cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long distance in Canada?

SamL
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

So I am under the impression that I have Canada-wide long distance included in my plan. HOWEVER, when I try to make a call from Toronto to New Brunswick (area code 506), I get informed that the call is not covered in my plan and I need to purchase a long-distance add on. IN ADDITION, when I got to the phone menu to try to purchase a long-distance add-on, the only options I am given are US and International. What can I do here?! It’s very frustrating!

9 REPLIES 9

@hairbag1  ah yeah, thanks for the correction - indeed that message would point towards no minutes left on a limited calling plan.

@SamL I also confirmed the canada wide $5/500 mins addon is not available for purchase when calling into 611 - you would have to login to the online selfserve portal..

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@Nezgar...

So I am under the impression that I have Canada-wide long distance included in my plan. HOWEVER, when I try to make a call from Toronto to New Brunswick (area code 506), I get informed that the call is not covered in my plan and I need to purchase a long-distance add on. IN ADDITION, when I got to the phone menu to try to purchase a long-distance add-on, the only options I am given are US and International. What can I do here?! It’s very frustrating!

This type of message is common when the plans calling minutes have run out. Only fix is to get the add-on or wait until plan renewal occurs.

The message you refer to is common when dialing without adding a 1 before area code. In the contacts list, adding the 1 before area code eliminates that dang annoying message...but it won't help if your plan minutes have maxed out.

Nezgar
Mayor / Maire

Notice that the long distance announcement says long distance charges *MAY* apply. It's a generic message that anyone on Telus Mobility, Koodo, and Public Mobile may hear since the network is shared across all three.

Either wait for your call to connect after that message, or prefix the number you are dialing with a 1 to skip it. (And update all the numbers in your address book accordingly too)

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@SamL 

A key question here is, can you make outgoing calls to everywhere else in Canada outside the 506 area code?

If not, it IS likely that you've used your limited minutes allotment, in which case utilize advice of prior users to address that if desired.

If you can, that is very odd.   Try calling another number in the 506 area code (in a different area of New Brunswick) than the one you are calling.  

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@SamL wrote:

Sounds like you could have run outta calling minutes if you have the $15 plan which has only 100 minutes of Canada wide calling. You can get the $5 / 500 minutes of Canada wide calling add-on in that case.

Edit...drats !!

Anonymous
Not applicable

@SamL : Third up from the bottom of the left column. Are you on the $15 plan?

Triguy
Mayor / Maire

Which plan do you have ?  Do you have limited or unlimited minutes ?  Log into your account to see if any minutes are remaining - if you are on a limit minutes and no no minutes appear then they have been used up.

Try dialing 1 infront of the area code.

To purchase Add-Ons using your Self-Serve account, follow these steps:

1. Click on ‘Purchase Add- Ons’ on the Overview tab and scroll down to the Add-On calculator.
  2. Click the plus sign (+) to add and the minus sign (-) to remove selected Add-ons.
  3. When you’ve added all your desired Add-Ons, click ‘Buy Add-Ons’ or ‘Make a Payment’ below the calculator:
    • You will see ‘Make a Payment’ instead of ‘Buy Add-Ons’ if there are not enough funds in your account to make the purchase.
    • If you don’t have sufficient funds to purchase the Add-Ons, you will be asked to make a one-time payment equal to the price of the Add-On, less your current available funds. Click ‘Submit’, then ‘Go back’: now the button below the calculator will say ‘Buy Add-Ons’.
  4. Select ‘Confirm my purchase’, and you’re off to the races!

softech
Oracle
Oracle

did you put a 1 in front of the 506 number?   Also, make sure you are NOT putting 011 before 506, you would have called Costa Rica if that is the case

or do you have a $15 plan? If so, you only have 100 mins Canada-wide..

esjliv
Mayor / Maire

Hi @SamL ,

Yes, you should be able to call NB without issue.

Try adding a 1 in front before the 10 digit number. If you let that message play, will the call connect anyways?

IF not, it could just be a finicky thing, try 1 or more below to reset:

*turn off your phone, leave off for at least 3 minutes, then reboot

*removing your SIM for a few minutes, then reinserting it

*go into airplane mode for a few minutes, then going back to regular mode

*reboot your phone again

Need Help? Let's chat.