cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Public Points worth it?

Qman
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

Hello, I recently noticed that Public Mobile has added a new Public Points system, which would replace the current rewards system I'm using (I'm supposed to be getting $3 off of my plan every month currently). I read up on this new Public Points system and was wondering if it was worth switching to that system or just keeping the rewards system I'm currently using.

Thank you in advance.

14 REPLIES 14

Ego

for the quick math on this if anyone’s interested: (i’m not including friend recommendations as the $value is the same)

• 0.05(5%) x $140 plan = $7
  • $2 autopay + 5 years loyalty = $7

but wait i hear you say “you get bonus points for points too”… okay

• 0.95 x ($1,680 - $10 points every year) = $1586.5/year or… $132.21/month

even if you went for the most expensive public mobile plan ($85 a month not including the $10 rebate for 90days)

• $85 - $7 = $78/month
  • $1,020 – $84 (= $7 x 12) = $936/year

that might feel unfair to you… i wasn’t using the same number, well for any curiosity here’s all that i thought of.

• [points section]
  • 0.95 x ($1,680 - $10) =$1586.5/y
  • 0.95 x ($1020 - $10) = $959.5/y
  • [my plan] 0.95 x ($360 - $10) = $332.5/y
  • you can also take $5 for the sign up and $60 ($1/month) as a 1 time bonus off if you base it off 5 years
  • (not saying you should convert right before you plan to switch companies but… it would be the smart thing to do)
  • <~~~~~~~~>
  • [old system: going off 5 year loyalty]
  • $1,680 - $84 = $1596/y [oh look points win one]
  • $1,020 – $84 = $936/y
  • [my plan] $360 - $84 = $276/y 

conclusion: ok sure if your blasting away on add-ons every month and somehow make your way up to $140 a month sure… sounds like this will get you a discount… or you could idk find something else, even go with a telus plan that has unlimited data and you’ll get it for way cheaper especially with a family plan or hell, take a trip down to the usa, make a buddy, and get them to buy you a phone plan & just pay them every month and you can get unlimited world wide super cheap.

i mean i’m just spitballing out ideas here, that’s probably illegal, i’m not recommending it, but if you do “borrow” a friends 2nd phone, make sure to give them a call on it every once and a while to say how much you appreciate them for the help after your favourite mobile network got closed down by the parent company.

peace, love, and all friends.

cischieck
Great Neighbour / Super Voisin

Hello! I recommend staying with the old program as long as possible! The reason for this is you get more $ back for loyalty rewards. For example, I’ve been with Public Mobile for 4 years and get $4 off per month for loyalty rewards (48$/year). This is MUCH better than the ~$10/year they are offering through the loyalty points program. If you’re planning on staying long-term, don’t switch to points.

iamfernandan

That was my question too, but I was reading through the info on their site, I realized it's not really worth it to switch because I would lose money if I did. I am sticking with the old rewards system. 🙂

farmbot
Model Citizen / Citoyen Modèle

farmbot_3-1644075917171.jpeg

softech
Oracle
Oracle

Thanks @darlicious  , made some changes to the wordings on my post  🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@softech 

Unless I'm reading your post wrong the difference for the first two years is as follows:

1. After the first 12 months a customer on the points program receives for loyalty=10 points (value=$10).
  2. A customer on the rewards program after 12 months recieves=$0 but begins to recieve $1/month for the next 12 months.
  3. After 24 months a customer on the points program will recieve another 10 points (value=$10) Total recieved after 24 months=10pts+10pts=20pts Total (value=$20)
  4. A customer on the rewards program after 24 months will have recieved for the previous 12 months $1/month for loyalty rewards=$12 in loyalty rewards for the previous 24 months.The next 12 months the customer begins to recieve $2/month in loyalty rewards.
  5. A customer on the points program after 36 months will recieve another 10 points. Total recieved for the previous 36 months=30 points (value=$30)
  6. A customer on the rewards program receives $2/month=$24 for the previous 12 months. Totalling $0 (first 12 months)+$12 (second 12 months)+$24 (third 12 months)=$36 total loyalty rewards after 36 months. $6 more in value than the points program.
  7. After 60 months has passed the customer on the points program receives a total of 50 points (value=$50). After 72 months=60 points ($60) 84 months=70 points ($70) or every 5 years = 50 points ($50)
  8. After 60 months has passed a customer on the rewards program will have recieved after each 12 months=$0+$12+$24+$36+$48=$120+$60 (after 72 months)=$180 Every 12 months after 72 months has passed the rewards customer recieved $60/year or $300 per 5 years. The points program customer recieves 50 points per 5 years. $250 less in value or $50 less in value per year.

