cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Leaving PM and want to keep my phone number

emoat
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Help please! My phone number is very important to keep but I found a better plan at freedom moblie.

9 REPLIES 9

I will suggest you look at their coverage map to make sure you are located in the best coverage areas most of your time when you use your phone.  They have great service in larger urban areas, but rely on a different provider in rural areas, and that isn’t always good.

i left Wind, before it was Freedom, I left Rogers before that.  Bell and Telus share the best ocean to ocean coverage of all the providers, and Public Mobile is part of that network.

@hairbag1 wrote:

@emoat wrote:

Help please! My phone number is very important to keep but I found a better plan at freedom moblie.

When you do decide to come back to Public Mobile...don't close out your freedom plan until your number is back active here at Public Mobile.

Oh...you'll be back !

I wouldn't close the Freedom plan at all if porting back to Public in the future. We know that there is a occassional glitch that cause the need to cancel an account that had a port out number ocassionally, but for the most part, customer shouldn't concern themselves with that.  Too often, people understand that an phone number must be active to port out, but mistakenly believe everything is done (when it isn't), call the old provider up to cancel, and then lose the phone number.

Cancellation of service at the old provider is supposed to be automatic.  You are not supposed to concact the old carrier -  unless you owe them money and are contacting them to pay.

geopublic
Mayor / Maire

@emoat wrote:

@emoat 

1. Make sure your PM account remains active 

2. Remove any credit card and disable AutoPay.

3. Signup with Freedom and request them to port your number over from PM.

4. Have your PM account number available, Name  and PIN.

Once the port is complete your PM is closed and you are done.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

@emoat wrote:

When you do decide to come back to Public Mobile...don't close out your freedom plan until your number is back active here at Public Mobile.

Oh...you'll be back !

@emoat wrote:

Just as people make often poke fun at Public Mobile because of self-serve system glitches, the same can be said about people poking fun at Freedom Mobile's network. It isn't good, altough some of their price plans are attractive. Either way, porting over to Freedom Mobile is no different to switching to any other carrier.  Remember that when you have Freedom take possession of the phone number, you will lose any remaining account balance in your Public Mobile account.

mh1983
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

DO NOT close or suspend your PM account. It needs to be an active account for the number to port out successfully. As others said, initiate the port on the Freedom Mobile side.

Sorry to see you go. One thing to consider, though, is that Freedom doesn't have nearly the same breadth of network coverage as PM, but you may know that and understood that you have to pick the plan/service that works for you.

CellGirl
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

@emoat 

if you've never had service in past with freedom mobile, prepare to be disappointed. Cheap prices and unlimited data attract new customers, but the unreliable service isn't worth it. If you still want to port your existing number, ensure your Public Mobile account remains active, but disable autopay first.

GinYVR
Mayor / Maire

@emoatYou will need to tell Freedom you want to port the number to your new plan.. PM cannot help you in that regard.

missorange
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

you just need to port your number to freedom mobile, and you can keep it. just remember to remove your credit card from self account.

Need Help? Let's chat.