cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a new phone

mimmo
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

Looking for a new phone $300-350 range.   The Xiaomi poco x3 pro global seems to have a decent positive feed back from ppl on RFD and it's in the budget range.  Worried about the missing bands and how that will affect the phone, a post on RFD said the missing bands are more important in BC vs rest of Canada.    Does anyone here know how big an issue it would be ?  I'm in Victoria BC 

Any other suggestions for an android phone ?

32 REPLIES 32

srlawren

Congrats, @mimmo !  With all of the delays, first of waiting for Google to finally fulfill the pre-order, and now UPS saying my parcel is delayed indefinitely due to the BC flooding, I'm thinking you stand a good chance of getting yours first, despite me ordering nearly a month ago (Oct 24).

@softech wrote:

and given that it is Google, you get at least 5 years of software update (and Google actually like to give longer support than anticipated .. )

@softech  point of clarification: Google has actually only committed to 3 years of software updates and 5 years of security updates.  In other words, it ships with Android 12 and should get updates of Android 13 in 2022, Android 14 in 2023, and Android 15 in 2024, and then continue to get security updates only through sometime in 2026.  

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

mimmo

@softech  trade in value at mobile shop is 2 part, 100$ points for phone then value of phone. So basically minimum $100 in points 

what do you need to trade in with? any junk or different value for different phone?

@mimmo 

Great trade in deal too!

@mimmo   yes, I was walking past couple mobile kiosks today and saw the $40 deals for Koodo and Fido.. I just didn't ask for details and didn't ask how much device credit coming with that.    Mobile plan price still going down.. it was only $40 for 10GB last year i think... 

mimmo

@softech @darlicious , my wife is the one with the main PM account she gets my rewards and referrals (none in a long time), my account is actually new < than 6 months. So my calculations included auto-pay and loyalty on months 12-24

It's not a done deal but fido and Koodo have basically the same deals

Edit @darlicious some old junk phone as long as it turns on and can read IMEI.

@mimmo .. and you factor in the reward you are giving up? lol

@mimmo 

Lol...I didn't even consider that you might leave pm....but you can always ask if they will sell the phone outright. You can redeem up to have of the cost of the phone with points if you happen to have a lot of accumulated points. Otherwise that is a great deal!

What phone are you trading in?

@mimmo  so.. you are telling us you are leaving??    🤔  which provider would it be?

but Pixel 6 is good.. and given that it is Google, you get at least 5 years of software update (and Google actually like to give longer support than anticipated .. )

mimmo

@srlawren , @darlicious  @softech  et all thanks for all the suggestions.  was really considering the ebay oneplus 8,  but then read about the the Mobile Shop Pixel 6 sale my understanding:

• 0 down and $25/month for 24= $600  -$300 points +$100 points (trade in) which can be used towards tab = $672 (taxes)- 400= $272, 
  • then 12gb plan which averages 43.75 vs my current 37.50 or about $150  over the two year period
  • so about $422 total after two years.

@quantum00 wrote:

The "Like new" category sounds kinda too good to be true.

Why would someone just open the box and return the product?

For how long did they use the phone? 1, 2, 3 months?

Actually I had only good experience with 'like new' or 'open box' items. Bought few watches at auction site (pick up at brick & mortar store) and they were just Perfect. Not a scratch, working like a charm. Automatic or battery powered, never had an issue.

Same with items from kijiji. You just have to inspect item before parting with money.

@srlawren wrote:

However, Android 12 is the last version the 7-series will be receiving so it's going to get dated pretty

Why is OS version so important? Are you concerned regarding security updates?

What will be major and so significant difference between Android v7.xx and v11,12,13 that I would need to throw away my phone and buy new one?

srlawren

@darlicious wrote:

Swiftronics has the One Plus 7T for $399.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/oneplus-7t-hd1903-8gb-128gb-6-55-inch-dual-s...

The 7T is getting quite long in the tooth these days.  I have the non-pro version (imported summer 2019 from AliExpress) and it's still decent.  However, Android 12 is the last version the 7-series will be receiving so it's going to get dated pretty quickly.  @mimmo if you only plan to keep it a relative short term then that might be fine, but I'd probably suggest moving up to the 8-series instead if you plan to keep it a couple of years or more--it should buy you an upgrade to Android 13 if they treat the 8-series similar to the 7.

>>> ALERT: I am not a moderator. For account or activation assistance, please click here.

.. and A52 just $489

both are good solid phones

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mimmo : BestBuy new A32 $295. Likely all the other retailers would have the same price as we know sales are all manufacturer driven...not retailer.

mimmo

I will prefer to keep some local store open employing locals. Admittedly, it's difficult.

