cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

US roaming data/text not working

ChanKim
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello

I have not been able to use my add-on us roaming data/text.  I have switched to T-Mobile and AT&T... but when try to call out message indicated my plan is not ... But in fact, I have paid for it.  I tried with two different phones, the same... No text not call can be make or receive.   I had follow as per some people suggested still not working.... Please HELP..

I am in MN, US now

11 REPLIES 11

ChanKim

I am so mad at this -- it seem i made error in my assumption that it was working perfectly -- it was like a roller coaster - lucky for me - my hubby's phone work perfectly... and also lucky we got lost in MN and his google map able to work as mobile data US roaming worked for him.  for whatever the reason our GPS not working.. so weird.  

So lesson learn from this -- if travel outside of Canada - make sure to have 2 different Cell phone providers -- Bell, Rogers, Telus.... NEVER NEVER HAVE THE SAME like i did.... i am thinking to move to different one now.  Don't think i get my money worth for $30 US roaming.

ChanKim

Thank you for all the help people, i see my error.  it was my fault... i had two numbers and i thought i bought for the new number but it end up with the old one... everything is working now...

Thank you for all the help people.👍

@ChanKim If your plan is not a Canada/US plan AND if you didn't purchase a US *roaming* add-on, you won't get service in the US; with the exception of incoming SMS.

ChanKim

the funny part is this -- my hubby's phone work wonderfully with the US roaming text/data -- it work the way it should be.   it is just my phone that does not work..

ChanKim

done all that.. and no dice... i'll reach out to the service agent

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@ChanKim  it is indicated my plan does not include US roaming add-on.  but i checked and verify the payment has been made.  not sure what the heck is going on

Did you buy a Canada-US plan, or an add-on?  You mean you have a Canada only plan and bought a US roaming add-on which was charged but is not showing in your account?   Have you tried dropping the phone to 4G/LTE?    Texting as SMS doesn't need data but picture and group messaging (MMS) does.  If dropping the phone to 4G/LTE doesn't work you might want to get a ticket in with customer service at the chat icon bottom right of this page.  Only other thing I can think of is if there is a VoLTE toggle in the phone settings that is off - the Samsung should have VoLTE at least.

How to change Network Operators on Android

Find network operators by sliding your finger downwards from the top of the screen.

Chalupa_Batman_0-1716064982643.png

Press the settings icon.

Chalupa_Batman_1-1716064982654.png

Press Connections

Chalupa_Batman_2-1716064982644.png

Press Mobile Networks

Chalupa_Batman_3-1716064982597.png

Press Network operators

Chalupa_Batman_4-1716064982559.png

Press Select Manually and wait till your phone searches available networks.

Chalupa_Batman_5-1716064982577.png

Press the either AT&T or T-Mobile - I found T-Mobile worked better in Minnesota. 

Chalupa_Batman_6-1716064982594.png

Make sure you slide open the Data Roaming Turned On. Then Press the Home key to return to the home screen.

Chalupa_Batman_7-1716064982538.png

Now reboot and you should be ready to go!

Created by Chalupa Batman

If this still doesn't work and you need to reach out to a CS Agent. Just know that there will be a long delay to get back to you.

To Submit a ticket, please click the following link to access the Public Mobile Chatbot:  https://widget.telus.tiia.ai/publicmobile/publicmobile.html  Type: Customer Service Agent

Chalupa_Batman_0-1716065341051.png

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: I am not a Public Mobile employee. I am a customer just like you. Please do not send me a private message with your personal information. 

ChanKim

it is indicated my plan does not include US roaming add-on.  but i checked and verify the payment has been made.  not sure what the heck is going on

ChanKim

now it seem i could text as sms- not in group... but out/in call -- still no dice...

i have moto g53 5g and also Samsung Galaxy A24

Chalupa_Batman
Mayor / Maire

Hello @ChanKim 

What phone do you have? Do you know if it is VoLTE enabled? I've been in the US as recently as a month ago with no issues. 

Phil_Adelphus
Mayor / Maire

@ChanKim   What phone do you have?  Is data working?  The common problem for voice calls in the USA is having a non-VoLTE phone because there is no more 3G there.  If that's the case you could try connecting to T-Mobile's 2G if it is still available in the area you're in.  Data roaming needs to be turned on.  I'm not sure why texting is not working.  If the phone is set to 5G then drop it to 4G/LTE and try that on both T-Mobile and AT&T.

Need Help? Let's chat.