on a speed test?  Is it just the number of bars you are concerned about, or do you have a problem with the service?   I was on Rogers before and that was only one or two bars for the most part also and never had a problem.

Need Help? Let's chat.