cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it normal my MB are going down?

Hus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Ok for the past few days I am trying to figure out what eats my data and what doesn’t. Today I checked my data and I had 12.53MB used (I have the 250MB plan) then I went for a walk and when I came back it said 7.26 MB used. That was a nice surprise since I have been trying to find out why my data was going down. But is that normal? Isn’t it supposed to be more than 12.53MB? I am a little confused🤔

449684B2-44D1-4D33-BC5B-CFDC1AB9F0E2.jpeg

E4B7A589-D17A-4923-91EB-5F20510949B1.png

3 REPLIES 3

In my steps above, the first number is your starting point. The second number is the buffer plus any little bits the phone wants to use for sync-ing. The third number removes the buffer leaving you with the bit the phone wanted.

Hus
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Thank you so much! So the second number I see (the 7.26MB) is the actual date I have used so far?

dust2dust
Mayor / Maire

What you're likely seeing is the system dropping a buffer of data. When you turn on data, the system opens up a buffer. That counter will look like it has taken the data. Then turn off data. After a period of time (usually overnight so that's different in your case), the system will drop that buffer. It will then look like a little less. Keep up with those little spinner refresh icons.

You can see this for yourself.

Turn off data, turn on airplane mode, click the little spinner refresh icon - write down the number.

Turn off airplane mode, turn on data, click the little spinner refresh icon - write down the number.

Turn off data, turn on airplane mode, click the little spinner refresh icon - write down the number.

The difference is made up of some data the phone took and that buffer.

Need Help? Let's chat.