cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a U.S. roaming text-only plan?

jlhopes16
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Is there a U.S. roaming text-only plan? I remember that there was in the past, but I can't find it now.

7 REPLIES 7

@jlhopes16 Yes and yes. Just note that when you go to switch back, your current plan would need to still be available for sale, otherwise you'd have to choose something else (i.e. your old plan won't be held for you).

1000011942.png

jlhopes16
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Thanks Denny. Does that $39 plan include US roaming -- i.e., making calls and sending texts from within the US? It's not clear from the plan description.

And if so, could someone just switch to that plan for a month and then switch back to a cheaper plan later?

DennyCrane
Mayor / Maire

No text only US roaming plan, but there is a $15 Talk/Text roaming add-on that is good for 15 days.

But the full service Canada/US plan are very reasonable at only $39/month for 60GB and unlimited calls and texts.

As noted, you don't need a roaming add-on to be able to receive texts in the US. Your subscription just needs to be active. You won't be able to respond without a roaming package of some sort though, with the exception of iMessage or RCS which can work over wifi.

@Chalupa_Batman wrote:

Rumours are you "may" get text messages free while there but just can't send anything back. This is a hit and miss.

That's not a rumor, and is the way that has always been. It's even documented by Public Mobile to work in that way.

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @jlhopes16 

Rumours are you "may" get text messages free while there but just can't send anything back. This is a hit and miss. You'd have to either purchase a talk/text package which is approx $14 for 15 days which is a pretty solid deal since Telus itself charges $15 a DAY. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

No.

You can get only full US/Can plan = phone and texting.

BKNS27
Mayor / Maire

@jlhopes16 

Sorry, there is no USA roaming for texting.

There is a roaming plan for calling and texting for $15.

IMG_0148.png

Or you can use WhatsApp or TextNow app for free calling and texting through wifi.

Need Help? Let's chat.