cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

International calls cutting out every 15 mins.

Janey2
Good Citizen / Bon Citoyen

I signed up for the December free international calls.  I called to Wash state and every 15 minutes my call was cut off.  I would just call back and we would talk for another 15 minutes until I was cut off again.  This repeated six times.  What is going on?.

14 REPLIES 14

@Janey2Are you on a $15 or lower plan?

With the current $15 plan, any outgoing usage over your 100 minutes included with your 30 day plan will start deducting from any add-ons. The Long distance holiday add-ons will also cover canada-wide calling over your base 100 minutes. Maybe you used them all up?

Janey2

All my free intl minutes are gone from my account. What happened. It was the Christmas mixtures that were offered for free 

@Janey2 - I'm also interested in hearing the results of your next call to Washington state.

One thing that comes to mind since I've been involved in some VoIP phone systems - the 15 minute cutoff sounds suspiciously like some misconfigured session or keepalive timers on a SIP call - It would be interesting to ask the person you are calling if they are using some sort of VoIP or Internet based telephone service. This might be an issue for others calling them more than 15mins too, but maybe they haven't had an incoming call long enough to notice until now. When this happens the call doesn't "drop" but it stays connected with silence. If the problem is on their line, the call can sometimes be recovered by them putting the call on hold with link/flash, then again to return to the call.

If you want to test further on your own side, there are some US and canada echo test service numbers you can use without bothering other people here:

https://thetestcall.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-test-numbers.html

Janey2

Thanks for your suggestions.

i rebooted my phone then called someone else in Hawaii.  The problem did not repeat itself.  I will try calling the number I had the issue with tonight.

love all the suggestions !

Janey2

I rebooted my phone and called another US number.  The problem was not repeated.

Janey2

Cool, I had not realized that.

well, I rebooted my phone and called my bro in law in Hawaii.  The phone didn’t cut out (and it he says Hawaii is lovely today).  Tonight I will try calling the number I was call8ng when I kept getting cut off.

thanks for your help.

Janey2

A good idea.  I just need to do it when I feel like talking to someone for 15 mins or more.  Thanks

@Janey2 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions hairbag.  I just wanted to avail myself of the free international calling for the month so would like a solution to be able to use it.

i will try another friend in the US and see if that works but first I am rebooting my phone.  I find it weird that the call kept being cut off.

It is weird. I wonder if the issue isn't on the other end though. Good luck in your quest.

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Janey2 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions hairbag.  I just wanted to avail myself of the free international calling for the month so would like a solution to be able to use it.

i will try another friend in the US and see if that works but first I am rebooting my phone.  I find it weird that the call kept being cut off.

The free international promo is not just for December. The unused international minutes roll over each cycle until consumed.

Janey2

@Janey2...

a suggestion work-around is to get the free TextNow app. As long as you have a wifi signal, you can call / text to Canada or US for free.

Maybe try using the sim in a different phone, if you have one available.

Maybe the call is ended on the other end. Is there a different number you can try calling instead ?

JK8
Mayor / Maire

@Janey2 wrote:

this is happening when I make an international call.  I have only called one n7mber and it repeated severes the connections after 15 mins.  Iphone6 which has no other issues with local calls or noth8ng else.  It severed at regular intervals.

have not tried rebooting yet.

Is there any other international calls you can make to someone else to guarantee that it is not a problem on the other end with the first person?

Janey2

this is happening when I make an international call.  I have only called one n7mber and it repeated severes the connections after 15 mins.  Iphone6 which has no other issues with local calls or noth8ng else.  It severed at regular intervals.

have not tried rebooting yet.

Dunkman
Oracle
Oracle

@Janey2 

Does this happen with local calls?  Which model phone?  Some older phones may not have all the necessary bands for PM.

Maybe your reception in your area is spotty at times.  

Maybe try rebooting your phone.

Need Help? Let's chat.