cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked out of selfserve

mwkb
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I need to update my billing info but selfserve locked me out. I haven't recently changed my password, so I'm not sure what's up with that. 

I sent a PM to the mods to get help and am posting here as well, in case it helps. 

Why can't I just use 'reset password', you know, like ANY OTHER SERVICE ON THE INTERNET? It's crazy to think that, in 2018, the only way to reset my password is to get a support person involved.

11 REPLIES 11

mwkb

@jwestacott wrote:

Feel your pain and agree this is absolutely ridiculous that you need to wait days for a moderator to get to your account just to reset your password. How can bill a service as Self-Serve and then the most basic of self-service tools (password reset) doesn't work and the service provider doesn't seem to be concerned enough to fix that. Like you mentioned the rest of the internet figured this out like 10+ years ago..... PM needs to wake up because if you want to compete with the big three then you need to offer a comparable service and the fact that a cell provider in 2018 cant get the password reset feature of their website to work is laughable

I agree, but also keep in mind Public is owned by Telus and is effectively just a small part of the big 3. It's cheap for a reason. 

Mods got me sorted out yesterday. Thanks mods! This can't be fun for them, either. 

jwestacott
Great Citizen / Super Citoyen

Feel your pain and agree this is absolutely ridiculous that you need to wait days for a moderator to get to your account just to reset your password. How can bill a service as Self-Serve and then the most basic of self-service tools (password reset) doesn't work and the service provider doesn't seem to be concerned enough to fix that. Like you mentioned the rest of the internet figured this out like 10+ years ago..... PM needs to wake up because if you want to compete with the big three then you need to offer a comparable service and the fact that a cell provider in 2018 cant get the password reset feature of their website to work is laughable

mwkb

@Luddite wrote:

My emergency backup is to make phone calls with the application from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi (or on cellular data). Others, use Google Hangouts.

In my case, vacation = out of wifi range. My main concern is lack of cell data.

mwkb

Thanks - apparently I should not have taken the provided instructions for tagging moderators literally... 

@mwkb wrote:

@ModeratorTeam - anything we can do to speed this along? Service has now stopped on my phone and I need it functional by tomorrow at noon. '48hrs' is unbelievably long... 

My emergency backup is to make phone calls with the application from fongo.com. It provides free calling across Canada from wherever you are connected to wifi (or on cellular data). Others, use Google Hangouts.

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

@mwkb Here is how to get attention to reset password in a post, other than private message.

@CS_Agent Please help reset password for this user.   Thanks.

mwkb

@ModeratorTeam - anything we can do to speed this along? Service has now stopped on my phone and I need it functional by tomorrow at noon. '48hrs' is unbelievably long... 

mwkb

This is no good - I'm on vacation tomorrow and my service was cut off as a result of this issue. 

Effort
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

It's pretty unforunate that the forgot your password being broken for such a long time.

There should be a pretty easy workaround a college student with a little bit of knowledge of perl (for post forms, regular expression verification, and password encryption) and oracle sql (for database select, alter, and insert). Should employ some co-op students.

RobertQc
Mayor / Maire

@mwkb Sorry, sadly the password reset is broken, I know it sucks but you have already contacted the mods so there is not much more you can do but wait they are really busy but will get back to you a soon as they can.

Should be within 48 hours.  No need to send multiple messages or it will just slow down the process unless you forgot to include your identity / pin number for verification then sending a second message (Click to send) will speed it up for you as the first response from them will be "who are you? " or "whats your pin?".  For more information about contacting a moderator Click Here

Why is the Self-Serve password reset functionality not working?

There is a known issue that some Community members are unable to reset their password without the help of our Moderator Team.  

What do I do if I‘m unable to reset my password?

In order to fix this problem, please contact a moderator. From there, they’ll be able to reset the password. Note that you will need to have a Community account in order to do this. Don’t have a Community account yet? Click here.

There are couple of ways you can contact our Community Moderators:

1. Private Messaging: You can do this by searching for our unique Community Moderator’s profile avatar then, on the right-side of their profile, click on “Send this user a private message”
  1. Tagging: If you would like a Moderator to weigh-in on a discussion, simply tag the moderator account in the post you created i.e. @ModeratorTeam

In the meantime, if you need to renew or purchase your plan/add-on very quickly so that your plan does not expire, you can submit a payment through the Automated Service IVR (More information, please see the All about payments article).

Anonymous
Not applicable

@mwkb wrote:

I need to update my billing info but selfserve locked me out. I haven't recently changed my password, so I'm not sure what's up with that. 

I sent a PM to the mods to get help and am posting here as well, in case it helps. 

Why can't I just use 'reset password', you know, like ANY OTHER SERVICE ON THE INTERNET? It's crazy to think that, in 2018, the only way to reset my password is to get a support person involved.

Yup. It doesn't work. It's ridiculous. But you've done what you can so all you can do is wait for your spot in the queue.

Need Help? Let's chat.