cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just bought new SIM, Can Text but unable to make calls

Mega
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen
I am new here and bought a SIM, inserted in to my already unlocked mobile that has these frequencies supported. But unable to make calls. Not even to *611. I had done IMEI number check online on Publick mobile web and it resulted in confirming my mobile phone would work. GSM B3 (1800MHz), B8 (900MHz) WCDMA 900 / 2100MHz FDD LTE B1 / B3 / B5 TD-LTE B40 / B41 Researched a bit to make APN settings update https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/xiaomi-redmi-note-4, but no change even after restart. Can anyone please make suggestion how to get this fixes? Incoming and Outgoing Text message works! But not the calls (neither incoming nor outgoing)
24 REPLIES 24

Mega
Yes, from my read online I agree with you but will get a firm confirmation from Team moderator. Thanks

Mega
I have Xiaomi Redmi 4. From my search online it seems the phone is not compatible but I am not sure. Also texting works but not the call, therefore confused.

Mega
No such option found under my android phone settings to enable/disable calling. Thanks.

will13am
Oracle
Oracle

@Mega, this phone has only one compatible LTE band and none of 3G.  You won't be able to make calls.  Even data is iffy because band 5 is not that popular.  

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Mega What is make/model of your phone? PM does not support GSM, nor the WCDMA (HSPA) frequencies you quoted. See https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/Knowledge-Base/Getting-Started/ta-p/162. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

Mega
Thanks. Will now go to team moderator for more......

Mega
Thanks. Will now go to moderator team.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

one last thing (from me)...go into phone settings and make sure calling is enabled. Hopefully that's all the problem.

@Mega wrote:
Yes, account shows my plan and its active. Usage history does show incoming & outgoing text messages. As I could not do calls, there is no outgoing or incoming calls listed.

So far as the frequencies go if you are able to text, that will not be your issue.

If you have not contacted the @CS_Agent yet follow these instructions and remember to include your account info and 4 digit pin.

To get help with your account, activation, or service?

Please contact the Community Moderator Team to get gelp with your account.

They are Public Mobile support employees who can help with your issue (More details).

Click here to send them a private message.

In your message please include:

PM Phone Number, 4 digit PIN, Account email address, Detailed explanation of your issue

Don't know your pin?--provide any 3 of the following:

Complete mailing address, Email address, Alternate phone number, Date of birth, Last top up date & amount

How long until they reply?:

Office Hours: Mon-Fri 9am to 9pm, and Sat-Sun 9am to 7:30pm [Toronto Time].

Messages are replied to during business hours and in the order they are received

Typical response time is between 1-3 hours, but can be up to 48 hours.

There is no need to send multiple messages.

Some good posts/reads:

Search PM GUIDE to find some great posts and answers to many common questions

Mega
Yes, account shows my plan and its active. Usage history does show incoming & outgoing text messages. As I could not do calls, there is no outgoing or incoming calls listed.

Mega
Is your phone displaying "Public Mobile"? - Yes It does display Public Mobile 4G Did you activate your plan online? - No, I bought this at stores and activated in the store. if yes, login to your account online. Is your account status Active? - Yes, I created an account and logged in to check. It does show as Active. Thanks

@Mega wrote:
My plan ($25 for 30 days) includes: - - Unlimited International Text - Unlimited Provincial Talk

Remember with that plan that it is only province wide talk. Does you account show this plan?

Aso look at your usage history, your phone may have made a few text or even calls upon initial activation?

popping
Retired Oracle / Oracle Retraité

@Mega

Is your phone displaying "Public Mobile"?

Did you activate your plan online?

if yes, login to your account online.  Is your account status Active?

Mega
My plan ($25 for 30 days) includes: - - Unlimited International Text - Unlimited Provincial Talk

Mega
Thanks. I am wondering if there is list of mobile phone frequencies supported from PM listed somewhere. I found this link but not sure how much I can believe on that external link. Research is on........

@Mega

What plan do you have and what does your account say for your plan type?

Mega
Thanks. It is a new connection to PM and not porting number from another provider.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

@Mega wrote:
Thanks. I did those steps already but no luck.

Ask a moderator (Can take up to 48 hrs, 1 message at a time).

If this solves your question, please select my reply as Solution!

Mega
Thanks. I did those steps already but no luck.

Mega
Its a new number/fresh connection to PM

krazykiwi
Mayor / Maire

@Mega wrote:
I am new here and bought a SIM, inserted in to my already unlocked mobile that has these frequencies supported. But unable to make calls. Not even to *611. I had done IMEI number check online on Publick mobile web and it resulted in confirming my mobile phone would work. GSM B3 (1800MHz), B8 (900MHz) WCDMA 900 / 2100MHz FDD LTE B1 / B3 / B5 TD-LTE B40 / B41 Researched a bit to make APN settings update https://apn-canada.gishan.net/en/apn/public-mobile/xiaomi-redmi-note-4, but no change even after restart. Can anyone please make suggestion how to get this fixes? Incoming and Outgoing Text message works! But not the calls (neither incoming nor outgoing)

It is highy recommended to select a temp phone number first. With the temp phone number check that all is working, text in/out, calls in/out and data if you have it then log in to youe account and port your old number. Remember your old number must be with an active account and be in good standing in order to be able to port.

hairbag1
Mayor / Maire

Once you've completed sign-up and selected a cell plan....should work. If you've ported a number from elsewhere, it can take a few hours or more to work itself out. Cycle phone off and on. Once things start working properly, you'll be gad you came to PM.

austinhuang
Town Hero / Héro de la Ville

Did you get a new number or you ported your existing number in PM?

IMEI check gives false positives, but considering you can text people, it should work.

Need Help? Let's chat.