To contact customer support click below:

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

softech
Oracle
Oracle

@Qman 

in summary  

1.  $2 Autopay is no longer there and replaced with 5% ,  you get less (but you get 5% for your other Add-on purchases as well)
  2. No more loyalty rewards, meaning the loyalty discount of $1/month up to $5/month will disappear. Instead, they will only give $10 each year on the anniversary.

For someone with PM between 1st to 12th month
                  The old reward system will give $0 that year, versus $10 at the end of the 12th month with thew new system
    For someone with PM between the 13th and 24th month:
                    The old reward program will give $12 that year ($1/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 24th month with the new system
    For someone with PM between months 25th and 36th:
                   the old reward program will give $24 that year ($2/cycle), versus $10 at the end of the 36th month with the new system
    for someone with PM between months 61 and 72 (and every year after that after that point)
                  the old reward program will give $60/year ($5/cycle) versus $10/year under the new system 

3. You can no longer apply $1 or $2 you got to the bill right a way, you have to collect enough to 15 points to cash out $15 in one shot
    Also, you have to remember to convert your points to dollars once it reaches 15 points.  PM no longer automatic apply the reward discount.

On the other hand, the goodies for new system,

- 5% Points back for add-on purchases as well

- add-ons are around 33% cheaper when you redeem with Public Points
- you can use 1 point for lucky draw, so, technically you bet $1 and can win an iPhone 🙂

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@computergeek541 

The only advantage I can see to switching to the new points program would be if a customer is planning on leaving and would want to "cash out" the loyalty points bonus 1pt/month before leaving by purchasing discounted add ons for example for US roaming add ons for a trip to the US or the 10pt/1gb add ons. Even then "selling" the account could still be a more lucrative option.

https://productioncommunity.publicmobile.ca/t5/notes/composepage/note-to-user-id/22437

To pre-verify your account include your full name, address, email, phone # and 4 digit acct pin #

@Yummy wrote:

There is a spreadsheet provided to do your own analysis if it is worth to you to switch to Points.

Be VERY careful what you decide to do as there is no coming back to existing system.

Points are default for new customers and existing have it as an option to switch or not.

That spreadsheet fails to show customers what happens further into the future than 2 years. For a customers who has just joined and doesn't yet have any loyalty rewards or loyalty points, the new system can work out better for the first 2 years. However, this is only because the system front loads the points in the first year. 

I realize that as of Janaury 25, new customers don't have a choice, but for those on the old rewards sytem, I almost can't think of a single scenario that it would be in the customers favor to switch except for a rare care of someone who spends an extremely high amount on add-ons.  Even someone on the highest priced $70 plan is better off on the old rewards system. The elimination of the old style of loyalty rewards means that things get worse after years 2 through 5 (and beyond).  The spreadsheet doesn't show that.

All of this isn't to say that the points system isn't a bad one, but it is much worse than the old rewards system.  I can't recommend that anyone switch to the new points system. 

Yummy
Mayor / Maire

There is a spreadsheet provided to do your own analysis if it is worth to you to switch to Points.

Be VERY careful what you decide to do as there is no coming back to existing system.

Points are default for new customers and existing have it as an option to switch or not.

Luddite
Oracle
Oracle

@Qman  Points programme is useless for you. You're at $3 per 30 days today which will continue to increase by $1/yr until you reach $7  The comparable on the new plan is 10 points per year, plus 5% of plan cost per 30 days. 

>>> ALERT: I am not a CSA. Je ne suis pas un Agent du soutien à la clientèle.

darlicious
Mayor / Maire

@Qman 

No.

While you can get a slightly higher autopay reward points (5%) on plans $50+ the loyalty rewards you will lose after 2 years are significant. After the 5 year mark loyalty rewards per year are worth $60 vs loyalty points of 10 pts=$10. So you will recieve $50 less per year in points. The slight increase in autopay points will never make up that difference. Stick with rewards.

0PX9O4
Deputy Mayor / Adjoint au Maire

@Qman 

It might be good to stay on the old rewards plan, especially since switching away would be a one-way (irreversible) decision.

HALIMACS
Mayor / Maire

@Qman 

If you're on a plan less than $40/cycle, I'd recommend remaining on the old program.

The points for plan value + loyalty do not measure up to the old plan, especially for the $15 & $25 plans.

Need Help? Let's chat.