Soon, the only "store" open would be Amazon warehouse... luckily, they hire employees locally (until the Prime Robots take over the warehouse floor and drones replace drivers)

@Anonymous 

You did pay more because you had specific requirements only available at the time in an unlocked world phone vs a North American model. Foreign Electronics currently has the A32 available in store for $420.

@mimmo 

They are on east Broadway....call them if you like that's where I bought my phone 4 years ago. Two blocks away from me if you need someone to do a visual inspection I am happy to oblige.

https://www.foreignelectronics.ca/unlocked-world-phones/

srlawren

@mimmo wrote:

@softech yeah it's missing some bands but since it was a popular item on RFD I was assuming it was not a critical issue, hence asking for some feedback on this or other decent phones.  Don't want to spend too much as I have bad luck with phones typically.

@mimmo I was going to post a link to my old "Fun with LTE Discovery" thread here as a reference but it seems it got purged by the powers that be.  Sad.  But, that said, you should be okay.  Your phone will fall back to UMTS (3G HSPA) for data if you happen to be somewhere without bands 2/4/5/7.  While it's definitely preferable to have more for enhanced coverage, I'm not sure I'd let it stop me for the right device (provided of course it has 850 and 1900MHz 3G and at least band 4 of LTE, which the X3 Pro does).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@CFPartDeux : I hate mail order. Finding it from a reputable seller, maybe shipping, wait for it, oh it's the wrong thing, maybe pay to ship it back, keep looking, buy another one, wait again. I can't stand it. I want to walk in a store and walk out with the thing I went there looking for...all for as much as online to keep my business. Surely to goodness there's a profit to be had if an online seller can do it.

The phone I bought last year was from a little small store that was in a mall but I ordered it online and they mailed it...so I can find my way to doing it...I just hate it.

Yes, if I can, I will prefer to keep some local store open employing locals. Admittedly, it's difficult.

quantum00
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

The "Like new" category sounds kinda too good to be true.

Why would someone just open the box and return the product?

For how long did they use the phone? 1, 2, 3 months?

@darlicious wrote:

@mimmo 

How about an open box dual SIM samsung A31 for $229? Its out of stock at the moment but they tend to restock within a week or so....I think the brand new one when in stock was $299. I have the A320 and @Anonymous has the A31.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/open-box-samsung-galaxy-a31-4gb-ram-64gb-128gb-dual-sim-factory-unlocked

Stuff from Swiftronics is overpriced.  The open box ads are click bait.  They never seem to have stock, except for models that nobody wants.  I find Mi4Canada slightly better for pricing but nothing beats buying overseas.

https://www.mi4canada.com/

@Anonymous wrote:

Jeez....can anybody find anything in bricks & mortar? I spent pushin' $500 last year for the A31. The spouse just acquired an A32 for the current special price in a store (now using my third "dormant" account). How the heck can one find these things for $300 NIB in a dang store?

The reason why you are paying $500 for a phone worth probably less than $300 is because half the cost is spent on keeping the store open.  Lots of unnecessary overhead.  

CFPartDeux
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Anonymous  People still buy things in..... stores.....!? 😉 😆

Anonymous
Not applicable

Jeez....can anybody find anything in bricks & mortar? I spent pushin' $500 last year for the A31. The spouse just acquired an A32 for the current special price in a store (now using my third "dormant" account). How the heck can one find these things for $300 NIB in a dang store?

@mimmo 

How about an open box dual SIM samsung A31 for $229? Its out of stock at the moment but they tend to restock within a week or so....I think the brand new one when in stock was $299. I have the A320 and @Anonymous has the A31.

https://swiftronics.ca/collections/smartphones/products/open-box-samsung-galaxy-a31-4gb-ram-64gb-128gb-dual-sim-factory-unlocked

mimmo

@will13am  I know I missed the 11.11 day but I don't have a time machine. 😞

Hoping there will be some bf deals to be had but those usually go with overpriced plans.

Good to know about your first hand knowledge. 

@softech yeah it's missing some bands but since it was a popular item on RFD I was assuming it was not a critical issue, hence asking for some feedback on this or other decent phones.  Don't want to spend too much as I have bad luck with phones typically.

NDesai
Oracle
Oracle

What about OnePlus Nord N200 for $320? 

OnePlus Nord N200 5G | OnePlus Official Site Canada
OnePlus Nord N200 5G review: the best cheap 5G phone on T-Mobile - The Verge

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@mimmo , the missing bands should not be a problem.  I have friends out your way that are still use older Xiaomi phones with even more missing bands and do not have issues.  They are on the Bellus network.  BTW, the time to buy the Poco X3 pro was on 11.11.  The coupons that were honored on 11.11 might have expired by now.  

Need Help? Let's chat.